Digital poly synth with good sound design physical UI

I want to move away from the novation circuit. Love the sound, hate the editing. I’m looking for a poly digital synth that would have as much control over the sound design as a analog synth, like the mopho for example. I want to have something that doesn’t require a computer to edit, as little as possible of menu diving (something like the Digitakt is fine, deeper diving kills the creativity for me) and a desktop unit without a keyboard would make more sense for me. I still want to be able to save preset too. I have the Typhon which I love and the mopho - (and the DT) but just need another layer of polysynth where I have direct access to sound sculpting / live modification.
I’m not too sure where to start with that, any pointer would be welcomed

Any of the Nord Racks would be my choice.

3 Likes

You pretty much described a digitone.

3 Likes

Depends what you want to spend really. There are loads of older VA synths you could grab at pretty decent prices. I’ve got a Novation KS Rack, which is decent. You could get a Nord, as mentioned above, or a Virus.

1 Like

Sounds like the Peak would be suitable. Or is there something that you want that a fully digital synth can do that the Peak can’t (eg multitimbrality)?

2 Likes

+1 for the Peak in terms of layout, immediacy and sound quality. Second hand you might look at something like a Nord Rack.

Depending on budget you might find a used Roland System 8. Another great sounding poly with a traditional layout plus it’s effectively 4 polysynths in one instrument when you tally up the plug out engines.

2 Likes

the mopho is a monosynth btw

Access Virus rack series
Korg MS2000 rack series, Radius rack
Nord Lead rack series
Novation Peak, Supernova rack
Roland JP-8080, SH-32

5 Likes

Evolver Poly Rack

Micromonsta 2. Bi timbral, great sound, easy ui, 300 euros

2 Likes

If you see one of those babies up for sale (at the right price) I’m all ears! I’d love an 8 voice PolyEvolver! :sunglasses:

They’re like hens teeth sadly.

Hydrasynth Desktop

3 Likes

Cobalt 8?

Yeah I see the Virus B to be quite a synth! I’ll research more, but that seems like a winner!

Yes I have that synth, I mostly like the workflow of the sound design of the mopho and would love to have a poly synth with a similar/almost 1 setting per knob type of sound design.

Microfreak: 4 note polyphony, insane modulation matrix, ridiculous oscillator options, and that touchplate keyboard you might love/hate.

1 Like

The Digitone is great. If you are looking for a virtual analog, then the Cobalt 8 looks nice as well. Do you have a budget? That might help narrow it down a bit.

1 Like

The first synth that came to my mind when I read your description was a Roland JP-8080.

1 Like

The Hydrasynth, in my opinion, is an incredible synth for sound designing. Its UI is genius and it’s super easy to learn. It’s also a bargain, price wise.

1 Like

yep Digitone would make sense! Personally I don´t gel with (the GUI of) the Hydra Synth Desktop after the honeymoon phase … but maybe I´m the only person with this opinion on earth :slight_smile:

Virus TI Snow is under a 1000 but with some menu diving.

1 Like