Digitakt - what's the magic?

I sold mine twice. The last time I sold it I bought another one the next day.

6 Likes

Entirely different matter, innit?

1 Like

it’s super fast to use and honestly even though it sums samples to mono it sounds really good for whatever reason. also ctrl all is an instant material generator. I’ve gotten so many variations on patterns simply by cycling through different samples on the same pattern and getting weird results.

1 Like

So many keep people here keep saying stuff like this about Elektron boxes. Why sell & rebuy & sell & rebuy over and over again? :smiley:

1 Like

This! It’s a fantastic characteristic of all the recent Elektrons (aside from OT). Compared to lots of other gear and even DAWs, it’s very hard to clip the outputs. And even when you do, it just sounds great on Elektron machines for some reason. Really glues things together in a pleasing way.

5 Likes

Had a Digitakt previously. If it had removable storage I’d still have it. If they ever release a new version - assuming it isn’t just a different colour - the only thing I’d want added is a card slot to save samples, etc.

G

1 Like

My experience was that it was not too difficult to clip the output of the A4, and it definitely did not sound nice

In a word, GAS. I wanted to try something else and didn’t want to pay for it on top of what I already had. I convinced myself that I didn’t need the Digitakt as I could achieve similar results in Ableton Live. I was wrong. :frowning:

2 Likes

Share a car for the trip.

1 Like

damn. well said sir.

Taking us further off topic, because I have an OT not a DT…

This is a great point. Thanks for bringing it up this way. I’m going to pay more attention to this in future. Perhaps I don’t need so much stereo!

1 Like

To me it is more or less the workflow and the sound I get, there isn’t anything really gimmicky about it. It does what it does and it does it really well. Most of the time I like to work with one elektron + a couple knob perfunction synths these days and if I am only going to use 1 elektron it is gonna be a sampler 90% of the time and for me that is the Digitakt. My other elektrons have more or less become sample fodder which I’ve become more okay with.

1 Like

If I’m 100% honest, my Digitakt hasn’t really seen much action since I got the Analog Rytm Mk2… it’s become a standalone vibe/groove-box for me… I know it has the midi tracks over the AR, but I have a Digitone too now that covers external synths/MIDI better than the DT.
I think I’ll still keep mine though. :wave::sunglasses:

I really connected with the DT when it was first shown, bought one soon as it was available and would only let it go for an upgraded model, if it came.
I love the interface, never have to think about what I am pressing, copy/paste and reload func are great for live play, its all just so gratifying and immediate.
Definitely magic to me, for such a simple device it has seemingly endless potential, even after 4 years.

That’s definitely the Analog Rytm IMO.

Not to me.

No pingpong looping? That’s odd, even the old Roland W-30 has it.

Regarding the one-octave keyboard feature being “brilliant”, that description feels overly generous to me. Other similar boxes support two-octave scale modes with the same amount of keys.

I think “magic” is a BS marketing term, but there is some great engineering which make Digitakt + Digitone very enjoyable to work with. :wink:

I tried to define what I meant with “magic” here, but it’s admittedly a silly word to use. I mean it in the Japanese flavor of the word, miryokuteki hinshitsu, which translates as ‘the quality that fascinates’. Specifically, to me, I’m looking for things that will push me into new territory. Reason 10 has plenty of samplers and plenty of samples, but I don’t really ‘play’ them as much as I’m just using them to lay down a beat in Kong and then switching to the sequencers for the melody part.

The Digitone really added to the melody already because it introduces sound that I’m unable to create in the built-in synths of Reason (Thor, Europa, etc). And, it introduces a new element of playfulness where I’m twisting a knob to transform the sound into something completely different, revealing new paths that transforms the track in ways I wouldn’t have expected. Simply put, Digitone pushes me towards results I wouldn’t have achieved without it. That, to me, is “magic”.

Is there a Digitakt equivalent of this quality? (Still catching up on 40+ unread replies, thanks everyone!!)

Edit: this was an attempt to reply to @DEEPMOSES

2 Likes

Digitakt has beautiful drive on every channel- pure magic

1 Like