Digitakt vs. Roland MC 707?

You can’t go wrong with Digitakt. It proven it’s reliability over time and It’s easy to use. Also The DT have a good integration with computer, It can be used as soundcard and you can sample from USB. It have a good sample manipulations, very good FX and can be used as synth with single cycle waveform. The DT is a do-it-all standalone machine for a good price, and I think it will remain the nicest piece of gear in this price range for a long time.

1 Like

There really are big pros and cons to each. Ideally everyone would and could get both the 707 and digitakt, but it’s expensive. I don’t think one is better than the other, just depends on what you’re looking to do.

Seems your right…you can use motion recording for Mod, Filter and FX and that’s it.

Recording Knob Movement in Steps (MOTION)

Movements of the [FILTER], [MOD], and [FX] knobs (MOTION) can be recorded in a clip.
(Page 34 MC707 reference manual)

I’ve totally missed that in the manual^^

List of parameters that can be assigned to the Mod, Filter and FX knobs:
Level, Pan,
Coarse Tune, Fine Tune (Tone and Drum only)
Portamento, Portamento Time (Tone only)
Cutoff, Resonance, Attack , Decay, Release (Tone and Drum only)
Vibrato Rate, Vibrato Depth, Vibrato Delay, Octave Shift (Tone only)

Delay Send, Reverb Send,
Pitch Bend (Tone only)
Pitch in semitones, Pitch Fine, Pitch Shift, Reverse (Looper only)

Matrix Control Parameters 1-4

1 Like

Diamond how is the velocity pad quality ? Maschine like ?

you should check out loopop with the mc707 and the menu diving is a full headache, even tho you can change literally every parameter this reminds me of a pure computer workflow where you search and search for presets and keep searching for everything you don‘t need but it’s there.

they thought it should include everything but if it’s not accessible or fast it’s a timewaster in a creative process.

here you go:

3 Likes

Each their own, but to me it looks like they did a pretty decent job making things accessible and straightforward. The way they show the signal flow in the synth engine seems nice, for example.

The bigger and four encoders should make it a much nicer experience than editing stuff on the TR-8S.

2 Likes

I’d be more akin to comparing the 707 with a Novation Circuit personally. Very similar styles and workflows, but the 707 is definitely the more robust of the 2. The 101 is almost exactly in the same ball park, but you get a screen with some faders as well.

Between DT and 707 I’d still go with DT but the per track polyphony and the FX of the 707 do make me envious.

One of the only reasons I still have my sp404 is because it’s the fastest way to get more performance FX for the DT. CntrlAll is cool but it’s a b**ch to try and get a traditional beat repeat from it.

2 Likes

Part of me wants that 707 so bad, part of me already knows where it will fall short… I’ll just do what I do in this case: buy and, later, sale it :rofl:

3 Likes

of course and with a midi controller at least even more controllable but it’s so damn crammed into a normal file structure and different pages etc…

I dunno, I think it really is one of those things people can only really answer after the MC 707 has been out a bit longer. I get what you are saying as far as features go, heck the korg ES2 also has an on paper better feature set than the Digitakt. Digitakt is really good at a lot though and the filter and overall tool set you get with it is great. I’ve been listening to the synth side of the MC 707 a bit hoping it would spark my interest some (actually more interested in the 101) but its hard to not think of all the sounds as passable backing sound and not anything straight up inspiring… I would almost have preferred they gave it some really old synth/rompler package in there like a MT32 and SC55, possibly some jp8000 on top of FX. The 4 partial system has been around for a long time and despite having some newness to it, the inspiration levels are pretty low. Maybe it is just the demos I have heard so far. As far as midi sequencing goes it seems like the digitakt is pretty far ahead with separate tracks for it rather than giving up a track to sequence midi. MC 707 is much more an all in one box, while I feel like the digitakt is meant to worm its way into your studio and live setups quite nicely, especially if you have some beloved synths to pair with it.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that on the 707 you can assign 3 parameters per track to those knobs above the fader. No need to add an additional controller for that.

