Digitakt-Users - How do you like the new encoders?

4 Likes

Iā€™d also prefer pots to encoders, I think the reason encoders are used is because they do not require lots of at least 10bit ADC inputs on the mcu used, since encoders are digital. But (IME) pots generally seem to last much longer, feel better, are more precise generally and allow instant clear visual feedback in single function applications, on multi function applications the firmware can allow catch, incremental or pass through behaviour.

2 Likes

Yeah Dave Smith realised how shite encoders are, itā€™s about time Elektron did as well

2 Likes

hang on, pushing the encoders down changes their behaviour?

(Iā€™m an idiot)

1 Like

I think the reason encoders are used is because pots make no sense for the kind of page-based parameter approach where the function of the encoder changes all the time.

Pots are superior for one-knob-per-function interfaces, but start to suck quickly when you frequently change the parameter thatā€™s being edited with it.

One recent synth where this becomes very evident really quickly is the Bass Station IIā€¦

2 Likes

They are OK for some functions and too fiddly and tweaky for others. I think that for stuff like filter, loop point, efects, levels and so on they are OK. Sample tune is the major PITA for me Iā€™ve run into so far. I wish semitones was the default and the micro-increments would be done with FUNC or pushing the encoder.

They feel nice to use, nothing to complain about that. Itā€™s just the calibration thatā€™s off with some of the values IMO.

2 Likes

Perhaps, although it worked fine on the Sidstation and many other instruments, I think the key to using pots and being successful in multi page instruments is to have a visual indication of the parameter values, and a sensible solution for what happens when the physical pot value is different than the parameter setting. As long as they are implemented well (again IME) pots are far more robust once an instrument is over 5 years old, I have probably replaced 10 times the amount of encoders vs pots in my gear, and to be perfectly truthful I am kind of careful with my gear, and I am not gigging it or exposing it to dust/smoke etc.

But yes, it is definitely down to personal preference and how well either the pots or encoders are implemented and the quality of parts used etc.

2 Likes

encoders are alright, but nothing like sequential P6

The are great

while weā€™re on the subject, is there a way to do finer increments on OTmk2? I tapped a tempo and it went to 90.2 bpm, couldnā€™t find a way to get rid of the .2 . not a big deal, just a bit annoying

I think you can do it: Tap Tempo > Trig Mode Button (Up or Down)

was the encoder acceleration issue ever resolved at the digitakt?.. having the same problem on the digitone

Didnā€™t read the whole thread but Iā€™d agree with others in that their over all good and fine but it would be nice if you could have an adjusting ability in the menu for maybe sensitivity and response parameters to set to your taste. I like that the knobs respond more or at larger incriments depending on how fast you turn them, but small increments gets touchy.