Digitone for classic 80s/90s r&b sounds?

Just wondering if there’s anyone else out there that uses Digitone for more r&b style sounds? I’ve been really inspired by artists like Sade and have made some sounds on the Digitone that fit that style well, but tend to break out my Reface DX for the classic tine electric piano sounds and pads. For the sake of space, versatility, and the sequencer I’d like to try and get those sounds out of the Digitone. I don’t see why that would be implausible as the reface dx is also only 4 operators and they have some similar algorithms.

Would love feedback from anyone that uses the Digitone for r&b/jazz/soul or even sound packs would be rad.

5 Likes

Got a track that represents the sound you are looking for specifically? I will give it a listen and let you know.

1 Like

I don’t think the Digi is great at doing those types of sounds. It has great percussion, minus realistic sounding snares. I think a lot of the keys are a bit too glassy for RnB, but they could work. I would recommend something that can do Rhodes sounds better. Maybe the Reface CP

1 Like

R&B classics from the 1980’s and 90’s are full of DX-7 FM E. Piano 1 and 2 from the factory presets. Why wouldn’t you be able to make such a sound on the digitone?

2 Likes

Specifically, Sade has a bunch of Rhodes in her music. I mean if you want that type of sound the Digitone doesn’t do it well. It does have a ton of Epiano sounds though, just don’t think they sound ‘Sade’

I guess when I think R&B fm sounds the 80’s and 90’s, I think of Whitney Houston and the like. Since OP mentioned the Reface DX and it’s Epiano and Pads I was assuming they meant this type of electric piano.

There are several digitone factory presets that sound rather close to the sounds in the video, such a B:025 EPIANO MF. The part to remember is to connect an external keyboard and turn on velocity (the menu is :gear: > sounds > set up > velocity mod) on the digitone, since a lot of the expressiveness comes from the velocity of the strike changing the FM depth, changing the tone in a similar way to the Rhodes. You can route velocity to four different places, so fm depth might be the most useful for electric piano but you can do a lot with routing velocity.

@cuckoomusic made a bunch of patches made for keyboardists that might interest you.

2 Likes

I think it does some of those sounds well, not necessarily Rhodes emulations but more of the classic pad sounds/bell and chime sounds and other bits and bobs. I agree a staple of so many songs of that era relied on Rhodes type sounds with differing flavours. Lots used real Rhodes’ thru chorus etc. Mike Lindup of Level 42 used a Rhodes live for years.

Agree with what’s been said here - a lot of the Digitone presets are good starting points but they don’t necessarily get you all the way there. I think that’s partially due to the effects as well, as they sound quite modern and don’t scream 80’s / 90’s R&B.

The other thing is most FM sounds of the 80’s weren’t paired with a subtractive-style filter like the Digitone. You could start by taking some of the more E-piano focused presets, taking the filter out, and then tweaking from there.

I think its definitely a capable synth for those types of sounds, though it wouldn’t necessarily be my first choice for them. Agree that a sound pack is much needed! thought about making one myself, so if I do, will let you know!

Thanks yall. I appreciate the comments! Between the Reface DX and the Air Velvet 2 vst I have the Rhodes/DX style ep sounds that I like to use covered, I was just hoping to be able to use the Digitone to do them out of convenience.

I created a patch on the Digitone that is like 70 percent there, just not punchy/glassy enough I guess. Hard to explain, but also I’m relatively new to this stuff.

Will probably just stick to using the DN for pads, leads, and arps (which it does great).

Can I make this song on the Digitone?

5 Likes

Please, won’t somebody accept this challenge? I think this might be some of the most nostalgic 90’s r&b for me personally.

1 Like

Haha, my man busted out the dire docks. I love this track.

1 Like

I’ve actually created some patches that were my attempts. I can share them when I get home.

1 Like

don’t have any tips to add here, but i’m also into the idea of making new jack swing style music with modern machines. i’ve been on a personal quest making some meaty late 80s-early 90s style synth bass tones recently, but not with a digitone. it’s definitely a fun challenge.

1 Like

Surely a rompler is the answer here. Big ol’ 90s rompler. No?

3 Likes

Honestly, would love an M1 rack module.

1 Like

maybe find a d-50 or pick up the d-05. all those overtly synthy basses and brasses are taking me back. man… so many jams from back then…

1 Like
4 Likes

just wanted to post my vid here, then saw you already did it … thanks :blush: