Digitone, Digitakt, Keystep Config

How do i connect up digitakt , digitone and keystep so digitakt is master but so i can use keystep for digitone?

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=digitakt%20digitone%20keystep

2 Likes

Keystep Midi out > DT Midi in/Thru, DT Midi out > DN midi in.

then set them up to whatever channel you want each machine to speak to.

1 Like

Just got a keystep and am using this same set up! Keystep is super easy to switch the midi channel on the fly.

I’d go Digitakt midi out to keystep midi in. Keystep out to Digitone midi in.

This way keystep gets clock from digitakt and you’ll be able to use keystep sequences.

(Keystep set to ‘midi’ on the back switches)

I also messed around with keystep as master and did keystep out to DT in. DT thru to DN in. This was where the keystep midi channel switching came into play.

(Keystep set to ‘internal’ on the back)

If you don’t want to use the keystep on DT then I’d use that first set up I mentioned above.

7 Likes

Hi there,

With the first setup above, does the clock from the DT make it to the DN?

1 Like

I’m going to double double check

1 Like

Double double-checked, and here’s a quick vid’ about it.

The playing at the end left something to be desired, but the video shows transport reaching the DN from DT through the Keystep.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/316675806

edit: updated the link to the video mentioned here

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Digging this up… I’m using this method but the pattern change doesn’t work!
When I change the pattern from on the DT it doesn’t change that on the DN… But muting the DN from the DT works fine… Any idea?

1 Like

Hmmm… I’ll have to experiment to see what’s up with that.

I don’t think I’ve ever had either box change the pattern on another box. I usually just hit ‘pattern’ button on both and pick the next section manually.

…unless all the sequencer data is all on the digitakt and then the pattern is obviously different when you switch. This would mean no sequences would be in the digitone itself but exist only on the ‘takt midi tracks

yeah im using both the tone and the takt. I don’t control the tone via midi, i use its own sequencer.
When using the takt and tone directly together, the pattern changes follow from Takt to Tone.

Now it doesn’t, but i feel it should via the Keystep since mutes are transferred just fine…

I’ll be back to my studio soon and will take a look.

My thoughts right now are to check the keystep settings in the Arturia midi control software and see if there are any hiccups there

Make sure that:

• you have Program Change send enabled on the DT and Program Change receive enabled on the DN,
  • the Program Change send channel number on the DT matches the Program Change receive channel number on the DN,
  • you don’t have any strange pattern length settings on either that would cause the patterns not to change.
1 Like

Mmm point 2 could be the issue. I got DN set to auto channel 10. Should that match the DT’S? THANKS!

This is nothing to do with any Auto Channel settings.

Make sure that:

1 Like

I got them both on auto and never really touched them. Ive set them both on 10 now, which is also the autochannel just in case. Works now! Thanks a bunch.
I’ll be sure to use my newly thought midi knowledge to help others.

4 Likes

Hi!

What would be the best way to connect DN, DT and Keystep, when Overbridge is included for both the digitone and digitakt? I would like to play notes on the DN with my keystep, but also want to control soft synths in Ableton from time to time.

Anyone?

Keystep MIDI or USB to Pc then Midi Overbridge PC to DN/DT.
I would use this if I had a Pc to manage in the loop.

1 Like

So there is no need to physically connect Keystep midi out to DN if Ableton already sees Keystep as a midi controller, am I right?

What if I connect both the USB to the computer and MIDI out to DN in, and use the switches at the back of the Keystep upon need. Is it possible to keep both connections at the same time?