Digitakt price drop

Not sure how it is supply and demand since Elektron haven’t shipped a unit from their site in a long time (they’ve been Out of Stock for more than two months), during which time they raised their price $50.

More Excruciating and Useless Detail

Elektron were clearly behind on demand for a while during their vacation months, hence the Digitakt was hard to find, but that seems to be abating. They also seem to have decided (at least for the time being) to sell exclusively through their retail distributors. There is a balance a medium sized company needs to maintain, between selling direct, and through their retailers, they don’t want to compete with their largest individual customers, their retailers to whom they sell at a discount. Hence there is usually a slightly higher price (like $20-$30 for the Digitakt) for buying direct from Elektron.

Perhaps jefones is correct that the price rise on their web-site, is clearing the way to raise prices as they clear units through the supply channel, i notice a number of online retailers here in the U.S. have raised their prices $30 in the past few days. Perhaps this is just due to changes in the exchange rates – if prices are falling in Europe or elsewhere.

It’s also possible that parts costs have changed, for instance the Hitachi part for the plus drive which potentially faces supply problems.

Who knows, time will tell. It looks to me like maybe the small price bump will stick.

I follow this because a second Digitakt is on my buy list – and i prefer to buy direct from Elektron.

1 Like

How on Earth did you make that drop down option?! :open_mouth:

2 Likes
The Secret

Use the Digitakt Settings menu drop down (the gear thingy) on right of the icon bar above where you type in the text.

I learned it from William_WiLD – thank you WW!

3 Likes
thanks jukka

sweeeeet >:)

2 Likes

some economy:
if there is a lack of Digitakts

then it is possible for the stores to ask as much as possible,
which is the Elektron Web Shop Price
This is especially possible, because elektron spreads the few digitakts they have…
The stores know they are going to sell all, so ask the highest possible price.

once the Digitakts are in stock in every music store
they lower their price, and make less money with a machine
usually the same ‘more agressive’ store decides the lowest price
since it is easy to switch from one store to the other (internet)
everyone copies the price.

1 Like

i think that part of the lack of units through the website is more a sign of the amount of orders that happened through third party retailers (i.e. sweetwater, guitar center, perfect circuit audio in the US). When i was awaiting my Digitakt in june/july the sweetwater representative explained that 200 units were coming in and that may not even fulfill the amount of orders they had. Now, this was june/july and for all we know there hasn’t been another production run cause of the release of the mk2s.
also from what ive heard elektron tends to fulfill retailers orders before direct orders.
The jump in price ive seen at US retailers has been from 649 to the originally listed retail price on the elektron site of 679, so they are still lower than the elektron list price.
Honestly i was hoping the price bump meant the inclusion of overbridge premium in the box for later adopters.

1 Like
Whoa! This is awesome!

This is going to be SO USEFUL when I feel like digressing off-topic of the thread! On behalf of myself and the mods: Thank you! <3

Digitakt price drop

I dropped mine, I’ll sell it at half price! :joy:

2 Likes
Summary
Summary
Summary
Summary
Summary
Summary

COOL!

11 Likes

$679 seems to be the status quo here in the US now. Mine is finally shipping out today after a 2.5 week wait and fortunately I made the order at $649 before the increase so I was locked in. It was starting to drive me a little crazy constantly checking my email for shipping confirmation but in 4-5 business days it will be mine! :smiley:

1 Like

In the US, dealers/retailers must adhere to Minimum Advertised Price or MAP. It seems Elektron has raised MAP on the Digitakt. You can tell because online retailers all have it at exactly $679. If MAP was less, you would see it at varying lower prices.

Signed,
Former musical instrument retail buyer :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Here in Italy, today, a shop dropped the digitakt to 620 euro.

I don’t reeeaally know why you’re all stewing over this in excruciating detail and with so much guessing and assumed logic. I feel like some people are upset that the price has dropped very slightly even though they bought a brand new machine? Did you not want it? This always happens and you know it. Either you’re all being weird or im losing it, im open to either or both being the case tbh

2 Likes

The second hand market for music gear is frustrating sometimes…

I see people try to sell used gear (with a few months of good use) for almost full price.

Basically, people are annoyed because they don’t get to use the second hand market as a lending library and actually have to pay for the goods they use…

4 Likes

In some states here in the USA there’s consumer laws if you purchase within 14 days of a price drop you’re entitled to a refund of the $$$. Even Apple does this!

Yeah these were my thoughts exactly. People don’t expect to pay for the use they actually get out of this stuff. You cant have brand new gear and expect its value to rise like its 20 years old

3 Likes

There is a big chance you will get mine :joy:

And i can tell you the condition is not good! sticky buttons!!!

Well, I received it yesterday, it’s in pristine condition and the buttons feel snappy for me, so it seems I didn’t get yours (luckily! :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

Enjoy

1 Like

Congrats, meanwhile i got my second and new one.
after the price drop i‘ve safed some cash …

This model came already updated to 1.04 showing a little b in the left bottom corner.
let‘s see if the buttons will get sticky a bit later this time :smiley:

1 Like