Digitakt - OB 2.0 Beta - FL Studio 20.1.1 Build 795

This is good to know…

Its not a “driver” but a set up configuration of the devices midi map…but a great idea !!!..i have to set my yamaha n12 transport up as a makie big knob for the same reason.

I have been struggling with the loop back of midi with the DT aswel…im going to give this a go and report back…great find.

Hi Everyone,

I did some testing for another thread, and wanted to share what I found:

In my setup FL Studio works best if you DON’T route the channels in the instruments processing tab, but instead only do them as audio inputs in the mixer.

In my case I am using the DT as my audio interface, so maybe that’s part of why this works better so YMMV. Here is what it looks like with the Main, and tracks 1-8 split out. Note that I turn down the audio on the DT instrument track as I found it gets digital artifacts (the “modem” sound).

If I do map the audio with the instrument processing tab, I get these weird audio “modem” sounds and sometimes the first beat is skipped. When I only map with the mixer, I get clean audio, and the first beat is always there.

Anyone else seeing this? Or have different results?

Best regards,

Gino

1 Like

I have never heard this sound? What is your buffer settings and are you tracking from the mixer, driver or hybrid?

Interesting… I’m using mixer tracking, but all 3 settings do the same thing (the modem sound)

I’ve systematically tried every combination of buffer and performance settings for OB. The setting that’s working best is small buffers and high performance. Bigger buffers get me a lot more of the modem sound.

I’ve tried multiple computers, so I assumed others are experiencing the same thing. Now I’m thinking it might be a problem with my DT.

Cpu type ?

The CPU on my new notebook is a i7-6820HQ @ 2.7Ghz

Does it happen if you disable all MIDI in and out like you describe above???

Sorry I missed this message, and I’ll try that tonight.

Edit: I tested turning off USB midi in and out, and it still had the “modem” effect.

1 Like

The latest OB beta helped a lot!

Here is a problem I was having on the old version of OB (v2.0.14)
I didn’t talk about this before up here, but after about 5-10 minutes of using the DT in FLS I would hear an audio glitch, and then I’d have about a half second delay on the audio from my DT. It was super annoying, but I would just work with it. The only way to fix it was to exit FLS, then toggle OB mode off and back on, then restart FLS.

To narrow this down I made a “durability” test where I’d run a loop in FLS and monitor task manager. This made it easy to reliably reproduce the problem. While doing this I saw a popup that an update was available for OB (v2.0.16), and after installing, I could no longer reproduce the problem. I worked for a few hours and didn’t have any delays on audio.

Now onto the next issue…

I still get a short “modem” sound when I press Stop in FLS while the DT is running, and now narrowing that down. Here is how I reproduce the modem sound:

1. Make a simple beat on the DT
  2. Start FL Studio
  3. Add DT VST as a generator (and enable sync clock + transport)
  4. Start the DT playing (not the transport in FLS, press the play button on the DT)
  5. Click on the Stop button a few times in FLS while the DT is playing

I have multiple computers, and this works on all of them to hear that weird modem sound.
Oddly, when I turned off clock receive on the DT midi config, I still get this sound.

Please note that I don’t run the DT like this, it’s just a way to reproduce the weird sound. That sound shows up when you loop record, and sometimes at the start of audio track recording. That’s actually why it’s an issue for me.

Best regards,

Gino

Adding a few more notes to my ongoing quest to get FLS + OB + DT working exactly how I want them.

I started using Total Recall, and now have it in my default template for FLS.
Meaning that when I start FLS, there is already a DT VST, and it has Total Recall with Sync on save enabled.

This seemed a bit crazy at first, but now that I’m used to it, it’s really nice!
When you load an FLS file, you can choose if you want to use the plug-in state (the DAW) or the device state (the DT). I find that I press [YES] or [NO], and even if I forget and load another file, it asks again.

Basically you work on the DT for a bit, tweak some things, then use Ctrl+S to save any changes (if you choose to). You can even use Save As to make a new “project”.

I do miss being able to use [FUNC] + [YES] and [FUNC] + [NO] to quickly save / restore changes, and
that only works for me if I unload the DT VST.

Anyone else using Total Recall with FLS?

Best regards,

Gino

@Gino thanks so much for continuing to add your experiences, tweaks and insights here. We are really compiling some great stuff! I have not used Total Recall but I did see your other thread where you are getting much better performance and stability out of the latest beta. I cant wait to get that loaded and have a go! Are you seeing any better midi performance? If you’re using that functionality?

