Digitone freezing when changing patterns

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere (I did search), but my Digitone has recently started hanging/freezing when switching patterns. This only happens after I’ve gone through a couple patterns and then switch back to the original one, but interestingly it happens every single time at the same place in the sequence. All buttons get frozen, and the sound is replaced with a high-pitched whine–has to be shut down and restarted. Very simple connection: just acting as master clock to a M:S.

Anyone dealt with this before? I’ve only had it a few months, so it’s definitely under warranty, etc. Thanks!

Huh… and now it’s not turning back on sometimes (about half the buttons light up for a second). After flipping the switch a bunch of times/waiting a while, it finally came back on. Then it did it again a few times. This doesn’t seem good…

I had this once. Not the same as you describe regarding going back to a pattern, but the fifth pattern of one of my projects will consistently crash the system and produce a high pitched tone when it reaches a certain step. I just chalked it up to having done something too crazy for the box to handle (because I’m so cool haha) and moved on. Seriously, though, I’ve never had the same issue again with any other projects. If you can consistently replicate the error, though, be sure to submit a support ticket with as much detail as possible on Elektron.se

1 Like

Thanks–I just submitted a ticket. The sequence I programmed was actually really simple, so that isn’t the issue. The part about not turning back on (it turns out until I disconnect the power source and plug it back in) suggests a bad unit. Anyone had any experience with getting a replacement from Elektron? I’ve only had it a few months.

1 Like

I heard right back from Elektron support, which was nice, but the only suggestion was that it might be a midi feedback loop, which doesn’t seem likely since only the out (din) port is connected. I did learn, though, that I shouldn’t immediately try to restart the DN after it crashes!

1 Like

Also true for DT.
Think you have to wait 30s or 1mn.

Just in case anyone is following this, I tested the problem without being hooked up to anything else, and it still happens–so it’s not a midi feedback loop. On top of everything, one of the cursor keys has been sticking really badly.

I’m going to send it back to the store for a refund–I’m really disappointed about this, since it was my first Elektron box and I really loved it when it worked. But this has me questioning Elektron’s QC, so I’m not sure I can justify buying another one. Bummer.

2 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear that it’s a hardware problem. Sadly, a small proportion of any manufacturer’s instruments can have problems. Either your retailer or Elektron’s three-year warranty should cover to get it fixed. I hope it doesn’t put you off Elektron gear, especially since you have enjoyed the DN so much.

This happens to me in the same pattern but instead of a certain Part of the sequence breaking the DN Its when I use the bank plus track channel Combo to do solos mutes on a certain track (track 2 which runs some unison lips on all 8 voices) after this it freezes (same display but nothing can be input ) and that long high pitched constant tone. I have not encountered this on other projects though. But maybe the occasion EXECPTION glitch. Which means your DN excepts you as a human being and your gunna do just fine.

Same exact thing just started happening to my DT down to half the lights working on a failed reboot. tried updating the os and i ran a test mode and 0 errors found.

Bummer! All I can say is that I sent mine back to the retailer (I was still in the return window), and ordered a new one. I haven’t had a problem yet with the new unit. Good luck!