Digitakt, recorded MIDI notes are being transposed up

Hi,
This is my first post here so hello everyone. I did make an honest attempt in searching for a solution to this before posting. I have run into an issue I can’t seem to sort out. While live recording MIDI notes using either the Digitakts chromatic keyboard or and external controller, as I’m playing the notes in I can hear them sound at the correct pitch. When the pattern loops back and the notes that I just recorded play, they play back in a higher octave than what I heard while entering the notes. This occurs while controlling an iPad soft synth and while controlling the 0-coast. While controlling tha Mutable Shruthi-1 however, the recorded notes play back in the same octave that I recorded them in. I mist be missing something. It seems as though the Digitakt is sending the correct pitch information while playing the keyboard, bit then transposes up the notes during recording for some reason. Have any of you run into this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Just in case this comes up for anyone else new to the Digitakt. The issue was resolved by setting the MIDI root note on the Digitakt Trig page to C5. The recorded MIDI now plays back at the same pitch as I played in.

2 Likes

Hey there
I have variation on this issue.
Working with Cubase 10 pro and Digitakt I find the midi events being recorded are transposed 2 octaves down.
the problem is that if I transpose the midi root note up 2 octaves I still have 2 sounds coming out - a high pitched version coming from the DT, and the midi recorded on with the intended pitch…

Are you sure it isn’t just an issue how the octaves are named? Different vendors use different octave naming schemes. So C5 in Cubase isn’t necessarily named C5 in the Digitakt, but may vary one or two octaves up or down.

Some more details:

Thanks. So basically it’s a mess…
So how does one go about fixing this issue?

You need just be aware of the fact that the naming itself isn’t common across your devices. And, of course, just don’t force a transposition which isn’t necessary in the first place.

1 Like