Digitakt reliability?

Thomann will get them soon, are they ready ? are they bugy ? I mean, can you guys make musik on them and play it live ? I need to now should i buy one now wait a bit more.

So far, I use audio tracks exclusively and while there are minor glitches here and there, I haven’t come across any showstoppers, crashes, etc. since I’ve installed the 1.04 firmware update.

1 Like

Midi is unreliable, I am on firmware 1.04 here. Crashes frequently while handling midi (I have no midi loop, just trying to sequence 2 synths)… I have been trying to use it as a midi brain, and I am unhappy, and thinking of getting rid of it.
But the drums are great and that is why it is still sitting on my studio… :confused:

1 Like

There is no way all of the midi issues is not getting fixed given time. I have to believe that a lot will evolve with the DT during this fall when Elektron will be in full staff again after the annual holidays. I would definetly hold on to it if I were you. Unless you really need that functionality pronto and is strapped for $$.

4 Likes

I’ve been using mine pretty heavily since getting it and have yet to encounter anything that would prevent me from recommending it. There has been the occasional (but inconsequential - no pun intended) graphic glitch and I had one problem that was clearly caused by a MIDI loop. However, I have been sequencing internal sounds and external MIDI devices without trouble since sorting that bit out. I may be fortunate in not having any real issues, and I am not at all dismissing those that do - I simply may not have encountered them yet. Still, I am finding mine to be reliable so far.

2 Likes

thanks guys, so it looks like all units are not going to experience he same bugs, like some have extensive midi problems,while other (units) do not ? (meaning i could get lucky :P)

I haven’t had any issues for a while though I don’t midi external stuff a lot
I have hooked it up to midi designer control surface ( lots of midi data going in ) with no issues.

I’ve used midi loop recently with no issues , I think I turned midi clock send off .

Would I use it for a live gig , based in my experience , yes.

1 Like

I think this does not relate to different units, but different people using it in different ways. As far as Midi goes it may have to do with the devices being sequenced to a certain externt, but the hardware is the same and the software is the same. I think pretty much all issues so far is strictly to do with the software. Which is also why it is fixable. If two people used the EXACT same approach in two different units I am confident the results and issues would be the same. There are however a lot of variables whithin a project and that I think is the main reason why some people seemingly are experiencing different issues. Some people (not me so far) have experienced bugged projects etc.

2 Likes

Since 1.04 I have had MAYBE 2-3 freezes. That said, I’m using 6-8 MIDI tracks to seq 3 external synths and all 8 audio tracks. Have played live twice with it. I’m finding it very solid right now.

5 Likes

I’m certainly grateful to hear about the Midi issues concerning the MIDI tracks issues. As that’s the main draw for me wanting the DT(also the eventual OB that’s set to come out).

Very good to hear I can just focus on saving money for the time being and delay purchasing a DT when the MIDI, at least, is in full working order- and maybe OB released for it, too.

Are you working with Direct MIDI or USB Midi?

1 Like

Direct DIN MIDI using a Quadra thru. It DOES seem like USB MIDI and MIDI in (using out only) has been causing issues?

1 Like

Ah! That’s what I want to use it for! :confused:
(I was wondering why they didn’t demonstrate USB Midi on their Midi Tracks video)

Another big concern with the DT is using OB simultaneously with Midi USB. I’m just seeing there being a plethora of issues with that. Though, they updated their midi since the mk1 analogs!

If you’re not using it live, I wouldn’t worry too much. The freezes are annoying, but everything seems to auto save and the DT is just sooooo much fun it’s worth it.

4 Likes

If my own (albeit limited) experience is any indication, I wouldn’t sweat this too much. I’ve only been using the Digitakt via USB MIDI (though I have a standard DIN cable plugged into its input as well - I’ve not made use of it yet). I’ve had no serious issues other than the one mentioned above - that I think was due to a combination of MIDI loop and aimless messing around with the settings on my part (and, in fact, now that I think about it, it may have been a Cubase or Kyma issue rather than a Digitakt problem).

Here’s a rundown of my current project:

Digitakt is set to receive MIDI via MIDI+USB.
Digitakt MIDI out is set to USB only.
Turbo speed is not enabled.
Auto Channel is set to 14
Prog CH In CH is set to Auto
Prog Ch Out CH is also set to Auto
Digitakt is being MIDI sync’ing to Cubase, as well as being played on its own.
I have a bunch of samples playing on the Digitakt’s audio tracks.
Digitakt is sending MIDI to a bunch of external gear, routed through Cubase MIDI tracks
I am using Digitakt to sequence both Novation Circuit synths, Volca FM, Roland MKS-80, Kyma, and various parameters on an Eventide GTR4000 (which is processing a looped rhythm in Cubase playing in sync with the Digitakt)

I have had no problems at all while working on this particular project. Would I take this project out live? No, 'cause the external MIDI gear itself might not be dependable. However, I’ve no problem with the Digitakt itself, so far. (I’ve been working on this project for about a week) Hopefully that puts your mind at ease.

3 Likes

On 1.04 here. I experience somewhat frequent freezes while sequencing external MIDI gear (3 synths, thru-chained). For me, they aren’t showstoppers because I can power cycle (always wait about 30 seconds) and then the project is back just as I had left it. However, for live performance, this would absolutely be a big problem because I am experiencing a crash at least once every 2 hours or so.

I’m not returning mine because I am invested in the workflow now and I have faith that a big issue like this one will be fixed. However I can’t recommend buying one to anyone who wants to use it LIVE with external MIDI gear RIGHT NOW. And I would only recommend buying it if you are fully aware that there could be somewhat frequent crashes when using MIDI.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth I haven’t had any crashes in 1.04 but I’m also just sending out midi clock from the Digitakt (plus programming the audio tracks). The last freeze I had was in 1.03 and that was during an auto-save for the project - But it still saved. I really like the Digitakt and trust it to do what I program. Also, Elektron have been working on midi with each update so I can’t see midi being buggy for very long.

3 Likes

I suspect the crashes are resulting from sequencing external gear. They seem to happen when I’m running a sequence or playing one of my synths through the Digitakt’s chromatic mode.

1 Like

i use mine live every Monday and have had zero issues.

DT doesn’t sequence anything for me live right now. OT is the time keeper and DT slaves to it (and the whole set up) just fine and dandy!

2 Likes

Got mine off the first batch on June 1st. It was noticably buggy but by 1.02 a lot of it were squished and began to tighten. Now I’m on 1.04 the bugs are minor and can live with them like shy ghosts. But I do not use MIDI, I use it as a sampling beat production unit and nothing more. So if you looking to use the Digitakt in its lone state of sampling and beatmaking, its almost rock solid. Still needs work but for all it does now is really heavy.

As for the buttons, I find you can’t strike them like rubber pads where your finger strikes at any angle. With these, you have to directly strike down for best results. Striking the button at an angle will sometimes jam them like the issues some people have. I’m usually hunched over like a mad scientist over the Digi is my workaround😸

1 Like