Digitakt vs Octatrack

I agree with @RobertSyrett, and it’s the main reason I prefer the Digitakt over the Octatrack. The Octatrack is such a complex machine and can do far more than the Digitakt (including acting as a big Digitakt), but all these options makes it slower to work with, in my opinion. It takes more care and attention to set up the way I want, and if I don’t plan ahead I’ll trip over my own decisions later down the line. There’s so much inertia if I change my mind about how to use it in the middle of a project.

In comparison, the Digitakt feels like a “best of” mini version of the Octatrack. All the tracks are identical and you can’t customize the FX like you can on the Octatrack, which makes it easier to rely on muscle memory when navigating the Digitakt. Don’t underestimate how much energy it takes to double check what you’re tweaking when performing live, especially when you have to double check every time you tweak stuff on a different track.

If the Octatrack isn’t behaving as expected, troubleshooting can take a lot longer than on the Digitakt. The Octatrack’s flexiblity can work against itself in this case, since there are so many places it could go wrong: is the track muted? Which volume has been turned all the way down? Is the delay set to pass or not? Is the current scene silencing it? Is the filter cutoff all the way down? Has the sample accidentally been overwritten? The Digitakt’s checklist for when something goes wrong is a lot shorter because it’s a way simpler machine.

TL:DR; The Octatrack does it all, at the cost of speed/ease of use. The Digitakt is relatively simple, but laser focused and lightning fast. With my sometimes short attention span and limited music-making “stamina”, I tend to pick the Digitakt because I always spend less time on the hardware and more time on the music when using it.

10 Likes

Template

No live mangling, 1/4 of the modulation so no the “best of”

I don’t even look at the fx list much. I naturally know the amount of arrows buttons press I need.
I actually don’t look a lot at the screen either the encoders. I remember where every parameters is and because they’re 3x2 it’s easier to understand where you’re at instead of the 4x2.

That’s all user error nothing to blame the OT for.

Of course you can prefer the DT but I think you should invest a bit more time with the OT and learn it properly. :slight_smile:
Overall nobody wants the girl that looks like the ONE,it’s just a comprise.

Good point, I haven’t tried this yet.

The issue isn’t so much that the FX themselves are complex, it’s that you can assign them however you want. Which is overall a good thing, but it means you can’t rely as much on muscle memory. I might have a filter on fx1 and compressor on fx2 on my drum track, but a compressor on fx1 and reverb on fx2 on my melodic track, and something else entirely on the other tracks. When switching between the tracks to do quick tweaks live, I have to pay extra attention that I have the right FX selected before doing my tweaks. Or I have to correct for the wrong changes I made on the fly, then make the changes I actually wanted to do. This complexity isn’t on the Digitakt because it’s a simpler machine.

For sure, it’s user error. My point is that when using the OT there’s a lot more maintenance and troubleshooting involved than when using the DT. Having to stop and fix something on the OT takes more time and energy than on the DT because of its complexity.

3 Likes

I suggest as soon you open your template you save it in a new project otherwise you’ll override your template.

crossfader? :slight_smile: It’s one of the reason why is there. You won’t care about where your FX are. Your Scene 2 for example will always be filter drums or whatever you decide to be and that can be consistent for every project you make, if you decide so.

Well you can’t have the pretty girl if you don’t care about her. Simplicity could be nice but it’s limited and limitation it’s just limitation :smiley:
Like we can do whatever workaround we want on the DT or the OT to make it sound polyphonic but the truth is that it will be super limited at that point I get an MPC. The only reason I would limit myself is because I feel lazy and I hate laziness. Work hard to get what you want life is too short to wish for or accept limitations and we limitation we miss things.

I know my idea is not the common one but I see not reason on a DT. Even if DT is simpler it’s still Elektron and it require a different mind set, I won’t do that just for a bit of probability and modulation. Also I will feel I want more because I see the potential but I can’t, frustrating.

The crossfader is amazing, but it’s another thing that needs setting up. Once set up though, it’s really nice. In me experience, unless I’ve planned for everything and made a scene for every situation, I have to improvise and go into the tracks and tweak stuff that way. This is where I have to spend extra effort making sure I’m tweaking the correct parameters.

