Digitakt > prog change > Digitone?

Hi All,

I have just acquired a DN to accompany my DT. What I want to do is feed prog change from DT to DN, and vice versa (ideally). I’d be happy with just DT feeding prog changes though.

I have a setup where both are going into a mixer. (so they are not directly linked midi in mid out / midi in / midi out).

This is a surprise to me, but if I pattern change say A01, A02 and A03 on the DT, the DN follows suit!

This is frustrating because I might want DN stuck on A01, while DT goes through A01, A02, A03 etc.

I have setup all parameters: both DT and DN on auto ch. (10), send and receive notes, send and receive prog changes on auto channel.

If I go to the midi page on the DT and manually cycle through program change numbers on ch. 10, I can literally see the pattern changes on the DN switching in-line with how I move the knob. However, if I programme the following chain:

DT: A01 (with prog change to DN A06), A02 (with program change to DN A09), A03 (with program change to DN A14)… then what happens is that the DN just follows A01, A02, A03…, and NOT A06, A03, A14!

What on earth is going on here guys?!

FYI - if needed - setup as follows:

Keystep Out > Digitakt Midi In
Digitakt Midi Out > Digitone Midi in
Digitone Midi Thru > TX812 IN
TX812 Thru > Bass Station In
Bass Station Thru > Keystep In

thanks! :smile:

You have activated PROG CH SEND in the SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > SYNC menu, which causes the DT to send Program Change messages every time the pattern changes.

You should deactivate it. Then the only Program Change messages sent from the DT will be those that you have programmed into the DT’s MIDI sequencer pages.

aahahhhha! thanks @PeterHanes.

So should I turn off prog send and receive on the DN? Or leave it on?

You should disactivate PROG CH SEND on the DN and keep the DT as the ‘master’, at least until you are sure that you know what is going on.

You need to keep PROG CH RECEIVE activated on the DN so that it receives the PC messages from the DT.

yeah, I tried it all and no dice. I can still move the prog ch. knob and see the pattern selected move manually. But if setup the midi page and programme change as follows:

DT: pattern A01, prog. ch. 1 (=DN A01)
DT: pattern A02, prog ch.1 (=DN A02)

Chain: A01 + A02

The DT shifts to A02, but the DT remains on A01!

I also tried trigless locks on A01 to force a shift in another way, but no luck.

I have disabled prog. ch. send on DN like you said.Prog Ch receive is activated on the DN. It works because I can see the DN pattern selection moving when I manually move the knob!

ok, I have an update:

if you want to pattern chain on the Digitakt, and have the DN follow prog ch. you have to set the prog ch. channel on the midi page of the DT, AND ALSO do a trigless trig of the same channel.

Seems silly in my opinion. Why not just set the pattern prog ch. number on the midi page and be done?

Anyway, another issue now: when it starts the DT and DN don’t follow the A01>A02> (cycle).

Instead, I get A01>A01>A02 (then cycle!)… sometimes even I get 4 x A01, then A02, THEN cycle?!

gotta be a bug, right?

Quite likely not a bug, but something that takes a little more understanding to resolve.

What setup are you now using? It helps if you can distinguish between the settings you have made in the SETTINGS menus and those that you have made in the MIDI sequencer tracks of the DT. You should also report what settings you have in the SCALE menu for the patterns on both instruments, especially if the patterns are running in LENGTH PER TRACK mode.

If you provide clearly as much detail as possible, I’m sure that we can sort it out.

Hi PeterHanes,

Looks very much like a bug actually. The repeat on the first pattern (twice, three, sometimes 4 times) happens quite a lot for those fiddling with prog. ch. It’s been reported in the bug notification thread a couple of times.

In general, I’ll probably go back to linking the two devices so that change on pattern 1 to 2 on the Digitakt, equates automatically to pattern 1 to 2 on the DN. I’ll just have to work around that…

…probably better off anyway as there is less trigless trigs, and stuff to go wrong.