Digitakt vs. Octatrack

With some pre setup sampling on the OT can be as easy as selecting a track to choose one of the 8 recorders, and then simply pressing one of the input buttons to begin sampling, press again to stop.
The sample is available in the flex list and is used just like any other sample, or easily opened in the editor for trimming/slicing…
With more setup it’s possible to just press start and the OT is automatically sampling things all over the place and populating tracks with the samples automatically…
Once you set these up, you never have to again, and sampling is as easy as pressing a button or two, or just pressing start…

3 Likes

Haha, thank you for the imagery…
For some reason picturing them as gladiators is more funny to me than it probably should be… Haha!

lol, Lol, LOL :joy:

I am interested to know how much the workflow improves with the new button setups.
I don’t own either one yet, I am debating between the octatrack mkii or the Digitakt. Just waiting on reviews about the new workflow.

But I like what you said, once you set things up how you like it the workflow becomes easier on the OT.

The OTs very misunderstood, it’s different for everybody…
I don’t think using one is hard at all, and nothing really takes me more than 2 seconds to get at…
The OT requires a lot of preparation to construct a project, but when you have a nice project all set up it’s extremely quick and easy to maneuver around and make things happen…
I often separate programming and jamming, the more time I spend programming one day, the more awesome tricks and stuff I can do quick and easily another day when I’m jamming…

9 Likes

After looking at the new Octatrack M2, its the same as the old, nothing new not even overbridge,
What I believe Elektron have done is created the Digitakt with all the features requested for the Octatrack, (Overbridge, Tri Conds, Chromatic Sample playing, etc… ) but at the same time limiting some of the features of the Digitakt, like no SD Card, song mode etc… So maybe in the near future, they may release Digitakt MII with these features, which really is an Octatrack that so many have requested, I could be wrong.

I doubt it - the price point of the Digitakt (compare with OT, A4, AR) tells me they didn’t want to cannibalize OT sales, while still offering a product that will grab that part of the market who wanted a sampler, but nothing as complicated as the OT.
It would be weird branding-wise for them to eventually replace the Digitakt with a Mk2 that was more complex, since I think a big part of its value-proposition is the relative simplicity.

OT is now getting conditional trigs. Digitakt is OT-extra lite :wink:

1 Like

Digitakt is the poor’s Octatrack. :smile:

Ot has everything stereo, chromatic playing, 8 independant recorders with dedicated rec trigs, 3 lfos per audio/midi tracks, lfo designer, 4 audio in, 4 audio out, arpegiator…

On one track, you can add up to 10 different Fx, with Neighbors and master fx, plocked, modulated by 15 lfos. All audio tracks can be modulated very precisely with the crossfader, up to 240 parameters with min and max values.
And now TRC… :slight_smile:

What else ?

1 Like

yeah, OT mk II is the new DT :content:

2 Likes

Don’t forget timestretch. Major difference there

1 Like

Coming ???

Digitakt is for those who need an easy and affordable Mono Sampler with a blazingly fast Workflow which is soo satisfying to use because of that.

Octatrack is for those who need a Sampling Powerhouse with Timestretching Engines, Full Stereo Operation, lots of Effects, Tons of Modulation possibilities, Live Performance Features - the list continues.

Two very different Machines, they only share similarities on the MIDI Side of things! But MIDI is just a bonus; its not the core of these machines. And like @CorpusCollosum said: The OT will get Trig Conditions in the end. Elektron changed mind very quickly on that matter in the last Months.

3 Likes

Yep I forgot timestretch. You can mimic it with DT, AR and OT with lfo on Start, but it uses the lfo of course ! Interesting results, realtime speed change, pitch shifting. I tried on OT only (with timestretch off of course), but the principle is exactly the same.

1 Like

i can still remember how long it took until i one day found out that you can actually deactivate Timestretching or change its mode on the OT :smiley: This happens when you dont read the manual xD Was great fun back then. Really. Found it a bit more complicated to work with Single Cycle Waveforms though. Neverthless: I miss my Octatrack. Will definitely grab one again in the near future - thats for sure!

1 Like

Digitakt is an 8 track one-shot style sampler, with MIDI sequencer.

Octatrack is an 8 track tape-style sampler and per channel Multi-FX with scene memories, with MIDI sequencer and 2 stereo inputs/outputs

1 Like

More complicated with DT you mean ?

Slicing!

2 Likes

more complicated than on the DT, yeah :wink:

It seems easier and more accurate with OT, with slices, Octachainer …:sketchy:
How do you handle single cycle waveforms with DT knob 120.00 resolution ? Fn + knob to choose between 120 positions ?