I’m running a sort of hybrid workflow where the DAW is not really central to the production. Just got a Strymon Timeline and am excited to utilize the looper function on that, get crazy and then record it in as an audio clip. Using midi to control the loop record mode is not solid for me at all so I cant use it. Plan on sending the CC message for Start / Stop / Record / Play from the DT and hoping I can get tight loops. Then arrangement and automation will happen after I’ve got enough material.

1 Like

Thanks!

I can’t say for sure if midi is faster between 14 and 16, but it’s possible.

I’m going to add a post that shows what I ended up with for my midi config in FLS.

FLS is bit odd when it comes to handling midi through it’s VST wrappers. I found that it was easy to get unwanted midi doubling, and cutoffs. The good news is that I ended up with a simple and clean set up.
I’ll post more details on that later… my goal is to share all the midi settings for FLS and DT.

Best regards,

Gino

1 Like

This weekend I used multi-link to map the DT VST to the midi tracks on the DT.

I highly recommend it!

1. Configure Midi-Track A SRC to CH1 (on the physical DT)
  2. Go to the FLT page (again on the physical DT, to see all the midi encoders)
  3. Start multi-link in FL Studio (Ctrl + J)
  4. Tweak the 8 things on the VST that you want on the encoders (for example I did vol, pan, res, freq, br, od, del, rev) - Make sure you are in T1 tab for CH1
  5. Tweak the encoders on the DT in the same order.
  6. If you want to keep the mapping, save the file. You can also use it as a template file

You can do this any and all of the 8 audio tracks, and the cool part is that the mapping works for all midi tracks. For example after doing just CH1, you can then set another midi track to CH1 and the mapping is done. This allows you to quickly map multiple midi LFOs to the same audio track using any of the things you mapped.

Doing this opens up some serious sound mangling, and I was torturing my setup for hours with P-locks + 9 midi LFOs twisting away, and not 1 blip… it was super stable.

I know this is just automation basics, but with the DT it’s special because it’s such a hands-on device.
Taking some time to map the things you want to mess with in real-time, makes a big difference (at least it did for me).

One thing I’ve been doing a lot is using the midi track below the audio track to function as a layer of additional notes. The trigs can p-lock any of the CCs you set up, and you use the mute states to toggle it on and off while performing.

Note that Dave Mech shows this idea in his video, and I just applied it to FL Studio.

One of these days I’ll invest some time to make watchable YouTube videos, as I really like that medium for sharing details on how to set stuff up.

Best regards,

Gino

2 Likes

Hello. I haven’t been using the the VST since May since I didn’t have much free time and I was a bit frustrated with it. I’m going to try and catch up this weekend with the new updates. Thanks for all the content you guys have been sharing!

1 Like

Wow - I just found that with the Overbridge 2.0.17 beta that you can now use [FUNC] + [YES] and [FUNC] + [NO]

That was a big limitation before, as you could NOT do a performance while in your DAW. Now you can sequence the DT (from itself, or the DAW), and perform live with that … mutes, control all, etc.

And then just use [FUNC] + [NO] to go back to the temp state of the pattern.

Best regards,

Gino

2 Likes

Anyone else having problem with sound from the digitakt coming into fl studio after a second or two? The digitakt starts on time but the sound is delayed.

I am not using the digitakt as soundcard. Overbridge is used in the effect section.

Yeh
I add a bar at the beginning of projects for now…I’m not using the DT as a sound card. I have a Yamaha N12 as my sound card, and have 4 Elektron devices using OB

ARMKII
A4MKII
DT
DN

I get no sound for the first half of the first bar in FL, it’s a good point you raise and I can’t believe I just got used to it with a work arround.

We should send tickets so it’s elevated to the right people, and they can look at it when the focus shifts to other DAWS…

Actually…

What do you mean OB is used in the fx section?

It should be added as a channel…not as an fx in the mixer…

Hello
This is how i set it up. I read something about having it in effect section if you wanted to do multitrack recording. Is this wrong? Should i add it as a synth?
It’s in channel 13

Ah!!! You have it set as a channel which is great. FX would mean that you had selected the OB plugin from the mixers as an effect, but this way in the pic is correct.

I have the OB plugin set same as this. And then in the settings of the plugin I have the midi port set to 60 (You can choose any number though) and I have added 16 midi channels all set to port 60 but midi channels set 1 through 16. This allows midi note control over the 8 sample channels and additional 8 midi channels…

You can’t record the to the DT sequencer like this but once you have it set this way successfully let me know…