Digitakt - panning L/R for 2 outputs?

Hi, I’m new to the forum and considering buying a Digitakt as my first proper hardware sampling drum machine.

I’d like to run one output directly to the mixer (for kicks or subs) and the other to a filterbank (Sherman) for use jamming and live. Is it possible to hard pan samples left/right and effectively get two audio outputs in this way?

At the moment lack of separate outs is the only issue I foresee.

Thanks in advance for any/all help. Peace! Joe.

You got it! (though, FX are stereo, so you might want to avoid that)

1 Like

Amazing Ryan … and the answer I was hoping for.

Is it possible to assign (fix?) that panning behaviour to the samples themselves? I guess that would be the way?

Thanks again.

The digitakt views all samples as mono. it sums stereo inputs as well. So, no fixing that to sample behavior. The per-track panning information is stored in the pattern. I’d recommend applying the proper panning to the track when you place your sample.

1 Like

Excellent. Thank you.

1 Like

You can also p-lock panning

1 Like

So to get 2 outputs there’s no way to use the effects huh?

Like with AR mk2 can you then choose which tracks goes to the master outs, so you could process those with hardware and use overbridge for the other tracks?

…hmm…ob gives u 8 mono sample tracks and one stereo track for the internal fx engine, which is the ONLY stereo thing in the whole machine…

Yes.

1 Like

That’s okay, I know. Haven’t decided yet how to route. But I do a lot of dub mixing for my productions. It’s quite important to me. I already have an OT. What I’m going to use the DT for is mainly simple sounds that don’t really need much processing, like kick drum, bass, simple clap, simple snare, simple hat and maybe even a couple of sounds that don’t make the cut on OT (Note: I don’t always use that many different drum sounds in a track. I also have a DFAM and Mono Lancet that will sometimes do perc and bass duties). If I need a more complex perc or hat sound that needs a certain kind of processing, It’d be nice to use the Digitakts main outs for that, so that I can use the OT for something else and keep drums in DT. When it becomes time to record I would start the computer and Ableton. Would use my Novation Launch Control XL to dub mix those Digitakt sounds and just add a bit of reverb here and there in the daw.
I can still record the panning on each track with overbridge like they’re stereo tracks right?

Edit:
Oh, I can see that you mention them as being mono. Does the panning really go to the master track? Aarh of course it does. It’s like on an analogue mixer where you can only hear the panning of the mono tracks through the mains or the stereo subs
Well, in any case I can live with panning at the recording stage.

Just got a DT (again) today, and just realised that I can’t monitor the other tracks that are not routed to the outs through the headphone outs. Somehow I thought that all tracks are initially not routed to the mains, but of course they are, else I wouldn’t be able to hear them through the headphones, which is just another main output. Frustrating. Now I feel like I have to limit myself even more to make things work out. Bwaaahh, hardware routing is frustrating.