Digitone 1.02: bug reports

i recently purchased a Digitone but haven’t used it much - mainly because I had to return it to the shop twice with a damaged screen. Over it to be honest. Also had to return my Octatrak three times - same issue - screen. Anyway finally got round to playing with the Digitone. Great sound. Played it for about 2 hours, straight to my mixer and using Keystep as a Controller. This thing crashed about 5 times and all with different symptoms. One issue was the screen went blank and all the buttons and encoders to the right hand side were flashing. Then I had the DSP boot failure on the screen. Tried to reboot it, no luck. Ended up just unplugging it from the wall - came back on. Then I noticed it was just shutting down and rebooting by itself. Unplugged it and haven’t played it since. Totally over it. There is no way whatsoever that you could do a gig with this thing. Will submit a ticket now although I think they’re all away at Super Booth still.

1 Like

I’ve had to do this with other machines… just hit stop and play again on beat… make it like a stutter effect… do like 4 of those and nobody knows you’re re-syncing Machines

I’ve played mine at five open mics now (I’m the host) and had no issues until today during an off-stage jam. It’s gig-able. Would just have to do some beat juggling in the event of a power cycle

Yeah. Just play it off legit

2 Likes

Yeah, thanks for the reply. Very happy that you got a good one. I’ve been with Elektron right from the start and have had 7 machines and actually never had anything crash like this. My one is not gigable - but happy that your one is good.

1 Like

Hello guys,
Looks like on mine the Micro Timing doesnt work. Is it " normal " problem ? Or I have to check an option to make it work that I missed ? :slight_smile:
Thank you all
Carmelo

Hello guys,
Sorry found the solution by myself.
You can delete this thread

1 Like

“DSP Boot Failure” here… After a restart it went away…

Hi guys,
Digitone 1.02 here. Three weeks old machine.
I am having the same problem as others here, screen freezes with a nasty sound. 3 times in a hour aprox.
I created a support ticket. Quick answer but somehow not satisfactory.
They told me freezes are not normal in Digitone. I asked if this might be a bug that can be fixed in next update or if I should just return the machine. They told me crahes are ocurring when using arpeggiator and advise me “to turn the arpeggiators off and see if it gets better?”
I don’t remember if it is always using arpeggiator or not -I would say it isn’t- but anyway I want to use the arpeggiator so that is not a solution.

The fact is I really love this machine and I want to keep it.
Can anyone tell me if this problem will be fixed?
Should I return the machine?

What do you think about it guys?
Many thanks in advance.

Are you runing midi in or out of your digitone as well when is crashes?

Just the Digitone alone. No midi in or out.

I had a couple crashes and freezes when I first got my digitone, but I haven’t had any for a few weeks now but I am always running midi out and in so I don’t know if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your comment.
I think I am going to test it a little bit more and see if I keep it or return it.

Just had another freeze on the current firmware - Digitone just froze up and continued playing an ear-harassing beep. After the freeze it froze up again during boot up on the screen where it displays the version. After the 3rd reboot its working again. I’ve got the feeling its been crashing more since I’ve got my Arturia Keystep sending Midi to it.

Hey there old friend. Yeah, that happened to me once or twice as well - really awful sound indeed. It was definitely a MiDi-related issue (in my case a MiDi-loop).

On 1.02. When I set a pattern to any kind of Unison, I get some intense clicking when it restarts. I made sure I wasn’t maxing out the voices and it was still the same. Just me?

What are you amp settings? Attack, decay, release and reset? Is your operator reset set to off? Or do you mean only when the pattern comes back around to the start?

Checked it with long attack and release settings, tried it with all of the reset settings on and off, and yeah I mean when it comes back around to the start, it sounds like its outside of the actual audio. Thanks for askin’!

I have a very recurrent and permanent problem. After a couple of seconds of being in “idle” (meaning: producing no sound), the Digitone - when the pattern starts - does not produce the first ~100 milliseconds of sound. Which means, for example, that the pattern starts normally, but the first note is inaudible or its beginning is muted or muffled. It looks like some audio chip or codec or something goes to sleep mode when producing no sound, and then is waking up too late. I noticed that after a couple of seconds after any sound stops, there is a very silent click in the audio path, after which - probably - this behaviour occurs. Is it just my device or is it a problem in the whole series / firmware version? Did anyone notice something similar?

I can live with that, because I don’t play gigs, and I am mainly sequencing and chaining patterns, so - when recording - my workaround is to play some sound right before the actual starting of the pattern. But still, it does not look like a proper functioning.

After switching the pattern or double-stopping the sound, the master page settings (input L/R levels, input reverb etc.) are actually applied only after the Digitone plays the sound by itself.

Fox example: create a pattern with external input levels set to zero, and another pattern where they are set to some audible value. When switching between the patterns, the actual levels are not changing until the Digitone makes a sound by itself (until a note is trigged on any track 1-4). Although the displayed levels are, of course, correctly matched to the pattern settings.