Digitone for Bass?

How is the Digitone for big bouncy basslines?

I want to be able to answer this question… just waiting on the preorder!

2 Likes

Very good, probably.

1 Like

Don’t have the Digitone, but some experience with FM.

Depending on what you mean with “bouncy”, I would say yes. FM basses can be very big, in-your-face, gritty, vowel-like, angry, have much low end to it, can easy cut through the mix. The tones are very flexible, much more, if compared to the subtractive synthesis of usual synths. It’s a question to set the various possible modulations right. But maybe the Digitone is not capable of some modulations, which I have in mind. The FM in Digitone has been simplified.

I wouldn’t say funky Moog or ARP like bass sounds are impossible, but it’s not the strength of FM. Combining FM with the filter might the Digitone possibly get there too, because the filter makes this kind of “bouncy-ness” in first place.

2 Likes

If the Digitone can pull off deep modern bass sounds as well as metallic percussive clangs then I’m definitely getting one. Just gotta wait until more demos come out.

4 Likes

Fm is usually very good at that

1 Like

Basswise its possible to go big with even just 2OPs, so even if they have “simplified” FM, it still remains complex. And 4 animated operators IS complex. A good example is Monomashines FM, which is good. Personally my favourite kind of basslines are achieved with FM synthesis.

2 Likes

on a video posted here DN bass sounds juicy and powerful. some GAS on this area.

1 Like

Yes I looked thru all bass sounds and tweaked some of them, they all sound good. Chorus added they sound great. I think Digitone is great for bass lines. Filters also help a lot to boost certain frequencies.

1 Like

Bass examples please! I can imagine it can get pretty growly with the overdrive too, not just bouncy and metallic. Maybe my Minitaur will have to make room for this guy.

2 Likes

FM basslines are the best. This is a pretty classic FM bassline.

12 Likes

I think it does not have a glide functionality which is a bummer while making basslines :confused:

4 Likes

i guess the slide p-lock option has a range of fun idea potentialities … but yes the glide sound is very cool. anyway the Digitone has many uses more than just basslines. A video that Dataline made totally inspired me, in particular. He was playing spacey funk with the Digitakt and the Digitone.

I can confirm. FM Bass from the Digitone can be very sharp, so well defined,and deeeeeeeeeep

2 Likes

It’s great for bass! Tight and punchy or very deep and rumbling.

4 Likes

I’m sure it will do fine! While some synths are made specifically for bass duties and others are known for it, I’ve honestly never met a synth that I couldn’t squeeze some useable bass sounds out of.

1 Like

Use a oneshot LFO against Pitch, voila, Instant Glide.

3 Likes

I appreciate the resourceful thinking here but it’s not going to get you gliding between two notes without a stupid amount of tweaking to avoid pitch discontinuity, and it will sound different from legato portamento. I personally am also eagerly hoping that elektron adds portamento to the DN

2 Likes

Not true, if you need to have legato portamento you have the LFO against pitch, one shot. set to zero by default, and you plock it to the value you need it slide to for the notes you need.

If you need to have it for live playing, then you can map the lfo depth to the mod wheel.

I actually find it more reliable and useful when programming than portamento.

8 Likes

cool LFO technique!