Digitone as a sequencer for eurorack

i´m eyeballing with the digitone, i liked how it sounds but even better, i would love to use it as a sequencer for the eurorack… (as a plus of course, and to talk me into it…)

anyone doing this? once setup, is it solid?
and which midi to cv module is perfect for this?
(would the OCD work?)

thanks a lot!

In eurorack I find I end up designing a lot of single voices rather than poly patches, so the digitakt sequencer is SLIGHTLY better suited for my needs because it can do ratchets (repeats) and has more channels. That said, I also have a digitone and have used it to sequence the modular as well and give it a big thumbs up as synthesizer in general. :slight_smile:

Edit: I use Yarns and Pittsburgh Midi 2 for 6 channels of midi pitch/gate CV. I don’t have an OCD but that definitely works along with a digibox quite well.

1 Like

But the Digitone can give 4 notes out via one midi channel? Or how is that handled?

Yes, the digitakt can handle 4 notes per midi track with 8 tracks available and digitone can handle 8 notes per track with 4 tracks available.

Most of the time I will assign one channel as a midi clock, so I can sync it to my eurorack modules to the digitakt. Then a couple more channels for percussion (this is where the repeats come in handy). Finally there will be 2-3 channels for bass and melodies.

I basically don’t do polyphonic patches on the modular because I find them a PITA to set up, but obviously if that were your goal you should opt for the digitone.

1 Like

I use a Digitone for sequencing my eurorack. It works solidly. Initially I was using a CV.OCD and now I use a Yarns module, simply because I prefer to have it all in one case. Both worked equally well.

The OCD will give you extra gates/triggers taken from MIDI clock. Personally, I use a Pamela’s New Workout module clocked via din/sync from the Digitone.

As RobertSyrett said, polyphonic patches is not modular’s strong point. I think both OCD and Yarns can be configured to separate out multiple notes on one midi channel. However, I always have mine set to be 4 cv/gate monophonic outputs on separate midi channels, triggered by the 4 midi tracks on the Digitone.

I also fractionally prefer the MIDI sequencing with the Digitakt for the same reasons as RobertSyrett. The extra tracks open up more possibilities for sequencing, even if still I’m only using 4 midi channels.

2 Likes

This is a good point. I forgot to mention how much fun it is to use multiple tracks for the same midi channel. You can put partial melodies on each one and mute/unmute to create variety. There really a surprising amount of things you can do with the elektron sequencer.

2 Likes

One thing I forgot to say in support of the Digitone, is that you can route the output of the modular into the Digitone’s effects. I use a Doepfer A-138s so I can mix and pan my 4 modular “voices”. The output from that goes to the Digitone’s inputs.

I wish I had that option with the Digitakt.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a pita, but I hope that it will be a bit more easy with the new doepfer precission Quad osc… so far I had used my 2 omega phi’s and schippmann filter for this…it’s possibly, but not too much fun:-)

1 Like

Oh guys, this all sounds very tempting.
Let’s see how long i will be able to withstand the need to buy the Digitone…

My guess is you will order by Friday :rofl:

1 Like

i had the rule so far that i only can buy something new if i sell something other…
since I’m single again its on me alone if i follow this rule :grimacing:

very off topic, but I’m short before selling one omega phi, to have place for the doepfer quad… but maybe i can withstand this by making some music:-)

I use my Digitone to sequence my modular. I’m using the mutant brain midi/cv module, it has 4 cv/gates + 8 configurable outs that can be triggers, gates, clock div / mult etc.
Here’s an example.https://youtu.be/gHjhZea27cc

I’m using the Digitakt to sequence my Eurorack via Expert Sleepers FH-2, usually configured as four monophonic pitch/gate pairs. I’ve also used the CV.OCD, which is great but the FH-2 is more versatile and expandable. I can even use it to tune my oscillators. Since the DT has eight MIDI tracks, you can use multiple tracks per MIDI channel, each with different track lengths. The possibilities are endless.

1 Like

I have the same set up as @jamesstiff, except with the Digitone. I initially used Yarns, but the versatility and the ability to expand the FH-2 made me switch. I have a couple of different configurations I use with the Digitone, the primary one being 2 voice (Gate, CV, Velocity) on [123] & [456] with clock coming out of 7, and sequencer start stop on 8 (I run a few sequencer in the modular so I want to make sure I have them in sync with the outboard gear).

The other is a straight 4 voice (Gate, CV x 4). I use this less since its harder to control specific timing on the modular this way.

2 Likes

I should have mentioned, I also have Pamela’s New Workout clocked by Digitakt via ALM’s DIN Sync adaptor. PNW then keeps everything synced nicely.

I’ve yet to try out the arpeggiators and microtonal scales on the FH-2. So much to explore!

1 Like

Does the Digitakt have repeats/retrigs on midi tracks?

1 Like

In that comment I believe I was referring to the drum tracks. The Digitakt does not have the retrigs on the midi tracks. However, as has been pointed out elsewhere, you can adjust the resolution of the tracks and send more than one track to the same channel. It’s only a little bit convoluted to implement.