Digitakt/tone for full production

This is exactly how i found the “true artist” in me. I find it much easier to play what i want rather than program it on a PC. On a PC i get turned down by slow working when always having to setup/config stuff. All the options just kills the flow for me because i have problems with my attention gettin lost scanning all the possible options. And yes i have an attention disorder. :love_you_gesture::metal::love_you_gesture::metal:

3 Likes

Hehe, yep. Choice paralysis sucks. Another thing I noticed is that while I work faster in a DAW, I also get tired faster. I can sit an hour and make a dense and complex 1 minute loop, but at that point I’m exhausted. With hardware it can take a minute to do what takes seconds to do in a DAW, but I’m just more patient with hardware for some reason. I work slower, but finish more stuff with hardware.

3 Likes

I think it would depend on how deep you get into each machine, with multitrack recording, pattern chaining, and sound design. I think those 2 would be all you need. I think eqing can be achieved through the machines themselves. We wouldn’t want you to fall for the gear acquisition syndrome ;]

4 Likes

Your’e spot on. There is many ways to make sounds fit together, i have learned better sound design because my grooveboxes/modular dont have mixing tools. Placement, dynamics, timbres and harmonics makes a good sound/song desing. Eqing and all kind of deep processing is best for mixing and mastering/polishing wich is best to do outside the instruments (a small mixer with simple 3 band eq is usually enough when recording a full mix, im not an paid artist).
These days i see alot of people use eq for sound design first boosting and doing all kinds of crazy processing just to eq out everything in the end making a “crappy” sound be something. Yes it is just an artistic way to some and there is no right or wrong in the art, just people and things. I appologize for making things too philosophic.

To answer the topic:
Digitakt or/and digitone are well suited for full songs. For full production as stated before it depends on what one mean, they are instruments not workstation. peace boys and girls :banana:

3 Likes

This ep is amazing, i love slowly evolving soundscapes rough or smooth, this would fit a game or movie perfect. This really takes my subcouncious on a journey, now listening to it while working. I have some basic degree in electronics and coding. Do you code as dayjob?

2 Likes

Thank you very much!!!
I work as a Test Engineer mainly, but we have a lot of test automation, so I get to do a fair bit.

1 Like

Hey man, I’m using the Digitone for standalone Minimal Techno/Deep House jams. I think it’s an awesome piece of gear for that and really pushes your creativity due to the limitations it has.
This jam for example is from my YouTube channel, where I have several tutorials on that as well:

5 Likes

You can do anything with Digitakt alone.Add the Digitone and I think it is even more than anyone would ever need.

Full production means different things for everyone,in my case it’s a nice and balanced mix.Mastering music is something many people consider something to be done by professionals so I wave that out.

Here is a full production I did with Digitakt and a Roland JP8080 which is essentially “less” than what the Digitone can give you.

Vocal deep house stuff that is made just with these two machines and recorded in a Zoom R16.

1 Like

I’m using Digitakt and Digitone for psytrance… it’s almost enough but sometimes i’m missing one or twomore classic VA polyphonic synth tracks (this is genre with really lot of things going on, i would say it’s “maximalistic” genre lol), so i ordered Novation Circuit :wink:

But definitely possible to make full length great tracks with just DT+DN - proof is youtube, it’s full of great music of many genres, made with those two magic boxes :slight_smile:

Here some examples of my DT+DN only tracks

1 Like