Digitone and iPad?

Do you have DN set to Overbridge? Switch to USB-MIDI.

I was about to try it out but can’t find my Lightning to USB adapter.

Update - It’s now working for me.

I have the DN connected to my Lightning to USB adapter and in to the iPad. Selected a Midi track on the DN and set channel to 1. Make sure DN is set to USB-MIDI and NOT Overbridge in settings.

In AUM click on Midi-Routing - you should see the DN port there and an orange Midi indicator line flash when DN keys are pressed.

In AUM main screen add an Audio track (not MIDI) and set an instrument (I am using Arturia iSEM. Go back to the AUM MIDI-routing page and link DN MIDI out to iSEM in.

@Zenji - does this work for you now?

2 Likes

Another thing I forgot - on the DN when you select a Midi track go to the SYN1 page and hold Function whilst pressing the A knob. Then choose a channel number and click the knob to confirm.

3 Likes

Ugh, that was it. Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

Hi, I realize this is an old topic but using the fugue (or others) to sequence the digitone is exactly what I want to do but haven’t figured out yet. Sequencing with the fugue would be awesome, and I’d really like to sequence with ripplemaker, as you can add some controlled randomness to rhythmic patterns. Thanks

Use Apple brand USB 3 CCK (3rd party ones mostly suck); connect to digitone. Use a host like AUM to send midi from AUv3 instance of Fugue by connecting in the AUM midi matrix; set DN to receive on appropriate channels. That should do it.

I was able to connect Fugue directly with the Digitone. Agreed on the Apple adapter. In Fugue select the Digitone for the four midi playheads in the midi out settings. Channels 1 thru 4 control the digi channels

Thanks for your answers. I have a third party adapter and I have been able to sequence my iPad with my digitakt, but not vice versa, controlling the digis with the iPad. I have also sequenced other apps in the iPad such as model D and Ripplemaker using AUM. I just can’t seem to figure out controlling with the iPad. Guess I’ll keep trying! Was hoping it was some small setting on the DN that I was missing.

I don’t normally work this way, but just ran through it to make a checklist and confirm it’s working on my end. Things to check:

Can you see the Digitone in say, AUM MIDI Routing, and it’s connected?

On the Digitone:

You are set to USB MIDI in System/USB Config?

Input in MIDI Port Config is set to MIDI+USB (or just USB?)

MIDI Channels are set to the correct channels for tracks 1-4? (well, that’s how mine are set up; and I also set the 4 playheads in Fugue in AUM to 1-4 as well…)

If that doesn’t do it, I fear it may somehow be the adapter? Let me know; unusual indeed.

Thanks so much for your detailed reply, I’ll go through the checklist when I have a minute later, much appreciated :slight_smile:

So I was actually able to set up the digitone and fugue machine no problem (without AUM, although I confirmed that AUM can detect the DN). So the issue seems to be with the Ripplemaker app. I have gone through all the settings but no joy - I have contacted the creator of the app to see if he can help. It would be very cool in adding probability to notes/trigs very quickly to the DN, like a macro knob as with the new model:cycles/samples chance function, but also moving through random patterns while staying in key which the DN unfortunately lacks. Thanks again for your help.

I would recommend Bram’s Rozeta MIDI auv3 sweet for use in AUM; the baseline sequencer in it is the one from his troublemaker 303 style plugin; very similar to Ripplemaker’s sequencer, up to 64 steps, with mutation options, and also slide functionality. As a midi AU in AUM that should work the same as Fugue does. Could even use more than one.

Using Ripplemaker stand alone, I am seeing a RM port exposed in AUM’s midi routing page if you click the 5pin midi button in the bottom left of the sequencer area and select ‘note data’ under ‘midi out’; not sure if that app will would know exactly where to send midi, but if it doesn’t, you should be able to connect the ripplemaker virtual midi port to the digitone in AUMs MIDI routing page.

1 Like

Right. Bram very kindly replied also with the same info - that Ripplemaker and others need to be routed through something like AUM to use the midi. I wasn’t using AUM as with my limited experience with it it seemed to take away the ability to use Ripplemakers sequencer, which was exactly the aspect I was Ted to use. I’ll doing some more tinkering and see what happens.

The AU doesn’t have the sequencer, but if you load either the RM stand-alone app, or host the IAA app in AUM (pretty much the same thing), the port shows up in AUM, and AUM is used solely to route MIDI to the DN. Any app that can direct midi and see virtual ports would work, too. I just tested that and sequenced the digitone keys with it.

Success! Thanks again, very happy and playing a lovely sequence right now. It doesn’t seem possible to record sequences into the DN from externally, however (except a midi controller)?

It should record, it doesn’t know the difference between a sequencer and a midi controller. Getting them to sync up would be the more difficult part…

I think you can play any DN track via its MIDI channel but to record into the DN sequencer the app needs to be sending the data on the same MIDI channel as the DN Auto Channel .

1 Like

Right!