Digitone crashing after update

Anybody else having issues with the new update? I’m working on a set for a gig in two weeks and the Digitone is crashing loads, freezing up and making a high pitch scream of anguish (myself a little bit too). Is there any way to revert firmware to the previous? I can’t work with this at the moment and it makes me nervous as I rely on hardware for live shows.

Another bug was that the levels of each track were displaying as 0 and not changing as I increased them, then suddenly snapped to the true value. Bit buggy, how’s everyone else getting on with v1.30?

Also after the crash, it took 4 attempts to boot up and got stuck on the logo first few times. Hopefully this gets addressed as I’m not really pushing it’s limits as far as tweakings/automation, etc

I have not had issues, ver. 1.30a. Try unplugging the power for a minute (power cycle).

No Problem with my Digitone Keys.

After it crashed let it rest for a minute at least, and preferably unplug the power. You boot it up too fast it will crash regardless.

If you did wait, tand it keeps doing it all the time you probably have a faulty unit.

Also unplug USB and audio.

1.30a fixed this for me. I had these issues as well when shooting midi lfo’s to DN from the DT.

I used to get this all the time.
Switch projects, unplug any midi cables and leave it off for a couple of minutes. If you still get the issue after that then raise a ticket with Elektron.

What a great forum this is, thanks for the advice. I’ll give it a good testing today and see what I find. Would you think that hitting maximum polyphony once in a while will cause it to behave unpredictably? It happened so much yesterday that i downloaded C6 and started backing up all my projects, quite a lengthly task but puts me a bit more at ease in case of the worst case scenario

2 Likes

Ok Doke,

Maybe I was trying to reboot it too quick after the initial crash the other day, I’d been leaving it maybe 10 seconds before rebooting, and getting a frozen boot screen. The other thing I did (as I was testing if reaching max polyphony was the issue), was simplify the sequence that I was working on when the initial crash began. Yesterday I use it most of the day and it didn’t crash once. Yippee, hopefully was a “one off” or at least not as problematic as I thought. Though, I’m now unsure what would have been causing it (to avoid it in the future), in your experience, does it go a bit off the rails when you hit max polyphony often, or is the crash a bit more sporadic/unpredictable?

must have been a a lucky day on the previous post. I’ve been working on a different project no worries for the past week and when returning to the one I had this glitch with, I’m getting it again. Leaving it a good minute before reboot but keep getting random crashes. I’m not pushing it’s limits much with this one either as its an ambient piece. Out of experience, what has caused your units (or known issues) to crash/freeze during playback? I’d like to iron this out as I’m working on something that needs to be finished before next weekend :). Hopefully I’ll get a lucky day with it tomorrow but it hasn’t been happy with that project today, though fine for hours on a different project this morning…

Hey, out of curiosity, you saw that they released a 1.30A firmware like a week after the 1.30 firmware, right? The original post made it sort of unclear. Not even sure if that would help, but thought I’d ask.

Hi folks, I found this thread last night after an infuriating couple of hours with the little black box. Issues seem to centre around a flash memory failure of some sort, while using multiple arps. Upon bringing in a 3rd voice the DT would crash and the resulting reboot would seemingly wipe at least the last two attempts to save patterns. Voices would change also, incorporating clicks and noise, not unusable in some scenarios but somewhat frustrating after nailing The Greatest Thing I’ve Ever Made.

I just wanted to say that mas_akala is bang on the money - I was not using the incremental ‘A’ firmware, and can say with some confidence that for whatever reason, 1.30 is causing issues. After installing update last night DT seems solid again. I’ll give it a proper run-through today and confirm, in case anybody else is having similar. I also never before used the Transfer app, and perhaps that helped this time around.

As this is my first time posting I should also give warm regards to you all, I’m scouring these pages on the daily for info and advice, it’s a great forum and I appreciate all your mad brains and insights.

4 Likes

I am using 1.30a and my DN freezed with a long beep three times tonight. It’s connected to a DT, OT and a midi controller. Is there a possibility to generate error logs?

Hey how did you get on with this issue? I appreciate this is a very late reply but my Digitone is crashing again and I’m wondering if you got anywhere. I also have an OT in the mix. I keep getting a DN0045 error which Elektron support have explained as a polyphony max-out issue, extremely rare etc. An update is required to relieve the issues but that was a few months ago and if its just me, I can’t imagine they’ll be prioritising it. With regards the error logs, you can’t easily observe a .txt like on the OT however if you can isolate a particular pattern and use C6 https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Elektron_C6_MAC_AND_WIN_1.51.zip (which didn’t work for me) or snoize: SysEx Librarian (which did) to transfer a pattern which is regularly crashing, you can email that to Elektron and they will probably appreciate it at least.

I’ve just experienced a similar issue with my DN 1.30a. Playing with LFO from my DT, the DN suddenly crashed with some exception on the screen. Trying to boot up, I got several red blinking buttons. Power cycling the DN solved the issue… Unfortunately did not take a picture of the exception…