Digitone hanging on boot, are we still assuming it's the capacitor?

Do you expect everything to work without fail for the rest of history? It is impossible to put out a product without a few of them failing. For instance, once you finish developing a product, do you just not sell it for 10 years to make sure it can last 10 years? How do you test longevity on a product without just waiting the length of time you want your product to last? How are companies supposed to make innovative things, but that also have 100% reliability rate? The only way to judge them is if these problems are widespread, and they do not respond to them reasonably. And you being on Elektronauts is going to make any problem seem much more widespread than it actually is, and from what I can tell most people are pretty satisfied with elektron’s customer service.

3 Likes

Can we not turn this thread into a whingefest please.

It might actually end up being of help to someone, should they find themselves in a similar situation, so let’s cut all the shit out.

5 Likes

So for those that care, here’s a little progress report.

Been doing some troubleshooting with Elektron this morning and I finally managed to get it to spot an error, albeit briefly.

Still waiting to hear back what it might mean while I spend the evening trying to track down my old midi interface for some computer-based fun times trying to see if I can fix it.

Interestingly, when test mode isn’t reporting the error (which is about 95% of the time) it has the UI FIRMWARE as 1.5, but here it’s 1.0. there’s some pretty serious chins being scratched between here and Gothenburg right now…

7 Likes

I think you got some ghosts in your machine there. Definitely gonna need a Catholic priest.

1 Like

A new one…

1 Like

I’m curious, how did you get to spot the error? Was it by simply rebooting into test mode over and over until you caught it?

Thanks for reporting back with details. People from the future might find this helpful – likely myself included, because I’ve seen a brief moment of a Digitone hanging on boot, but it went away.

1 Like

Interesting….
Curious to see what it turns out to be.
Sorry that this is happening to you.

1 Like

I didn’t realize the UI firmware and OS were separate. I’m sure their developers will spot the problem soon. That intermittent version mismatch seems like a big ass clue. This is making me want to work for Elektron… I want to get in on this kind of troubleshooting, with access to info on Elektron internals!

1 Like

Yep.

1 Like

Things are happening…

1 Like

i hope your DN feels better soon! :pray:
also omg that audio interface is a blast from the past.

1 Like

Yeah, cheap, a bit nasty, but it never let me down.
The MIDI interface on it is useful too…

2 Likes

Booooooooo!

1 Like

All avenues explored. All my novice attempts to fix it have failed.

One of the developers has looked into it and they’re not completely sure what’s going on, so it’s going off to Gothenburg for some tests.

5 Likes

I have a PreSonus compressor that’s probably 10+ years older than that interface. It’s still working perfectly. I think their build quality is really good

1 Like

Little update.

Sent it off to Elektron HQ yesterday via DHL, just got the notification that they have received it.

So that’s my house in Loughborough to Elektron in Gothenburg in under 24 hours.

Big up yourselves DHL, you’ve just earned yourself a new customer.

4 Likes

How much was it? I want to do the same :wink: At least with the funky track buttons.

12 buttons cost about 24 euro. I think they’re about 2 euro each. shipping is extra.

just to note, I thought I had to dismantle my digi to remove em. bought star hex screwdrivers n had the circuit board out before realizing you just have to pop the buttons off with a suitable implement from the outside :laughing:

3 Likes

So I got my Digitone back on Thursday, fully working and good as new. So from first fault to completely fixed in just under two weeks, all under warranty.

This is why I use Elektron gear.

Just got an email from Christian at Elektron, he wasn’t entirely sure of the problem, but they’ve put a new CPU in it.

So I guess the moral of the story is that it isn’t always the capacitor and Elektron’s service is still second to none.

I’m off to play with my Digitone now.

Bye.

15 Likes