Digitakt : notes sent to external gear are playing earlier

Ok guys, I now spent like 4 hrs solving this problem. It is possible that I might be going crazy already and really missing something here but ! … Part of my setup is Digitakt which triggers longer samples / loops from Roland SP555 sampler. Never had a problem, using it like this for more over a year now. Internal seq from digitakt was perfectly in sync with samples being triggered to sp555 (loops, oneshots you name it…mostly long pads atmospheres etc) NOW …after 1.20a update and cleaning up the digitakt from all the samples that I had there, when I program a sequence on the digitakt midi track (meaning the step sequence for external gear) the sp555 notes are being played like half a trig right before the internal sequencer (meaing samples from the digi)

Tried everything, the same now even happens with volca, clock is perfectly synced, playing notes chromatically on digitakt also perfectly accurate, but as soon as I play the sequence, the notes for the external gear goes off…it really seems like half a second earlier then the digi

tried to roll back to Digitakt_OS1.11, didn’t help, I’ve tried many times a clean project, with and without midi splitter, different midi cables, different midi channels, …seriously I’m losing it, maybe not enough beer or what… I would really appreciate any insight. Thanks a lot in advance :slight_smile:

Do you have Overbridge running? If so, your buffer might be set too high.

No, usb cable is not even plugged in and Digi is set to usb midi, not overbridge

How to you monitor the different audio signals? Is there anything which may introduce some latency between the different audio signals in your monitoring setup?

I would suggest to simplify your setup for testing and connect the external synth directly to the Digitakt input(s) without any other hardware else involved (+ DIN midi Digitakt -> external synth).

(I guess you have checked for stray microtimings on the MIDI trigs, right?)

1 Like

Happened to me too unfortunately but on overbridge.Everything was fine until one day(perhaps after the update)it started to trigger voices on my Roland as if the grid for midi was early or something.

That happens only on overbridge though,when I use the machines as standalone and record in the Zoom everything is perfectly fine.

One catch for me is that I also changed my audio interface then but if it was latency I could understand it.Its quite the opposite.
I never had issues until that time,recording into OB was smooth and nice.

I never bothered to solve it to be honest,I just record in the SD card now and throw the files into Logic or record into Logic directly with no issues.

Mmmm good point maybe, the sp555 goes alone to the mixer and I monitor Digi through my sound card in the pc, that actually might be the case! I thought that I’ve connected the volca keys to the digitakt as usually but I haven’t for the testing. Thanks I will check it and let you know

Well, there is your additional latency (round trip through the pc) compared to going directly to the mixer.

2 Likes

Omg yes ! Of course !!! you literally saved my sanity ! The stupid edirol ua1ex sound interface was causing a little delay to digitakt, it was never an issue before till I recently reinstalled it’s drivers. Thank you so much ! I feel stupid now. :smile: was too occupied with the midi signal that it absolutely didn’t occur to me to think of audio paths

1 Like

That’s not necessary. It happens to the best of us. I’m glad you solved it with your sanity undamaged.
:slight_smile:

:slight_smile: :smile: thank you so much !