Digitakt + Overbridge + Ableton >> Digitakt MIDI tracks have delay in Ableton

Hi All,

There might be related topics to this issue but either old or not really exactly the same issue as far as I understood so here is the pitch:

I’m using a very simple set-up here:

• One Digitakt > Plugged to my computer via USB and Overbridge
  • An ableton project with:
  • 8 audio tracks with Each 8 tracks of the digitakt being recorded individually.
  • a few Midi tracks recording MIDI signal from the midi channels of the Digitakt with VSTS on it (Omnisphere, Nexus… ALL LEGIT :slight_smile: )
  • The computer with Direct X drivers, no external soundcard, audio sent out from computer straight into mixer, then PA.

So basically, my drums and samples are audio recorded from the Digitakt through Overbridge with separate tracks.

My synths are all VSTS inside Ableton, played via MIDI from the Digitakt midi tracks, being sent from the Digitakt through Overbridge (as far as I understood).

Audio in Ableton is Direct X Audio from my computer, simply plugged to a mixer and PA via the audio output.

The problem is I have quite a delay on most of my recorded midi tracks, the recorded MIDI signal from Digitakt is quite Off making my VST Synth play off in the audio coming out from the computer.

I don’t think driver compensation is doing anything.

I do have delay compensation and reduced latency when monitoring activated:

But maybe there is something wrong in the way my Digitakt is set up, or maybe my Ableton. Maybe there is a loop that I don’t get.

Anyone who has a clue where I should start or maybe the way I’m using overbridge is wrong ? Why has the MIDI so much more latency than the rest of the audio from the Digitakt ? Is there something to parameter within the Digitakt or within Ableton to get that more in line ?

To clarify my main goal with this setup: Being able to record audio and midi from the Digitakt, with no (or very few) latency (and at least no latency between audio and midi) as I’m using the Digitakt live to tweaks most things. I would also like to be able to perform live using the Digitakt as the main tool via Overbridge but still allowing me to add some VSTS and eventual effects on the master via Ableton, without taking too much risks delaywise and finally needing only a Digitakt and my computer as hardware.

What’s the best way to achieve that ?

Am i doing something wrong ? Maybe there is a better way to record those midi tracks ?

Don’t hesitate to point me to other topics of this Forum I might have missed if you think that can help.

Thanks in advance for your help on this !

Marec

Do you sync Digitakt and Ableton with Overbridge “sync+clock” ?

Overbridge manual says :

When sequencer sync is enabled on an Overbridge plugin, the device does not accept any
other sync signals. That means MIDI sync and USB-MIDI sync is ignored. If sequencer sync
is disabled, however, you are allowed to synchronize the device with both internal clock or
MIDI/USB-MIDI. Note, however, that the latency compensation may cause the sequencer
to run out-of-sync if the Overbridge sequencer sync is not used.

I have a couple of questions:

Are you running Overbridge stand-alone, or with the Digitakt VST in Ableton?

Curious why you’re not using your Digitakt as your audio interface, and are relying on your sound card instead? The DT is very capable as an audio interface, and will perform much better from a latency perspective. You can run the outs from your DT to your mixer, and monitor both your DT and VSTs that way.

The Asio audio-out drops out on Digitakt/tone when using USB-MIDI, so I can understand the use of another audio interface

That’s interesting that you’ve had issues with them…I have never had that problem when using my DT as an interface. I am running on a pretty basic PC from 2015, Ableton 10, and have used my DT extensively as a 2-in audio interface while running and monitoring VSTs, all good.

edit: The main reason I suggested it to the OP was because they aren’t using any interface currently, just the sound card from their PC…

While using midi tracks to sequence notes and knobs on ableton ? I tried with 3 different computers and it’s always the same for me : the Asio audio-out drops out randomly. The Overbridge manuals also says something like : “deactivate all usb-midi in and out on Ableton from your Overbridge devices” so I guess there is a bandwith limitation or something but for some reason you succeed at avoiding it

Huh, that sucks…yeah I do all kinds of plocking on mapped MIDI CCs as well. I wonder if somehow you’re getting a MIDI feedback loop? I have seen others here who didn’t prevent MIDI from coming back to their DT and it messed things up for them.

edit: Rather, I just make sure that the only channel my DT receives is the autochannel:

And here’s my MIDI in Ableton:

Just spun this up super quickly…you don’t even need to use OB at all really, if you aren’t concerned about only getting the DT’s main outs. My MIDI Track A on the DT is set to Channel 1, as is the Stage 73 VST.

The various DT settings:

• In MIDI channels, I turn all Track channels off, have AUTOCHANNEL set to 10
  • In SYSTEM->USB CONFIG I have OVERBRIDGE selected
  • In AUDIO ROUTING I have INT TO MAIN turned off (otherwise, it will double back the DTs sounds) and I also up the USB TO MAIN [db] by 12, since the DT gain is a bit attenuated going into Ableton.

That’s pretty much it…it just works for me. Hopefully this might help you out?

1 Like

I dont think its a feedback loop… but you just made me want to try again because you never had the issue. Would you care to provide some ableton midi settings and routing screenshot so I can try with your settings ?

I am not the only one, others also share some issues here : Digitone over Overbridge disconnect - #57 by jimbob

1 Like

Thanks for this, I will keep this for future testings, maybe it’s all about the sync that HAS to be with the plugin. I just asked to Elektron support to give some insight about why they ask to deactivate midi (in the OB manual), maybe we’ll get some interesting answer.

1 Like

Sorry Marec to hijack your thread !

1 Like

And yes, this setup here may be more stable, not using OB at all, just the DT as the interface. Although I frequently use OB as well to get individual tracks for effects and processing in Ableton.

I have had some sync issues with OB and my DT after updating to 1.30…but seem to have sorted those out as well.

edit: hopefully those settings help @Marec out as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same problem with both the Digitakt and my Novation SL Mk 3 Sequencer.

Set a negative delay on your midi out port for the Digitakt, in Ableton preferences.