Digitakt vs competition

I don’t see digitakt and octatrack as a fat comparison against each other by any view. I’ve said in the past the only thing they really have in common is the fact they both can live sample at the basic level of the two. Individually, they are both extremely deep machines. Digitakt takes the per instrument per step feature like the Analog four is capable of so you can essentially build an entire beat plus sampled synths or whatever you want on one of the eight available audio tracks, which is a huge advantage to expanding how to use each track. Both will sound like what ever you sample, drums, pads, voices, noises, etc., what you do with them is up to your imagination.

I owned the tr-8 and loved how you can mix the kits from all of their different drum machines together, and sounded really good too. But it was very restrictive feeling, I guess bc I was used to the Elektron secquencing options and flexibility. I sold the tr-8 with all expansions bc I planned on getting an analog rythm, which I’m waiting for mk2 now bc I can have all of the traditional and non traditional drum machines saved as samples and manipulated in more ways than the originals could have been.

I have recently acquired the drumbrute, while I’ve only taken it out of the box once to ensure every instrument and button functions as it should, I’ve yet to experiement with it through my analog heat, but it sounds much better in person than in any of the videos I’ve seen. Then again, I’m hung up on the digitakt way of doing things now even with the few bugs and features yet to be unveiled.

I agree with many of the others, and it’s not that we are biased or fanboys, because many of us are very open to many different manufactures, but everyone always sends their praise for the Elektron way of sequencing. Also, remember this, you either gel with it quickly or it takes work to “get it” with Elektron machines, but even the most experienced people with Elektron boxes will learn something new each time they use them. That is definitely something that doesn’t exist with the Roland emulations, or the other drum machines you are considering.

Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with any of the drum machines you are considering, but it all comes down to what the operator is looking to get from their drum machine. Personally, I’ve done a lot of trades in the past year to get to nearly have everything I’m looking for until next months release of mk2 products but I’ve learned from one grave mistake, don’t get rid of something until you have explored the machine throughly, but that mistake did lead me to a good friend on this forum.

To get you into drum machines, more specifically an Elektron drum machine, I would advise you to look into the Machinedrum with or without the userwave feature as well. Besides from personal experience, this is a drum machine that (myself included) most people will be very reluctant to get rid of theirs. It has not been considered from what I’ve read. Even though it is a digital drum machine you can make it sound very metal and crispy, but when you learn your way around it you can coax some extremely deep tones and bass. Then learn more about the OG Cntrl-all machine! Which in my opinion blows the one on the digitakt out of the water! And even more, 16 channels to do whatever you want; audio or midi configured for however many you want, multiple outs. Sample and resampling internal or external. Fair priced for a legacy machine.

Not that you’d miss them on any of the other drum machines you’ve listed for consideration except the digitakt, but MDUW doesn’t have conditional trigs, micro-tuning, pretty light up buttons, essentially the current upgrades Elektron sequencer, but what it lacks in the current production sequencers it makes up for in versatility such as lfo per channel, chracter, and more. Research that drum machine just a little and you will see that besides it’s usefulness; even after you get bored with it (like that could happen), you will find new uses for it, or new ways to mangle up a sound you’ve always used; it’s a great way to be introduced into the Elektron way that can be implemented to expand on the rest of their lineup.

Yes I am partial to the Machinedrum, but it ruled as the best drum machine for many years and in many ways it still is. Their newer stuff is great too, but I would go for the “cheaper” drum machines that have already been suggested as an addition to an Elektron drum machine or sampler.

Save your money for for the one you have your heart set on. Adding any machine to any Elektron machine opens those other machines to many more avenues of imagination. You will not find another Elektronaut that will disagree with that.

I’m afraid you may still have to take more than one thing with you to a venue unless you do all of your preprogramming within Ableton and only bring that and the push with you just to have the drum machine sounds with. But if you are playing out live already, why would want to tie your hands by limiting yourself on the creativity for that in the moment vibe you get or you get from your crowd? I don’t like hauling gear around either, but I want to be able to express myself to the fullest potential of the gear I have available. You probably will inevitably have to expand your traveling rig some just to keep your versatility, maybe also start thinking about packs/bags or some kind of mobile case to keep you gear comfy as well. Just my opinions. I’m open to questions or contradictions if I’m coming across too opinionated, somebody has to let me know. Hahaha!

3 Likes

I know, I’m at work so just typing when I get the chance. I’ll go back and break it up. My apologies.

3 Likes

Cool thanks guys! I will probably save up until later in the year or next for my dream live trifecta of Elektron Octatrack+Rytm MK2+Virus TI2 Polar!

I can get a lot of mileage out of my Ableton and Microkorg gear for now. Been recording samples from the Moog which is pretty awesome. By then, I will be able to dig deeper in FM synthesis since Moog is subtractive synthesis and at least having some workflow experience will come in handy.

Good deal brother! No matter what you do have, in the end it’s all about the music.

