Digitakt? YES!

Hi to all,

First post here so I will start by saying hello :slight_smile:

I am not living from my music but I am serious about it.
I am a drummer who decided 25 years ago to take the road of “electronic” music. I started with turntables and D&B then slowly got interest in techno (minimalist).
5 years ago I decided to invest in equipment so as to be able to get where I am today: on the verge of owning a home studio (decent enough to produce, mix etc…).

I am now in the market for new hardware. Here is what I have for the moment:
MacBook Pro 8Go
MOTU UltraLite Mk3
PlayDifferently MODEL1
Yamaha MSP-5
Sub Temblor T10
Traktor + 2 x X1Mk2
Maschine +Jam
Arturia KeyStep
Korg Volca Kick
Korg Volca Bass
Korg Volca Keys
Mackie VLZ 1402 (all the hardware synths go through it)
Various effect pedals as effects SENDS for MODEL1
Also looking at other synths (Blofeld for FM, Behringer DeepMind 12)

I am (very) seriously looking at the Digitakt for the following reasons:
Ability to bypass my laptop for mixing live
Sound designing
Fun :slight_smile:

Maschine has served me well untill now but I would like more"hands on" when it comes to mixing live. Overall had enough of computers when it comes to live/jamming.

Digitakt then?

I have read the manual (always do this before buying new gear… Helps a lot), watched YT’s reviews, tests and demos… In the process of enquiring, I came across the Model Samples which seems furthermore “hands on” but to the sacrifice of 10 tracks, filter enveloppe etc…

Any advice would be more than welcome.

V

In terms of “mixing” live, it’s more of an audio pass through with it’s inputs when not using a computer so it’s not the best fit as a hub to run audio through. A digitakt and a little mixer (lots of solid options out there for relatively cheap) with the volcas being controlled by the digitakt via midi (either by midi clock or sequenced) would be a fun live rig in terms of what you already have.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated :slight_smile:
Was actually thinking this way: have a DT (or M:S) hooked up to MODEL1, leaving 5 inputs for my synths :slight_smile:

M:S is very stripped back compared to digitakt. No inputs, no sampling, no sample per step. I don’t think it would live up to your expectations if you have been eyeing up a digitakt.

Hi there,
Thanks for your input.
Sampling is not so much of an issue for me, apart in a live situation for immediate resampling/playback.
Thanks a lot again,
V

I produce both DNB and Techno. The Digitakt has become the center of my workflow due to its ease of use with drum programming and manipulation.

just for clarity: the digitakt can play a different sample on each step of it’s 8 audio tracks.
the M:S is limited to a single sample for each of it’s 6 tracks. this is what I mean by sample per step.

as @metalfalcon mentioned the DT won’t do you any good for live mixing, if by that you mean live mixing other equipment/multiple channels of external audio. The DT has no capability to mix audio external instruments except for a VERY basic “monitor incoming audio” option. Of course it can mix its own internal tracks quite nicely, and you could of course sample external audio into the DT and then mix/sequence that, but keep in mind it is limited to about 30 seconds of incoming sampling time and it will be converted to mono.

The DT is an amazing instrument, but a live mixer it is not :slight_smile:

If you are wanting to do live mixing with effects and such without a computer/mixer, in the same style oas the Digitakt, you might want to look into the Octatrack. I haven’t personally used it, but have had my eye on getting one for exactly this purpose. It’s going to be more complex and probably not as “immediate” as the DT, but from what I understand has a lot more capability to mix and do other things with incoming audio.

2 Likes

By mixing I meant DJ mixing. Have a MODEL1 and Mackie 1402 for mixing input signals :slight_smile:
Would use the DT as a groovebox in a live situation and sound design in the studio.
The soundcard (MOTU) can also be usted as a standalone mixer :slight_smile:

Ahh ok! Not familiar with DJ mixing. Just as long as you aren’t expecting to pass live audio into the DT and mix it on the fly. Otherwise you should be good! It’s great as a drum machine/groovebox and as a MIDI sequencer for other equipment

Sound design on the DT (and I suppose any Elektron device) can be a pretty fun and rewarding experience in that you aren’t just designing the sound, but the sequence as well with parameter locks and other tricks

Yep :slight_smile:
Sound design really is something that I am looking forward to testing with the DT. I just watched this video:
https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dl-Q0WdA_sMc&ved=2ahUKEwin7uTP56ThAhVNTBoKHbWmDBYQwqsBMAJ6BAgGEBA&usg=AOvVaw0pM6eWicyEqwwFrELHtETS
I like the fact you can quickly alter any sample and the icing on the cake: sequencing It :slight_smile:

1 Like

OT is much better to act as a mixer.

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks for your comment.
Not looking for a mixer.

Just ordered It :slight_smile:
611€ from BaxMusic as opposed to 698€ from Thomann…
Done! Can’t wait now…

5 Likes

DT is fucking fun. You’re going to love it.

3 Likes

Digitakt will bring a new experience to your music and fit in perfectly to your setup. 8 sample tracks plus 8 midi tracks, conditional trigs… It will change your music for the better.

2 Likes

Yeah :slight_smile:
Can’t wait to hook It up to MODEL1 :slight_smile:
The sequencer seems out of this world in terms of options. My other hardware synths are going to love It :slight_smile:

Anything I should do/check prior to using it first time? OS update?

Hi all :slight_smile:

While expecting delivery of my DT, I was browsing this forum (and others) to get a sense of the DT’s stability (1.10).
Without getting into drama, what is the “general” consensus regarding stability?
OB is not an issue for me at the moment :wink:
Thanks for your inputs :slight_smile:

Hi, I’ve been using the DT for 3 months now and I have experienced 2 crashes while saving a new project. Not sure if I did something wrong or not. Otherwise it’s very stable while I’m just playing around, I didn’t encounter any glitch or issue that would disrupt a live performance for instance.

So yeah, I can’t say it’s 100% stable, but I wouldn’t be too worried about this. :slight_smile: You made a good decision, the Digitakt is awesome for sound design! The Envelope Filter and LFOs can do some crazy stuff if you dig deep enough, and the overall workflow is super quick. Awesome machineee<3

1 Like

@AldoVino thanks a lot for your feedback :slight_smile:
Much appreciated.
Was indeed looking for a feel impression :slight_smile:
Can’t wait to hook it up to my MODEL1 :slight_smile: