Digitone for EDM and modern sound?

I really loved the 4 Digitone presets available to play online on the Elektron website. I love the demos and the boards of canada sound on it.

Im interested in Pop, Future House, Electro House sound pallet, EDM stuff… Since many artists of these genres use FM synths like FM8 and others to create bass i guess the DN would be good choice. But i would like to hear your opinion guys. Would the DN fit in this kind of sound? From the demos i heard the DN has a punch but clean sound, which i love.

Digitone does awesome basses. If these sounds that you are looking for are made with FM then the DN will do those very well. I just think that a wavetable synth would be the ideal synth for EDM.

1 Like

Yeah, it would be perfect for it IMO (if you’re sure you want to do EDM / future house / etc with hardware rather than plugins). The amount of modulation you can add in with the Elektron sequencer helps as well.

The only thing missing for me is easy parameter slides and portamento/legato, that’s the main reason I’ve held off getting one for now.

1 Like

I’m not to clued up on these new fangled genre names, but if you’re thinking Skrillex, it can. Obs that style uses a lot of extra signal processing but yeah it can scream like an iron monkey from the fire realm, yes sir, yes it can.

I’d be very confident in using it for DnB, Glitch hop, neuro, Dubstep, 4x4 sorta sounds. There’s just far too many sleepy folk on youtube using it for ambient spacey stuff… if that floats ya boat thats fine, but it’s not near enough warning to the world that DN is a twisted little bitch underneath it all.

6 Likes

It’s quite capable in the bass department. However, I find myself using it more for percussion in this context. It’s an absolute monstrosity for this. :smiley: It’ll also fill most bass needs though, and do it in the most animated and spacious way. You’ll still want an analog around, but the DN should exceed your expectations. I’m more on the Techno side, but it’ll work across all of your genres. Even into the Latin percussion areas for the more housey stuff.

1 Like

It’s an FM synth , that’s what all the EDM kids really want to hear fuzzed up in their ear holes! But yeah uhm skrillex’s dubstep album was all FM8 VSt, that’s EDM right ?!

1 Like

It’s really not the gear man it’s the :ear: ear , if you wanna make EDM you can make it with any gear really…

2 Likes

I honestly believe you can make any genre with a digitone and I don’t even have one! :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Thanks guys!! Your comments really help me. Im definitely going to buy one!

does the digitone has parameter slides ?

Not in the way that they’re implemented on other (older) Elektrons. You can p-lock LFOs to manually slide individual parameters. On e.g. the Monomachine, you get a slide track that lets you specify trigs to slide between and all the parameters automatically slide, without using up LFOs.

Nice! Yeah thats what im thinking of! I’m not familiar with Glitch hop,
could you recommend some tunes?

Man I was obsessed with glitch hop a few years back. Sad it didn’t become more of a thing but, oh well… here’s some of my faves

1 Like

I agree @J3RK the popular videos with Digitone seem to explore ambient stuff a lot more than anything else. I saw one guy doing a bit of drum’n bass though. So I needed to dive into that a little and try:

(Obviously massive use of p-locks)

2 Likes

Can you point me to any any other examples of harder stuff done with Digitone?

8 Likes

Aw damn! Bringing me back to System Upgrade and The 6ixth Session! So good!