When you have limited options, you have less things to pay attention to, and that can make it easier to really dig into the limited options you have. And you’ll get the most out of these limited options if you’re creative and come up with workarounds. I think the Digitakt’s toolset is just the right size and has just enough complexity to encourage and reward using them in creative ways, without bogging you down in options.

At this point it’s down to personal preference, though. They’re both great machines, but they require different mindsets. I lean more towards focused and fast DT than flexible but complex OT.

4 Likes

How long have you had the OT? it seriously takes ages to be comfortable with it even though you know how it works… don’t give up on it, hope to see some more tunes from you using it!

But once you learn a grand piano it’s easy and you won’t come back to less keys. And you take out the most out of every keys instead of a limited selection.

It’s always down to personal preference! Discuss about something let’s you just understand another point of view which you might adapt or totally refuse and by explaining why I love the OT you actually have a confirmation about why you don’t like it. :slight_smile:

This summer :slight_smile:

It’s officially summer from yesterday where I am, so seasons are probably not a good measurement of time if that’s what you meant :joy:

1 Like

When the DT came out I watched the demos and quickly had ideas about how I might use it and the processes needed to get there. The OT demos on the other hand are unable to keep my attention long enough to learn much, it all seems too complicated and requires forward planning to get anywhere.
I love turning the DT on and seeing where I end up, I just cant imagine being able to do that on the OT without many months/years of practice.

3 Likes

“Once you learn a grand piano” is skipping over a bunch of intermediary steps. You can still use and make music with a piano even if you haven’t mastered it, and judging a tool based on the perspective of a master might not be that helpful for someone who isn’t already a master. Also, a grand piano with fewer keys doesn’t make sense. However a MIDI keyboard with fewer keys has the advantage of weighing less, taking up less space, and being more portable. It won’t have the range of a full 88 key keyboard, or the feel of weighted or semi-weighted keys, but it’ll be more convenient for someone who travels a lot or has a small space.

@DanJamesAUS I’ve had my Octatrack for 9 months, but haven’t used it much for the past few months. I’m planning on digging into it more regularly, when I’m ready to try a different approach. I’m used to sequencing stuff step by step or with a piano roll and mouse, but I think the OT will be a lot better if I use it with a more live recording type of workflow.

5 Likes

Any fool can see that the OT has more technical features than the DT, but to my mind to keep stressing this narrow point of view, only serves to demonstrate a limited understanding of the importance of feel, intuition and being in the moment, in making good music.

1 Like

I think having a different part for every pattern is a huge difference. Don’t you?

2 Likes

4 Likes

It is. Would be welcome on the OT. I think tho, the structure of the OT parts does lead to different results as well. Meaning you can load the Part into any pattern if you want (Not saying I do. I use parts in my own way). But, Parts did confuse the hell out of me for years after moving from DT to OT. But, yeah imagining a OT with 16 parts per bank is dreamy.

1 Like

The patterns become a meta sequence on the DT since we have pattern chains in lieu of a song mode these days. One song is one bank with up to 16 parts, but they are usually copy and pasted and then significantly tweaked. I need to be much more careful when using this workflow on the OT because I can’t change as much without messing up the previous patterns.

You definitely can generate happy accidents this way, but if you want consistently interesting results you will again need to plan ahead. As such I usually only do this at the end of transferring a song into the DAW, just to check for happy accidents.

1 Like

That’s where OT can excell, with its scenes/crossfader, morphing between set values of any of many parameters. I can be very subtle, very musical. A single pattern can become a very elaborated song. Impossible to have that level of control with DT (or any other gear).

Of course it has to be set before a live, as you’d compose with an intrument and tuned it before a live.

With DT you can mute tracks, use control all momentarily, set parameters individually, but it can’t reach that level of control.

4 Likes

20201202_071946

The End.

7 Likes

OT+DT=Space ODT?

2 Likes

I’m not taking sides on this topic. It aint what you use. Just saying the troubleshooting part almost completely goes away (after a certain time…for me it took a really long time, cuz dyslexia). Set-up does too…Unless we are talking about the hours of the day that I spend dreaming up new ways to set things up. :grimacing:

5 Likes