Digitakt: Post-Rock meets Jazz-Fusion

I wrote and arranged this post-rock jazz-fusion tune in the DT to find out if it’s workflow fit my style of composition! Everything you are hearing was made in the digitakt and “chained” together to make this song. The improvised solo was sampled and then spliced/reversed to experiment with sample mangaling, the guitar melodies were sampled, and the Minilogue was sampled for the pads. Drums and bass were done using samples that came stock with the DT.

The DT has changed my studio and creative process completely. I have been using it and the DN for a vocal dream pop record, as well as some 80s Ah-ha meets dance music and I have yet to go back to my previous DAW only setup. Looking forward to sharing more music with this forum! I am on here almost daily picking up new tips and tricks from all of the masters!

Thanks for listening :ghost:

18 Likes

Woah!
That is really quite good. What a great, unique approach. I love the different feel in the drums and the whole track has a nice Tortoise-y vibe. Super good!

1 Like

Really nice - can’t wait to hear more!

1 Like

Thanks so much! I primarily play guitar in Modern-jazz, fusion and indie rock bands, and the Digitakt really works for the stuff I am into!

I had never heard of Tortoise-y but I spent the last hour listening to OTROS… and they definitely have a new fan!

Check out: BEAT MUSIC! BEAT MUSIC! BEAT MUSIC! - Mark Gulianna. Or any of their records for that matter! They all slap!

Cheers :slight_smile:

Thank you! :canada:

You should check out some Tortoise! And yes… Mark Guiliana is outrageous, I’m a fellow drummer and he is pretty bonkers

1 Like

Oh yeah! You know what’s up! Scariest drumming I have ever seen live. Wish more artists like him came to my side of town haha. Thanks for the recommendation and kind words :call_me_hand:

Nice track and interesting use of the DT. Hadn’t thought it would be a good fit with this style. As others have said definitely check out Tortoise. Amazing music. Lots to listen to.

Try
TNT/Ten Day Interval

or Standards/Eden 2

though in all fairness I think their music works best if the entire album is listened to straight through - not that anyone does that anymore…

3 Likes

That’s really nice! Love your approach on these two boxes, will stay tuned for more! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! It seems to shine in what ever genre I am placing it into. It’s nice to step out of the DAW for a while.

I feel like I was living under a rock! This band has been around since 1990 and is an obvious influence to to many of the artists I am into!

Listening to a record front to back is cathartic. I’ll tune back in with my favs.

Cheers, Miles! This tune is strictly on the DT, but I am excited to get more stuff out there with the DN.

Welcome to the forum. Your YouTube channel has some wicked music on it! You’ve really got a handle on the DN.

1 Like

Thanks man, happy to hear that you like my stuff! Good to know that this was only DT, maybe I’ll get one myself one day and try the fabolous DT+DN combo :smiley:
Subscribed and looking forward to more jams - cheers!

2 Likes

Thinking more about Tortoise and how you’ve worked with the DT, reminded me of this article:

which looks at how the band embraced digital methods alongside thieir collaborative playing approaches to building a track. Doubtless there are other articles/interviews online which explore this working method with other Tortoise band members. In a sense all this seems irrelevant now, given everyone works with digital one way another, but I think it points to what made their compositions sound so striking and fresh at the time.

2 Likes

I love this! Their musical philosophy is right up my alley.

Bands like Tortoise, Radio Head, Weather Report, Miles Electric Band, JDilla, Beat Music… they all shared a piece of the acoustic-digital puzzle that got us to where we are today. History and absorbing our auditory history is one of the strongest forms of creative advancement. At least I think so.

If there are any artists you think paved the way along side bands like Tortoise, please pop them in here :slight_smile:

check out Thrill Jockey records. especially any band from Chicago on there circa 2000 or so. Chicago Underground Duo, Isotope 217, Rob Mazurek, Euphone, HIM, …

since you play guitar you may specifically want to check out this man: https://www.discogs.com/artist/44570-Jeff-Parker

anyway, great tracks! keep it up! and welcome aboard!

3 Likes

Love Jeff Parker! Thanks for the suggestions.
Cheers! I’m looking forward to contributing more on this great forum. :otter:

Much more Tortoise discussion:

4 Likes

Thanks for the link, PeterHanes!