Digitakt vs Octatrack

People here seem to be suggesting that the DT has more “high end” or some sort of EQ boost compared to the Octatrack but that would imply that Elekron have deliberately coloured the sound wouldn’t it? That doesn’t seem very likely. Or is it to do with the D/A converters?

I’m curious, not trying to start an argument.

Yep. I asked the same thing a month or two ago. Apparently it’s very true. There’s a top end boost on the DT, which gives it that ‘hi-fi’ sound. OT is neutral without certain FX added - the default filter, for example, colours the sound.

1 Like

When deciding wether or not to buy an Octatrack I found it very difficult to slog through videos that were trying to showcase all the features, what I recommend is thinking about specific things youd want to achieve with Octatrack and finding tutorials on those specific tasks. Beyond that it’s a pretty personal choice that depends a lot on your ideal workflow and frame of mind when working on stuff. I will say tho that the OT is excellent at sound mangling and plays really well with external instruments and I could see it working really well for noise projects.

3 Likes

Definitely mostly true, but it is still the case that I am still learning about what the OT can do after a year of using it as my audio sketchbook.

by far the best series on the OT. The demonstrations are in the context of making music and the editting is really nice.

2 Likes

True according to who? I’ve been reading the same online arguments about “which DAW sounds flatter” for 15 years and it’s all nonsense. I used to work with a bunch of DSP experts who design and code music software etc and they all debunked the whole thing. We’re talking about high-end audio software engineers who have worked for NI, ROLI, Novation among others.

I don’t mean to be rude in any way, I just have a healthy scepticism that has developed over many years! If this EQ boost confirmation comes straight from Elektron then fair enough!

1 Like

@tnussb put across a convincing argument to me in another thread (can’t remember which) but I trust his knowledge on such matters. Let’s see if he’ll chip in again here :slight_smile:

1 Like

For your use, definitely an Octatrack. The Digitakt, while a very capable drum machine, has one HUGE flaw: the lack of song mode. It makes it pretty much unusable in a band setting without either someone “playing” it or an external sequencer to change the patterns. It’s great for actually making beats or whole songs out of samples, but as a drum machine to be used in a band setting it is sorely lacking.

The Octatrack on the other hand has EVERYTHING you could wish for for a sampler. It will definitely be what you want for a project like that.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the wonderful replies!
Looks like I’m going Octatrack, just got a phone call I have to go into self quarantine for 14 days so timing couldn’t be better. :smiley:

Some final questions tho.

1. Will the OT be able to take care of the complete rythm section (drums) of the band/project?
  2. Will I be able to somehow program it to still be able to do live vocals?
  3. Budget wise I won’t be able to afford a recording interface right away, is this necessary to start exploring? I’d rather opt for decent monitors instead.

Looking forward to digging in, and exploring.
99% sure ordering one tonight.

1 Like
  1. Most definitely. It can do the rhythm section, basslines and synths if you so wish and pre-record and assemble the track before hand.
  2. I don’t know, some people can do crazy things while singing but apart from simple things like switching tracks on or off, changing patterns and scenes and doing stuff with cross fader I’d say the Octatrack is a bit too complex to be programmed while singing. That said you can program a lot of stuff before hand and use the cross fader and scenes to do a lot of cool and weird stuff.
  3. You can make your songs directly into the Octatrack. While you cannot use it as an interface like some Elektron boxes, you can record up to almost almost 5 minutes of 44 khz audio into it. I’d buy the Octatrack and decent monitors, then save up for a Focusrite.
2 Likes

besides countless people in countless threads on this board :wink:

5 Likes

That’s what I was aiming for, programming in or looping a sample for the vocal parts.
Let’s hope it’ll be a sweet playmate for my Microbrute!
Damn I’m excited to start fiddling!

Thank you all for the knowledge, hopefully see you on the other side.
(Any extra tutorials, reads, whatever knowledge you feel like sharing, feel free to keep posting it.)

1 Like

get the OT dude but be ready to put in the work. Check out ‘The Messy Desk’ on YouTube for tutorials.

Get the MKII and get it today since Bax shop have 7.5% off if you’re in Europe.

Good luck. I’m just starting my journey on it after having previously owned it and after trying the Digitakt.

Just my 2 cents

3 Likes

Read the Merlin manual (can be found via google) and take it slow. Watch Cuckoo’s vids, he’s a great educator. It takes a fair amount of time to wrap your head around it, but once you do it’s just such a great & inspiring box to make music with.

3 Likes

I did a test back when I had DT, sampling the same source, it is very obvious if the source material has high end content - eg a drum loop with hihats.
I believe an Elektron employee confirmed it also on the forum.
As @craig said on OT you want to take all fx off before doing any comparison, also turn off time stretch.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I suppose it’s no different than a pair of headphones having a bit of “colour” to appeal to a consumer market.

1 Like

Forum member @mzero measured the Digitakt’s playback frequency response here:

6 Likes

Thanks for digging up the link.

Reading of official manual is inevitable earlier or later.

I would recommend to check EZBOT instead of Cuckoo. EZBOT explains in 5 minutes concepts for which Cuckoo makes 2 hour stream. Of course Cuckoo is charismatic, but I personally don’t learn anything from his videos.
Also Max Marco shows some advanced sides of OT.

Sorry for my negative.

10 Likes

If you’re intrigued by the Octatrack, what’s going to happen when you buy the Digitakt is you will fall in love with it and want to buy an Octatrack. And then you will have both. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Octatrack is not for everyone.

4 Likes