Fading 3 tracks at once, while turning 2 knobs with the other hand, without an extra mixer or fiddly controller kung fu?

While launching different clips, without extra synth attached? If you sample your special sounds and copy them into this box it will deliver in performance mode and you could leave loved gear at home…

An external midi controller and synth means extra psv, extra cables, extra configuration brain, etc.
Sometimes you don’t want that. More error prone.

The 707 is a great Rompler

1 Like

and now I think if the piano guy just sequenced all the Pianos one after the other I were sold. :wink:

the quality of the sounds is great but I don’t know if the Unit is just way too straight and I personally would grab an Octatrack at this price point…if they had just brought the mc707 display to the mc101 which now looks like a toy in comparison. we’ll see.

The sound quality is exceptional though. And you could have a library of sounds at your fingertips. Chromatically lined up for composition. And you can add a lot of effects that are pretty good.

1 Like

Hi few cents from my side.
Just to introduce myself i would like to share i already have digitakt, roland mc505 in my setup.
I was very excited after release of both new MCs because I hope for an upgrade of my MC-505.
I already studied all mc707 presentations on yt and full reference manual. I compared already both mc505 and mc707 for myself and for sure is perfect upgrade for my mc505.
But I would never compare mc707 to digitakt. Both are fully different worlds. Of course they share some similar stuff but general purpose of those machines is different.
You should first share if you have any other gear, to let us know what kind of sonic territory you are covering already.
Then you should ask yourself a very honest question:
Do you look for incredible and outstanding sample mangling machine (digitakt) or all in one very decent/solid all in one workstation (mc707)?
Digitakt is a machine which allow your creativity go to the very next level, no other machine can handle so many sample parameters per step (switching samples included) except octatrack of course :slight_smile:
But if you have nothing yet in your studio i would say MC-707, it will do everything for you, with very nice clip based sequencer (like ableton), very capable synthesizer (do not hear people which say it is a rompler, the same people says about mc505, but they just do not know how to properly use those machines), it will let you play samples too, it will let you record internally loops and time stretch them. It will let you control external gear if needed and even layer effects on if you will use inputs Jacks.
Why? When I decided to go into hardware i had the same issue “what to buy” and I do not regret mc505 at all. I learned you that when you want you can build full songs on such a capable groovebox. What I missed was samples and that’s why I took digitakt. But later I learned i can make full song on digitakt too but in a fully different way :wink:
In the meantime I picked tb03 because I love this sound and now I’m missing FM Synthesis so Digitone is on my radar.

So to summarize if you do not have any other gear and do not know what to do and have enough money, I would say go with MC-707. MC-707 will provide all what you need for full tracks. But keep in mind if you decide for digitakt you will not regret it too, for sure. You just will not learn how to program real synth as good as on MC-707.
At the end no matter what you will choose you will return here to ask what you can add from hardcore synth palette to extend your sonic capabilities :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope this will help you a bit.

Cheers
Seb

7 Likes

Amen!
'nuff said!

:sunglasses:

When I’m in this situation I do a really simple excercise. Just listen to the thing. For example, in my opinion, in terms of “groove” and creativity, the Digitakt is much more compelling. All the Roland things tend to sound “robotic”. That’s their sound. On the other hand, all Elektron gear always sounds organic. There is something about Elektron machines, that you can’t find anywhere else. I’d totally go for a used Digitakt. The machines are built like tanks, that really opens an amazing quality used market. This things are like new for years if you take very basic care of them.

1 Like

I second that.

Pretty much the only reason the SP404SX is still in my setup.

That and performing full tracks live with FX running on AA Batteries.

2 Likes

The real test to bear in mind is …

As you set your HD camera on its tripod; hook up your recorder; ‘the machine’ centred on a rough hewn table; focused against pale shore sands in the foreground; neath stray palm leaves; the sparking blue green sea lapping to the nearby shore, framed by deep emerald sky; smeared light cloud; dappled in sunshine…

Is ‘it’, your centrepiece, the chunky angular dark beauty that is an elektron Digitakt, or is it a Roland super luminescent groovebox?

3 Likes