Digitone as Rhodes

Sometimes I need a much more dirty piano sound.

I know Digitone can’t sound like a rhodes, but I see the potential for a good sounding keyboard.

So which effect pedal would be right? I guess Distortion/Tube or whatever?
Anyone tried that?

Tube distortion, spring reverb, chorus, autowah. Don’t personally own a digitone but they’re all common on Rhodes and I’m sure it’ll sound great

Anything under 200€?

I don’t use the DN to imitate other instruments, so I can’t tell how good it would be as a rhodes.

This said, the DN has some features to make a clean sound dirty. As example: if you start with a bell-like sound and add some FM-intensity modulation for A/C and/or B1/B2 and spice with some detuning and feedback the basic sound can not only go dirty or rough, it also can be controlled that the roughness changes in time … like to have more “noise” at the beginning. IMO the distortion of the DN sounds very good. Adding some filter sweep with resonance, chorusing, and reverb at the end of the chain should do it. Combining this with velocity (up to four parameters) and aftertouch (up to four parameters) should make for a sound, which can be played very expressively. And there are plenty options to modulate all of this with the LFOs :wink:

So get a midi keyboard with at least velocity and aftertouch …

1 Like

Thanks man. I agree with the Sound Quality and how expressively the DN can beplayed.

But in a band context with a distorted Bass its hard for the Overdrive to come thru.

I will try the MXR Distortion routed back to the Inputs, so Chorus, Reverb and Delay after the MXR.

Maybe get an used Yamaha Reface CP? They go for 315 € new, you might find something for 230-250 €

4 Likes

IMO this seems more to be a problem of mixing the sound of the band, rather an overdrive “coming not through”.

I would suggest to check on all instruments and get enough separation of the frequency spectrum for each of them. If the bass is poaching in frequencies, which need to be available for other sounds too, then the bass has to be tamed at first place. Maybe it’s only me, but for me the bass is low end - full stop. Just making a second instrument louder against the bass, will only create muddy sound.

I would consider that distortion and overdrive add quite a lot additional frequencies to the upper department. The more various instruments contribute to a particular frequency range at the same time, the worse the overall sound becomes.

Rule of thumb … create sonic space for each voice to breathe first, before making something louder … :wink:

1 Like

Sure it can’t? Too lazy to look it up, but I’m pretty sure more than one of the soundpacks Elektron are selling do have rhodes-like presets, which might not be as close as an outright multisample pack, but would go unquestioned as part of a track.

Thanks for the mixing suggestions. Sure. Yes and no, cause there is something missing in a keyboard sound for me.

You can get very good keysounds at the DN and they can really be played expressive.
I liked the piano from the old Electribe EMX and I am sure the Tubes were part of it.
I hope I could get something as a pedal, cause I sold it.

Never heard any multisample pack just from a DAW that really convinced me. I can produce with it doesn’t matter, but for me there is always something missing in a piano sound. Some warmth.

The digital Overdrive is the point I guess.

I had the Yamaha Reface CP in mind. :wink:

1 Like

If you really want an excellent e-piano simulation check out the Nord Stage or Nord Electro.

Doesn’t fit into my bag.

I have a reface cp, and I think it’s the best e-piano emulator budget price, for me, it’s sounds better than plugins at same price.

2 Likes

That’s a pitty … but if you get some analogue filter and/or pre-amp, or some stomp boxes after the DN, or even the Analogue Heat, there will be much more warmth to the sound, if there is no aliasing to be complained about.

Analogue Filter? Pre-Amp? Any Suggestions?

I would check out the many guitar stomp boxes … but there is affordable and there is boutique … depends on your budget … and your musical/sound intentions … even running the digital sound through a typical analogue mixer will generate warmth, if the channel is not too neutral.

If you want to be more crisp, check out semiconductor / transistor based units. If it should be more soft and subtle, I would use something with a tube.

You could also use a traditional amplifier (keyboard/guitar) with a tube or transistor pre-amp and an analogue master section.

This. Sounds awesome

As I am still in love with the the old electribe tubes.

EBS Valve Drive DI perhaps.

I read about semiconductor / transistor, not sure technically, subtle and soft warmth are the right words for what I am searching. Tubes ok.

Analogue Mixer is fine, too. But not always in my bag. :wink:

Oh … I ment only something like this … :wink:

Easy, I will plug that in if the bass player don’t looks. :wink:

There are some valve tubes pedals. I guess I have to get some and perhaps take it or send back. German, right?