Digitakt vs competition

I was trying to decide between the DT and an OT MKI not too long ago. I went for the DT mainly due to the quality of the reverb, delay, and overdrive effects. I feel uneasy about all the complaints regarding the bit reduction effect though. I also prefer the smaller size.

2 Likes

Thanks, that means a lot. Iā€™ll definitely thoroughly share my thoughts as well as I can. I like bit reduction a lot, so Iā€™m pretty eager to get to know it on the DT.

1 Like

I have an E2 synth and I donā€™t hear any delay on pattern changes (albeit pattern changes can only occur when a pattern ends).
Have also found that my E2 syncs nicely when slaved to my OT.

Yeah, I know all of that. Thanks though.

1 Like

Some people donā€™t like it one bitā€¦ Others think itā€™s every bit as good as the one on the OTā€¦

3 Likes

Itā€™s part of my jobā€¦ :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You are lucky then. The E2 has a 30ms gap when new sounds have to be loaded, that never was fixed as far as I know. People used reverb a lot to Cover thatā€¦

The Rytm and Analog Four are the First devices that I have that Sync 100% with my Computer. That the E2 did not Sync well with Ableton may be a problem that does not exist with an OT but the Korg forums has a lot of People complaining about it.

1 Like

Agree the Korg gear has more issues. Iā€™ve been lucky thus far with the Microkorg and it syncs well with Ableton.
I would pay more for the quality in Elektron gear.

1 Like

I wouldā€™ve loved the Korg E2S if it were able to switch patterns without causing all samples to abruptly stop playing no matter what. This didnā€™t seem to be an issue for most people though surprisingly.

3 Likes

Mmm. Just tried a DT out in store for the first time. I canā€™t say it impressed me. Itā€™s sure cool, but I think I might hold off for now and see what the next 12 months brings. An SPS-2? :pray:

The elektron sequencer is just miles ahead of the competition. If programming is something youā€™re into, these machines are great. I made this on the rytm, but the same could be done with the DT. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1JbehQWgcIE

1 Like

Digitakt my first Elektron gear and all this talk about the superior sequencer, Iā€™d have to agreešŸ˜ƒ

I can fit drum breaks lovely within the sequencer and it sounds smooth when it loops. With other sequencers, fitting a drum break can be a chore and sound cutted abruptly as it loops. Even Tap Tempo is precise and that makes it all go smoother.

I feel like I bought a top of the line piece of gear, so well thought out. My MPC Live is catching dust, though powerful, I prefer the Digitakt for inspired beat making, it takes you to new levels.

5 Likes

I am waiting for the MKII to come available for purchase then will get the Elektron Octatrack to sequence my guitar and synthesizer gear. Probably add on the Elektron Analog Rytm MKII when that comes out as well as the Virus TI2 Polar then I am set. Most likely buy at end of next year. By then more reviews will show whether or not the MKII gear is worth buying new or not.

Octatrack with the virus will be a super powerful setup. Iā€™m using the rytm for everything when Iā€™m creating. Recording guitar samples, synths, and then sequencing it all with the rytm. Itā€™s a really cool piece of gear. If you have spare cash, the rytm mk2 looks pretty awesome, but being able to sample with the octatrack you could save yourself a few hundred bucks.

1 Like

Agree and being able to feed my guitars into the future setup will be fantastic for live performances to set up a drum groove beat and synthesizer track with live guitar and effects.

Cool. Iā€™m doing something pretty similar. Just not feeding the guitar live. I have samples of the guitar sequenced, then play live over top of them.

1 Like

Nice that is what I am doing. I recorded some live guitar samples this weekend and will layer them on top of my synth tracks and some drum beats. The possible options are infinite!

Next year when Octatrack and Analog Rytm MKII are widely available, then I can ditch the laptop and use these instead and hopefully I can import hundreds of samples for future tweaking at live events. Keeping the laptop and computers in the home studio and using the Elektron gear with loaded samples to me is the perfect setup. My end goal is two small portable boxes that weight 10 pounds and can be used easy in gigs where table space is at a premium.

1 Like

Gasp! I might have to hurry up and buy a used DT, then (spoiler alert: I canā€™t yet)

Can we be friends, please?

2 Likes

Juno.co.uk currently have brand new Digitakts for Ā£565