Man, I’d love to get messy with a machinedrum but if there’s no microtiming, there’s nooo way… Even if I use “static” step grids occasionally, I need the option to be able to go “between the steps” at will. Aint no going back at this point after having gotten used to it.

1 Like

Yup totally agree. Right now the huge library in Komplete 11 Ultimate is more than plenty for me to stay busy! I figure that by the time I get around to buy new gear, I will have a large sample library to import into these Elektron gadgets for playing and tweaking on the fly.

1 Like

Using the digitakt to sequence the Machinedrum gives you micro timing, mangle the crap out of the Machinedrum and sample what you just did and go chromatic on it with the digitakt. It just gets crazier from there, sample it back into the Machinedrum for lofi grit and use the synthesis to do even more to it. Send it back to the dt for conditional trigs or what have you. Rinse and repeat. You can bounce anything and everything back and forth all day. Each can get pretty far out there by themselves but together, I don’t even know if there is a word to correctly describe them other than totally whikid!

Edit: I don’t think I ever said anything about no more lfo woes. Oh and the assignable outs on the Machinedrum can be routed back into itself for an additional demention of craziness. I’m talking full on twisted.

Please tell me I’m not the only person who has put these two together. Seriously, unexpected results pending. I haven’t sampled a cntrl-all from one into the other and cntrl-all’ed it on the other. Maybe I’ll just get a flatline…

2 Likes

I’d need the machinedrum plocks with modern elektron microtiming. Will stick to my A4/AR combo for now. Even OT mk II will give me microtiming, which I am going to get, so dunno, maybe…

I’m weird b/c I feel like the DT ain’t really appealing at all, but don’t want to rain on anyone elses parade about it. Maybe I’ll get one eventually and go “what the hell was I thinking?” but right now the big boxes are where its at for me.

Nice hopefully the new Octatrack MKII version can do this and more for me the options to create are worth paying a premium over the Digitakt. BTW I noticed my pro-American opinions are not popular in the last thread so I will stick to products. Since I lost my job this year to outsourcing it is a sore and sensitive matter to me. With that said, I have full confidence that products made by Elektron are high quality and made in Sweden just like the Teenage Engineering gear also is a Swedish company and Virus is made in Germany.

The Electribe 2 has a lot of problems that have not been addressed by Korg in two years. For instance, there is a 30ms gap when changing pattern, which might be a challenge for live gigs, it does not sync nicely with other midi gear. I sold it after two months and never regretted that.

I can see the Digitakt as the center of a live gig, sequencing other gear with that superb sequencer of it, plus it sounds very nice. Using single cycle waveforms, the Digitact is also IMHO the better synthesizer, as the E2s synth section has been dumbed down. The conditional trigs alone make the DT the better machine for drumming and bass.

I have a Rytm, but if I had not, the DT would be on my shopping list.

K

3 Likes

Yup both Korg and Arturia products have many bugs from what I’ve read on the Electribe and Beatstep Pro. Fortunately my Microkorg has been ok so far for the price. My next synth will be the Virus and sequencer Elektron.

To be fair the beatstep pro has been fixed with firmware updates. It’s very usable in its current iteration IMHO. It was a mess when it was released tho!

1 Like

The only problem I’ve heard about in the drumbrute is the missing maraca sound but that may have been resolved. Isn’t an issue in mine.

I wasn’t aware the octatrack mk2 was going to have new features other than upgraded inputs and additional buttons to reduce menu diving for certain functions (5 new buttons) and an upgraded slider and become a new branded trinity I’ve dubbed the “dirty trinity” since they’re no longer black. Other than that no differences In the operating system firmware version. I could be wrong though. But your only advantage of waiting out for the mk2 is new buttons for features that already exists in the mk1 octatrack. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong here.

1 Like

My understanding is besides the new button layout, the Octatrack MKII will have a new and better OLED screen and few other touches over the last gen model. I checked out used prices and to be honest, the new price of the MKII Octatrack is only like 100-200 more than some guy’s used old model. Rather pay $200 more for a brand spanking update and 3 year warranty. Electronic gear is super expensive to fix if you buy a used one and it breaks.

cool I need to check it out as a possible affordable MIDI and CV sequencer. I like the low cost and small footprint of the BSP for hooking up and managing both MIDI and CV devices.

I don’t think you’re looking around enough- I’ve seen them go for 800 on B&H and that’s new w/ 3 year warranty too

Though, I like the OT grey(not so much the analog greys)

2 Likes

100-200? Dunno who those people are but in Europe they go for about 650 euro cheaper than the mkii

4 Likes

Mk1’s are better! :wink:

1 Like

Just checked ebay and now see used Octatrack for 700-800 so yeah that is a $400 discount over new! BUT the warranty and peace of mind is what you are paying for new besides being the first person to use it.

If DT is a drum machine, OT is a stereo one that can do more.
I can see brand new MKI at 900 euros…
Don’t forget it.