Digitone / Digitone Keys: bug reports

Anyone encountered a bug where the DN freezes with a continuous high pitch note?

I reported a bug where it happened with DN being MIDI sequenced with OT. They could reproduce the bug but I got it once more some days ago just starting a project from scratch.
I was tweaking voice allocation when it occured and did not have chance to save the project.

Quite preoccupying as I have the DN since some weeks only and the 2 times i spent a bit of time trying to go deeper with i encountered that same bug.

I have this issue almost every time I use DN, to the point that I’ve just stopped using it altogether, its too much of an annoyance to persevere with, especially as it happens so regularly.

You didn’t happen to be using an arp at the same time did you? Most of my crashes are related to the arp, or at least I’m usually using an arp when it happens.

When the crash happens, you should be wary of power cycling quickly, leave the unit for 5 or 10 minutes before you turn it back on.

I’m surprised we seem the only ones to report this.
Did you report the bug at Elektron? They told me it was never reported before.

I might have been using the arp at the same time, can’t remember.

Elektron confirmed to wait 30 sec before repowering the unit after a freeze due to the device having high capacitors. 5 minutes seems a lot to discharge them.

I’ve had a number of occasions when I’ve power cycled too quickly after the crash, and end up with all the trigs lit but no display, and variations of the same.

Just to be clear, I’m not running down the DN, its an amazing device that sounds out of this world.

I just don’t have the patience to deal with so many crashes that randomly happen with no warning. Elektron support are aware of the issue, my use case must be not-so-common, otherwise they would be more concerned with fixing it.

“Anyone encountered a bug where the DN freezes with a continuous high pitch note?”

Many times unfortunately, usually connected (I think) to using arps but not always.

I love the Digitone but this problem makes me nervous to ever use it live. Maybe Elektron could at least make it crash quieter (though obv would rather it didn’t crash at all)?

1 Like

This arp bug can consistently and reproducibly crash the digitone into that high pitch noise and this has been confirmed by elektron. You’re definitely not the only ones reporting it :slight_smile: I haven’t experienced any other crashes when not using overbridge, but I haven’t played around with midi input. There is a good chance that the voice allocation thing you ran into is related to the arp bug since something goes haywire with the allocation even when it doesn’t end up crashing.

1 Like

Interesting, I usually end up with patterns similar to how you describe, basically trying to get the most out of the 4 tracks, as well as running independent track scale etc. I’ve never been able to consistently reproduce the crash though, that must have taken a lot of patience for you to figure out!

I’m pretty sure I’ve had crashes with simpler patterns too though, something made me eventually get fed up of using it a while back.

1 Like

Sorry but I don’t understand this sentence. Is there any relationship between Arp and Voice allocation?

1 Like

I’ve encountered arp-related crashing bug a few times. Thankfully not onstage, but I am nervous about that happening. I think I’ve found a way to avoid it, which is to not have more than one track using an arp. You could give that a try until they fix the bug.

1 Like

It took some investigation yes :joy: and yes, it can happen with simpler patterns as well, although usually this doesn’t crash the machine it just plays the programmed sequence wrong. I haven’t been able to pinpoint exactly what the cause is but it al revolves around the arp, voice allocation and sound locks (that have the arp enabled).
Some are easier to replicate than others, but for instance bug 3 is easy to replicate, and clearly not the intended behavior. I was kinda surprised that nobody (including myself) had noticed/reported it before.

@Blasted_pingin
Yes for instance if you soundlock sounds with the arp activated on T1, this will affect the arp on T2 while voice stealing is off. This shouldn’t happen. See bug 2

@Kraus @Looper I’m 98% sure your safe as long as you don’t combine it with massive sound locking. I don’t recall ever having a problem with every track running an arp while not sound locking the arp as well. Might want to confirm that before you rely on it live though :smirk: it’s been almost a year since I looked into this.

3 Likes

Thanks, yeah, I try and only use 2 max arps now and it mostly doesn’t happen - still a bit hairy though.

2 Likes

Ah, interesting, thanks for this info and all your effort looking into this.

I usually use the Digitone as a standalone groovebox and use sound locked arps nearly all the time to help make up for the lack of tracks. I’ve had this crash happen when just using two tracks, one with a sound locked arp and the other standard arp. Didn’t occur to me that the sound-locked one could be causing the issue. Have Elektron confirmed this bug?

Think I’m going to stop using sound-locked arps until a fix happens - maybe investigate using midi-loopback instead but have found that a bit glitchy when I’ve tried it before.

4 Likes

When I am controlling a midi channel via Logic through the DT that isn’t 1-4 it will definitely bug out! I am using it as an audio interface as well as a midi interface.

Also the LFO DEST menu can be pretty wonky under certain circumstances, it seems to do it the most when I’m trying to make changes during playback.

1 Like

From Elektron support:

I also suspect that the freeze could be related to the arpeggiator. As mentioned earlier, we have for a while been hunting a known bug that can cause a freeze, that we know is related to the arpeggiator. We have unfortunately not yet found the culprit, even though our developers have spent a lot of time investigating. We have not received many reports so it seems rare that users experience this bug, but we take it very seriously and I hope we can find a solution soon.

It goes to show not many people report the bugs.

5 Likes

But the problem is broader than the freezing, there is quite a few scenarios (which most user will find themselves in at least at some point) in which it simply doesn’t play back the proper sequence, it’s just that that is easier to not notice, or to falsely attribute to user-error, than a high pitched freezing buzz-kill.

Totally understandable btw I blamed it on user-error (myself) as well when I first noticed it. :meh:

Ugh I always assume plenty of people submit bug reports, so I haven’t bothered… I really should send one for this arp bug

1 Like

We all do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe a good practice would be to report at Elektron then complain here with the satisfaction of the duty being done. We should actually call the thread bug complaints instead of bug reports.

2 Likes

Good practice imo is to complain here, see if other people can reproduce/identify it as user error, then report to support.

4 Likes

Anyone got this error? OS1.32A

1 Like