Digitakt users, how do you chop?

I meant mixing of an incoming signal, routing the inputs through the effects panning them and such. That I think is an appealing part of the DT&OT.

1 Like

I agree on the first point, but I don’t really see why mute groups should matter here for us as sample based beatmakers in particular.

If the tracks are monophonic and any sample can go in any track then you can just put things on the same track if they need to cut each other off, no? Also, if we’re programming rather than playing things in you can easily have samples cut each other off even if they’re on different tracks because we can set note length per step. Moreover, there are only 8 tracks that can all be easily muted and unmuted on the fly no matter what else you’re doing.

I don’t get this complaint.

2 Likes

Oh right. Yeah no, with MPC’s the input is for sampling.
Although I can use my 1990 Akai rack sampler as an effect unit. But most, if not all others cannot do this

Yes!
But I like mute groups for playing in breaks. If you use bits (like quarter notes) of drumbreaks, mute groups are kind of handy. It’s just a pain in the butt to do it without those one shot bits of breaks cutting each other off

1 Like

Yeah I guess the disconnect is that I don’t really like playing things other than melodies in. And even there that’s only because of how the step sequencer and the keyboard occupy the same keys. I chop up breaks but I’ll do it on one track for each and program it. Since that way I can get the microtiming just right, adjust the velocity and the filter for each step, etc. That kind of stuff. I guess just speaks to how we use things.

For me, the Digitakt is about being able to do precisely what I want on each and every step. In that way, not being able to zoom in on a sample is probably the biggest problem I have with it. Like slices would be great but I’d wind up parameter locking start points anyway. And I have other things that I like for other reasons that I can play around with chops on.

Yeah simple mute groups or slices on a track make for a very fast sampling workflow. Having to know what you want to p-lock in what place doesn’t seem intuitive to me…anyway, regretting not having gotten an OT right now, let’s see if that changes.

1 Like

Yeah, I think because it’s not designed for slicing either you’ve got to settle on something that works for you or just decide the Digitakt itself won’t work for you and move to something that will. Personally, the combination of the Sampletrak and Digitakt is great for me. But I also don’t mind sampling something into the Sampletrak first to figure out what I want to do with it and then doubling back and sampling the thing into the Digitakt and recreating the chop with parameter locks or committing to what I did on the Sampletrak and just sampling that into the Digitakt. It’s definitely not intuitive. It’s definitely a workaround but I like it and prefer it to using something like an MPC that’s designed for it.

Honestly, I think if the Digitakt had a slice mode I’d still start with the Sampletrak or now the Circuit if for no other reason than I have a dumb thing about naming and saving samples that I’m not sure if I want to keep. But that’s a personal issue.

2 Likes

You’re right, see and either settle or sell.

Yeah everybody has their own quirks, which is why one often has to try a device to see if it’s for them, or not.

Anyway thanks for all the advice!

1 Like

Have you looked into the Deluge at all? It could satisfy the desire for a self contained unit, synth & sampler.

I know it sounds silly, but the aesthetics have kept me away from that one so far. But I’ll look into it.
Also not many knobs for immediate changes…

Hey to the elektronauts !

What are your workarounds / general tips for working with samples that one would really like to get onto the sequencer with a evenly sliced manner ?

Maybe you got a few sampling trick tips in general up your sleeve ?
Please shoot !

Cheers !

I’ve actually got a few videos that are mostly about samples slices.

You can get even slices with an LFO:

This works whether or not your sample is a perfect loop.

If your sample is already a loop then you can just use the fact that the length of a sample is 120 and go from there. So if you’re slicing a loop into 8 parts then 120 divided by 8 is 15. So if you set your start points at 0, 15, 30 etc you’ll have even slices.

Most of the time, I use trigs to set up slices by adjusting the start point and then copy and paste them around like I did in this video:

Hope that helps

2 Likes

I do it the p-lock way, when you tune the sample down you can get the ‘chops’ really detailed.

But sometimes I also put the whole sample on 1 track, resample that track and save indiv chops with the zoom function (make sure to save/move the chops to your project folder) and p-lock it that way