Digitone Bass Out Of Tune

I can only use my Digitone with headphones at the moment and that’s my problem. I like deep bass sounds and on my headphones the bass fits totally coherent with the rest. But then when I listen to everything on speakers, the bass is totally out of tune and doesn’t match to the rest. I think the problems are the ratio parameters. But somehow I can’t get a deep tonally fitting bass. Does anyone here have a tip for me?

A few random thoughts

Use the presets as they’re probably set up properly .
Buy headphones with better bass response
Is it ‘tuning’ or mixing , maybe try different mixing / fx on the overall mix ?
Try another fm synth to compare ?
Sample a note and do baseline with that ?

I would normally just compensate for this on syn1 page 2.

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood your original question. I see now that you are potentially having a monitoring issue. I would definitely recommend checking with even more speakers. Bring it to the car. Try different headphones out etc.

A different headphone is a good idea. I will try that.

How about checking tune with a momentary hold T arrow up transpose 12 up to get it out of the bass range. If it’s in tune one octave up with the rest of the tracks it should be too one octave down and you can rely on your current headphone this way.

1 Like

And use the base width filter. High pass the non bass tracks from 0 to. At least 50 better 60 or 65.

1 Like

Transpose the whole track is a great idea. I will check that with my problematic bass sounds.

…ooo…be warned…if we’re talking real low end subs, ur room might play tricks on u…

if ur absolutely sure, ur lowest octave worx harmonically, but on ur speakers they seem to be out of tune all of a sudden…seems like a classic to me…i had similar moments like this…

and it was not synth…no my tuning…no filters…it was room nodes…
weird adding up frequencies within the room and ur speakers…

try to move ur speakers more into the room…half a meter more distance to the backwall and everything can change totally…

or tune ur baseline one octave up to realize…yup…all harmonics actually do match again…
or get the kik out of the way for a try…

always keep in mind…lowest E takes 9 meters in distance to go full circle once…

and if ur really into fad low ends…F, G and A are best choice for an effective basic tune…

lowest octave remains the trickiest part of all… :wink:

5 Likes

Pew … you put my problem to whole new level. Thank you for your very interesting and informative reply. Seems I have to get some stands for my speakers.

1 Like

+1 to that - if you’re talking deep subs 40-80hz, pitch perception is a little shaky that low. Your room can def help mislead you.
If in doubt crank up the distortion to get a better sense of pitch & make sure it’s where you expect.

2 Likes