digitakt-- please explain colors on the sequences, very confusing, too much to look at...

Digitone has 4 tracks, but up to 8 voices which you can spread along those 4 tracks.
Advantage is: Both together are quite complete. See the digitakt/digitone only music thread to get an idea: Digitone (DN+DT) only music

2 Likes

Thanks Gek, appreciate it.

1 Like

Major Props and Congrats to Elektron Company. The Digitakt is Impressive, Devastating. You are on the edge of what’s happening in music. And the functions are well designed, complete, well-thought out with the user in mind, like a chess game one step ahead of the user. With enough complexity to want to keep the device, and explore it more, and not get tired of it or bored.

I have never used the Octatrack, Analog 4, I can imagine those boxes are similar in overall concept and design.

2 Likes

Really happy to read that you got around to using & loving that box. It really is fantastic, and I feel the DT and DN are a step above the rest in terms of user friendliness.

The OT and A4 you mentioned are also fantastic, the A4 has become my favourite synth and the OT offers so much, it‘s sometimes hard to choose a place for it (it can do many things well) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just bought a used Analog Four Mk 1 today, looking forward to learning it, then hope to use it with Digitakt and my modular. If I like it enough maybe I’ll update to the Mk2 at some point.

1 Like

Congratulations!!! The A4 is fantastic, Mk1 included (that’s what I have :)).

Just remember to be patient with it! When I first got mine, I thought it sounded mediocre at best, but stuck to it…eventually I discovered that it had been me, not the synth lol. The A4 is so versatile and has such a gorgeous sound once you get into it. It’s my favourite synth now, and once you get used to the interface/workflow, it is fast and enjoyable to use.

A few tips to start you off:

• start with one oscillator and turn its volume down (so not to max), maybe even to halfway then go sculpt your sound from there

• Overdrive can really highlight the bass frequencies if you balance it with tip 1

• The magic is in the detail with the A4…a new sound can emerge behind each turn of a knob…so do take your time to discover the spaces between the turns…what I mean is, eg the cutoff on eg a filter can produce totally different harmonics on “39” than on “41”…and even within a single rotation, there can be different sounds to discover

• use the second filter in -24db LP mode if you want a nice, typical LP filter

• use the second filter set to pk filter and sweep the frequencies of your sound…you will be surprised how the sound changes if you focus the peak filter onto particular frequencies. Turn up the resonance to increase the effect

• use LFOs to introduce life & movement to your sounds…the LFOs in the A4 can be routed pretty much anywhere, so options are manifold

• I love using my A4 in poly mode…osc 1 set to pulse, a slow attack, some reverb, some delay, a touch of chorus, some overdrive, a filter envelope on filter 1, a slow LFO on filter two set to peak and voila, you can play chords that fly you through the galaxy in your musical spaceship :slight_smile:

just a few pointers from the top of my head, if you look around on here, you should be able to find loads of great tips on getting the most out of the A4, its sequencer, its arp…

4 Likes

This has veered well off-topic. Let’s not take it any further away. :thup:

1 Like

Much appreciated…Thanks for all the tips. Sounds good to me. :grin: