Digitakt RK-002 set-up and use issue

Hey all,

Total noob here and have seen all the videos online but having trouble figuring out RK-002 with Digitakt.

After setting channels 1 (+3) on retrofits portal and all the correct settings in DT (Dave Mech, Retrokits and others) I’m not sure what I’m actually doing with the channel modes on the DT. When I put MIDI A to channel 1 it works. When I put it to channel 9 the notes become duophonic. When I put the Euclidian channel in it’s madness and I have no idea about arpeggiator. Also have no idea about CC mapping. I’ve RTFM but have basic concepts that I don’t understand so I’m kind of missing the basics.

I am out of my depth but it seemed like a great idea when I saw the RK-002 so I picked one up.

Anyone out there have foolproof advice or resources they could point me to? Each setup video seems to have bypassed the stage I’m missing and focuses more on the creative jams rather than the concepts behind the setup.

If you made it this far I salute you.

1 Like

i also struggled with this but managed to get poly / euclidian / arp modes working. here’s what’s working for me:

MIDI CONFIG SETTINGS

sync :

• enable clock send = checked

port config :

• output to = “midi” or “midi + usb”
  • receive notes = checked
  • receive cc/nrpn = checked

channels :

• track A channel = OFF
  • track B channel = OFF
  • track C channel = OFF

=================================

POLYPHONY

• MIDI A SRC page : enable CHAN ( knob A ) and set to 9

• to play chords either activate chromatic mode for MIDI A, or program chords manually through MIDI A TRIG page knobs A - D

• you can control the polyphony depth / number of sample slots the rk-002 distributes polyphony across in realtime straight from the digitakt. enable knob D “PROG” on the SRC page for MIDI A

• a value of 3 = 3 note polyphony utilizing sample trigs 1, 2 and 3. a value of 8 = eight note polyphony utilizing all 8 sample trigs, et cetera
    • super handy changing this on the fly directly from the digitakt versus needing to plug the rk-002 into a midi interface to edit the settings through the retrokits DUY webpage
  • ( if you get double notes while not in chromatic mode = double check midi config channel A setting = OFF )

EUCLIDIAN PATTERN GENERATOR

• MIDI B SRC page : enable CHAN ( knob A ) and set to 10
  • pattern must be playing
  • all control via FLTR page knobs A - H corresponding to sample trigs 1 - 8. ( knobs must be enabled first )

ARPEGGIATOR

• MIDI C SRC page : enable CHAN ( knob A ) and set to 11

• activate chromatic mode for MIDI C, played chords will be arpeggiated

• arpeggiator sound source = sample trig 8

• change parameters on knobs knobs A - G on the FLTR page for the MIDI C trig ( knobs must be enabled first )

• knob A : mode: OFF, UP, DOWN, ALTERNATE, RANDOM, AS_PLAYED
    • knob B : gatecode: 1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, et cetera
    • knob C : clock length 1-48
    • knob D : transpose 0-36
    • knob E : octave range min 0-4
    • knob F : octave range max 0-4
    • knob G : hold off/on

min / max values above apparently mapped 0 - 127 for each knob

not sure what “gatecode” does, different settings make no difference in the sound for me. other settings like octave min / max don’t behave as expected, but turning the knobs does change things. arpeggiator seems to follow the master clock regardless when a note is triggered. not the most fully featured or easy to control arp but better than nothing !

def agree explicit instructions up front from retrokits would help but they’re very responsive to clarifying questions on their youtube videos. hopefully this’ll get you going at least.

6 Likes

Thanks iotb!

I’m currently away from my DT but will give it a go when I’m back to it.

Great explanation, thanks again.

1 Like

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide so much detail!!

1 Like

Thx so much !
You say :

"EUCLIDIAN PATTERN GENERATOR

• MIDI B SRC page : enable CHAN ( knob A ) and set to 10
  • pattern must be playing"

Would you know why my euclidian plays even when the pattern is STOP ?