Digitakt vs competition

So for a bargain drum machine that costs under 1k we have:

Digitakt
Arturia Drumbrute
Electribe 2 and Volca Beats

What advantages does the more expensive Digitakt have over these less expensive drum machines?
I actually like the Arturia Drumbrute that I tried and it is $200 cheaper and the Korg Electribe sampler has ability to store samples and record on an SD card and export projects to Ableton which is a nice feature. I sure wish that Electron had added an internal SD card recorder to do this as well.

Thoughts? My budget does not have 2k for an Analog Rytm or DSI Tempest right now and thinking a nice drum box would complete my Microkorg for live gigs without a laptop and Ableton Push.

2 Likes

Digitakt. Lots of uses.

3 Likes

First things that come to mind are definitely the screen and the visual UI. The other is excellent pairing with other Elektron machines. Personally from the reports on the forum it still looks like a buggy situation so if u want a rock solid device now, the DT may not actually be the best recommendation right now. That said these bugs are disappearing quickly. I’m kinda waiting for the end of the year when these bugs settle down, OB is out (another big plus) and maybe an extra feature or two (crosses fingers for stereo)

The answer is in the specifications. Almost always.

Get some browser tabs going of each instrument and compare.

3 Likes

Read reviews and watch as many youtubes as you can then make a decision.
Generally you can get a good idea of all the pros and cons

3 Likes

Yup and if you can accept any machines limitations and work around it then you’re future proof :grinning:

6 Likes

No that’s too sensible.
Better to complain about lack of features that were never promised to be implemented :grinning:

6 Likes

I want to say bang for buck is electribe. This is coming from a very dedicated and loyal elektron user. At one point my live rig had 5 elektrons in it. I have also owned both Electribe 2 and 2S. There’s actually massive benefits to both, and they are vastly underappreciated in my very humble oppinion. I only sold mine to fund the analog range of elektrons which I’m happy I got, but I also sort of miss the electribes for how portable, versatile they are. The workflow is simple enough, but can go quite deep. Also, as you said, they both have SD cards and can export to ableton. VERY useful… opening up the website for the place I order gear from right now to see what the prices are on them hehehehehe might have another one in my near future.

3 Likes

Bro after looking at all these for sale ads on good drum machines / samplers even I felt a tear drop come out

Nothing wrong with those other machines, but there’s a real standout with the Digitakt and that’s the sequencer. Aside from that, it sounds like whatever samples you feed it.

3 Likes

I guess if you wanted to expand your list, there are some emulations of classic drum machines out there that could qualify as competition. (If it were for me, I would take another look at the TR-8, for example–but your mileage may vary.)

The Digitakt is a problem-solver and could pair well with a MicroKorg, but if I were thinking live with that set-up, I would have to decide, for sure, if I could live without velocity-sensitive pads. I think the Digitakt’s the most powerful and can fit into a lot of setups in ingenuous ways, but (and this is also just to me), I would feel like I was committing to planning a lot out in advance, since actually playing drums with it would be, well, more like a drum computer and a little less like a drum machine. Then again, if I wanted to sample live as part of the performance, Digitakt would probably remain on top. For studio, it’s what I’d want most and I loved using the DT. To me, the speed and design blew the others away, though I don’t know the MicroBrute well.

For me, I haven’t found Drumbrute demos online that have made it sound like it’s for me. I like aggressive and stompy stuff, and I’m just guessing, but I think I’d want to run it through pedals. So, to me, it would be different–but if I liked the sounds, like got to try one and was wowed by it (which you seem to be describing), then it would definitely be near the top of the list for live use.

And the Electribe, to me, is a lot more powerful and “usable” than the Volca Beats, where I’ve used both a little and they’re fun and certainly worth considering. If the Electribe workflow speaks to you, it’s going to be able to cover a much wider range than the DrumBrute. So as a creative tool for exploring, the Electribe is closer to the Digitakt, though I feel like the DT is much more powerful in ways that make sense to me–but the Electribe is velocity-sensitive and, like you mention, it has a card that’s a little easier to deal with and can play nicely with Ableton. But if all I wanted was a beat and the MicroKorg would be the star, and money was tight? The Volca Beats would win because it’s priced right and can handle some stuff relatively well.

So those are my thoughts and I agree with the idea that going over the specs and your likely uses will help balance out how the DrumBrute is the most drum-machine-oriented, like a more traditional tool based on the legacy of drum machines; the Digitakt is (to me) extremely fast and a joy to use in a way that blows my mind, and can do a whole lot of different things–but plenty of those might not apply to any given use; the Electribe 2 is well-thought out and interesting, with the compatibility and velocity strengths; and the Beats is significantly more affordable and the size makes it a lot easier to carry around. None of them seem like really bad ideas to me (taking into account the Volca price), based on what it sounds like you’re thinking.

1 Like

Cool thanks. Yeah right now I have my Ableton DAW and Push as my sampler/sequencer/recorder. It works great and I cut tracks to it from my Moog and other synths and VSTs. I figure that if I get an Octatrack or Rytm then I can load my hundreds of prebuilt tested samples into it and tweak those further for live events. It would be nice to show up with just one small box for shows instead of the trifecta of laptop, Push, and synthesizer.

1 Like

The analog rytm mk I is a dope drum machine and right now sells for less than 1k new.

If you’re on a budget, the PO32 is a great choice for a drum synth.

Most of stuff in the middle is aight but always lack something, either they’re samps only or synthesis only. The rytm mk I has both synthesis and samps.

tbh I wouldn’t go for a digitakt right now, as the mk I elektrons are all almost the same price as the DT since the mk II elektrons were announced. I’ve heard the digitakt is a bit buggy as well ATM. If I wanted a digitakt, I’d buy it second hand right now, hell you can almost buy an analog four for the same price right now.

Right now the DT would be a good value if it sold for 499, considering the prices of the big boxes.

1 Like

True at this point, I think that I will wait for a used Analog Rytm or DSI Tempest to come around for sale at good discount. By then I should have most of my live sample library ready to load up for shows.
My goal is to build several hours of samples for live shows that can be ported easily to future Elektron gear.

Sonic potions LXR, that thing rocks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For my money, nothing beats the Rhythm Wolf

2 Likes

Just hold the novation cirquit and the Digitakt in your hands and you understand the difference

Next to this
Digitakt has 2 major advances:

1. sequencer.
    The elektron sequencer rocks! When you work with it, you never want another. It opens all other Instruments with midi out.
  2. simplicity
    The cognitive ergonomic approach is amazing
    Everything can be done directly
    This is So important with a music instrument

I am not someone who only loves elektron
But on this pricerange
I still love elektron
And the others, I cannot take them seriously

4 Likes

What are your thoughts on the Tanzbar/Tanzmaus machines and Roland TR-8/TR-9090?

i don´t see competition vs. the DT.
just apples and oranges.

but honestly, i have none of the other boxes.
but i might have p-locked enough out of some samples to see where differences lie.

only DT vs. OT is halfways in competition in my opinion.

in regards to analog Drumsounds vs. samples + p-locks do i prefer the samples + p-locks at any time. just to add this also.

5 Likes

Ok I am saving for this setup:

Elektron Octatrack MKII
Elektron Analog Rytm MKII
Access Virus TI2 Polar

That will replace my laptop and Ableton Push for live gear and give additional workflow creative ideas as well.
Probably get the new Rytm first.

1 Like