Digitone as midi hub?

Could anyone tell me if the DN could be used in the same manner as the DT is being used here - and if possible how to set it up? I stumbled upon this video earlier this morning and by chance it is exactly the routing setup I am looking for (like these guys my studio rn is Keystep as keyb/controller, A4, AR, and Peak). They speak briefly about the midi setup in the beginning of the video but I’m hoping someone here who is more savvy could walk me through this so I can successful choose a MIDI bank on the DN and have the Keystep be able to play the AR, A4, and Peak with the press of the button. Is this possible with the DN or will I need to save for a DT lol

Any help would be super appreciated!

Edit: including the video would be useful!

this is possible with the keystep alone, as you can switch midi channels on keystep and use different (auto)channels on ar, a4 and peak… (just play notes / use keystep sequencer and arp)

please be more specific what you want to do… if you want to send cc messages also to the machines, you could do that with digitone - it is similar to digitakt midi wise. you have four different midi tracks with 8 note polyphony each…

1 Like

Sure- thanks for your reply. I’m a novice with MIDI (typically do all my compositions just with the itb Elektron sequencers). I simply want to be able to easy switch which machine the Keystep is sending midi info to (just to be able to play notes primarily - though perhaps CC messages would be useful to me, though I’m not entirely sure what my options are with those from the Keystep?)

Thanks!

have you connected your elektron boxes via midi at the moment?

this is easily doable with your setup, if you do clever midi routing

also do a forum search on keystep midi setup with elektron… should find plenty of useful topics…

also look up autochannel on elektron devices - basically you can control which ever track is selected on the machine via a specific channel, for example:

keystep channel 1 controls AR
keystep channel 2 controls A4
and keystep channel 3 controls Peak

1 Like

could anyone walk me through the signal path of sending midi out of the keystep into an AR, A4, DN, and peak?

would it be keystep midi out -> midi splitter (any recommendations for this would be useful too!) -> midi in on each device then choose the midi input channel on each device that corresponds to the midi channel selected on the keystep?

ok, so if you also have a dn, you could try without midi splitter:

keystep midi out to dn midi in
set keystep to channel 1
dn auto channel to 1

dn midi out to rytm midi in
on dn set a midi track to channel 2 (for rytm)
another midi track to 3 (for a4)
and another one to 4 (for peak)

set rytm auto channel to 2

rytm midi THRU to a4 midi in
set a4 auto channel to 3

a4 midi THRU to peak midi in
set peak to receive on channel 4

a midi thru mirrors everything that hits midi in (like a copy)

so dn can be master clock and you can play dn, a4, rytm or peak if you select one of the matching channels on dn

2 Likes

thanks this looks very useful! :slight_smile:

you are welcome. just take your time to try it and feel free to get back with questions…

by the way, you can of course also sequence the peak with this setup…