Digitakt PSU replacement

Hi, hope you can help.

I was wondering if I could replace the existing Elektron PSU with a more compact one, for example i’ve come across this on taobao, the chinese equivalent to Amazon…

I’m not really up on my electronics,so I’m hoping some kind soul can just have a quick look and give some guidance on this.

Thanks

I wouldn’t recommend that. Why not get a shorter power lead for your existing PSU instead?

1 Like

Yes, I would not do this if I were you. Too risky.

Can you please elaborate the risk part for me, I cant see why?

Sure. The risk is the distortion in the power bus. Switching PSU is generally not the cleanest power source and I would stick to the original that is guaranteed to be working well.

@t3h what if you need to replace the original, would you buy it again from the Elektron store? That would probably put me out of pocket by $100usd (including import tax // delivery).

I know there are risks but i’m asking if this particular PSU would work?

Ideally i would like to find a portable battery to use instead of a wall wort. Those recommended on the forum threads aren’t easily available in china.

According to the labelling, that power supply should work.

However, it’s lacking both the CE and UL Listed mark which means it was neither tested nor approved for sale and use in the European market and also not for sale and use in the USA and Canadian markets.

This basically means that there’s no way for you to know that this device does what the labelling says and there’s also no guarantee that it’s built according to the appropriate safety standards.

Even when a power supply you order directly from China does carry these marks, there’s no guarantee that the device actually conforms to the standards required for those marks.

Mains power is not something to dick around with. A badly designed or built power supply is a fire hazard and you really don’t want to risk a defect inside the power supply causing your Digitakt to suddenly receive mains power.

EDIT: This is the reason why so few devices use internal power supplies these days. As a synth manufacturer it’s much easier to order a good PSU from a respected Chinese manufacturer that has already gone through the required certification processes than it is to build a PSU into your device and then have to get your whole device tested and certified for sale.

2 Likes

well, I do live in china. the store i have found this in is well recommended.

1 Like

I‘ve used several different power supplies on my Volcas or on some effect units, as long as the voltage is the same, the polarity is correct and the amps are sufficient the thing is mostly gonna work. Even soldered my own cables to reverse polarity if needed.
Granted, all the safety concerns from previous posters are all valid and should be taken into account! I‘d much rather toy around with the power going into a cheap effect unit, than a Digitakt. :innocent:

2 Likes

You’re in a much better position than I to make a risk assessment in this regard, then. :slight_smile:

What Lauli said!!!

Match or increase the the amperage of the Elektron Transformer. But not the Voltage.

The device will only draw what it needs.

If the power tranaformer supplies more than required. No problem the DT will just draw what is required…

If the power supply is not enough and you are starving the DT…no problem, it will draw what it needs and the week point in the circuit will be the under specd transformer. It will fail like an expensive fuse, not the DT…

Again as long as polarity is correct, the plug is correct. The voltage is correct, the amp out put is matched or greater, and you know the difference between ac and dc you will be fine.

I run a production company and therefore
I have replaced many transformers over the years, for many bits of kit far more hexy than a DT…

3 Likes

@Adam9 @Lauli thanks very much. I appreciate and understand there are risks.

Thanks for the info.

How tight is space where you live that you need to change psu ?

It’s not just the space. i’m constantly moving and reaching down behind the desk to unplug and reconnect. also, the cord between the psu and wall socket uses a plug that is becoming more difficult to use here in china.

The newer wall sockets (and quality extension cables) require either the straight 2 prongs (top) or the 3 prongs (bottom). My device shipped to fit the bottom, but only has the 2 angled prongs. I’m finding the newer sockets won’t accept the 2 angled prongs on there own because the 3 prong is missing.

I’m not sure that answers your question. I’m just looking for something that will reduce the amount of stuff i have to carry around and through airports/train stations. With an updated power pack i can just plug in and go, unplug when i leave.

The PSU in the original post would help a lot and i could plug this into the power extension on my desktop. Saving me from moving the desk, just so i can get to the plug socket.

The specs look good. It should work. I use 3rd party replacement PSUs as well (doubled all cable and power at home and in the band room). I’ve seen most PSUs kill themselves rather than connected devices so far. The other one I use at the Digitakt is actually one of those and I repaired it myself.

1 Like

I use an extension lead onto the surface of my desk , much easier to reach each plug that way.
Also labels on each plug is one if the best things in the world !.

This could end up cheaper / more flixible than buying a psu.
Either way these things are quite cheap.

this is just me but probably yes. If this wont be possible I would find the PSU that I’m sure works well with high quality audio equipment.
BTW if it is actually a battery you are looking for you can try to find a 12V Li-pol battery brick they use for model cars and drones. I have this, bought from China, where all the batteries are today made in:

thanks, for the input. i’ve got some more info on the portable battery. Found a brand name here that has been recommended by other dt users. it’s Romoss. it’s great, and meets the requirements for international travel usage.

1 Like

great, good luck. Digitakting away in nature is a lot of fun, I’m enjoying this a lot.

you can later share your experiences
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/digitakt-external-battery-power-pack-options