Digitakt not sending bank select (patch works)

By this, do you mean that you change banks on the A4, then via the DT you access the different patches on the DT for it?

It was a long time ago that, but it was regarding when you have the A4 slaved so when you change pattern on the DT the A4 changes pattern with it. It worked fine at the time with the caveat that if you were on bank a-d and wanted to switch to a pattern in banks e-h you would have to manually change the A4’s bank in that instance.

bit of a random post it was, n wasnt exectly to do with the topic.

1 Like

What does this mean in the case of using digitone slaved to digitakt? If the midi bank select message was designed to be used together with the program change message? If I want to change patches on the digitone via the digitakt, and access a patch in another bank, do I just activate that bank on the digitone, and then change the patch via the digitakt?

Both Digitone and Digitakt have only 128 patterns, so the Digitakt can selct the appropriate pattern on the Digitone just by using a MIDI Program Change message. There is no need for a MIDI Bank Select message. Just select whichever pattern you want and (if you have the correct settings on the gear) the appropriate pattern on the Digitone will be selected.

Elektron refers to each set of 16 patterns as a ‘bank’, but that’s not the same as a Bank in MIDI terminology.

1 Like

The AS-1’s MIDI implementation is given on page 28 of the manual (English version). It is very unhelpfully written because the received CC messages are given in binary numbers. However, it shows that the AS-1, like the DSI/Sequential synths, implements Bank Select using MIDI CC 32 messages. Therefore the Digitakt’s Bank Select feature is useless in this case.

It will be possible to select a Program in a different bank on the AS-1 by sending a CC 32 message (with a value in the range from 0 to 5) immediately before a Program Change message.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply, I’m new to this and so it’s hard to trouble shoot things at times

So I would never change the sound on the digitone via the digitone itself, always via the midi in digitakt?

Also, should I be sequencing digitone parts on the digitone? I have been sequencing the digitone via the digitakt’s sequencer and now I’m a little confused if that’s the right way?

You can do whatever you want. It’s up to you to try things out and see what works best for you.

If you have a specific arrangement in mind where you want to the Digitakt and Digitone to work together, you can set up the Digitakt to control which pattern the Digitone plays. But if you want more flexibility, it’s perfectly OK to change the pattern on the Digitone manually.

Similarly with sequencing, if you want Digitakt to do all the sequencing then it can. However, you may find more flexibility if you program the Digitone’s patterns in its own sequencer and then synchronize the two sequencers using MIDI.

1 Like

I’ve just been playing around with this with my Proteus 2000. If you p-lock Bank, Prog Change and an assigned cc32 value it will change banks correctly 99% of the time. I’m actually amazed how well the E-Mu responds to program changes per step, easy to come up with interesting sequences by recording the prog change and LSB value, unfortunately the LFO assigned to cc32 doesn’t seem to do anything though and it can’t be assigned to Program Change.

Elektron should rename bank to MSB and add LSB next to it, there is room. It’s ridiculous that something so standard has to be worked around on a Midi Sequencer. Hopefully they will sort it on the OT and DN too some day soon.

For those who are searching specifically for E-Mu Proteus synths, MSB (Bank on the DT) selects the ROM installed, Composer is 4, although you have to add one to it and set BANK to 5. The LSB cc32 then selects 0-7 banks of the Composer ROM. On the Proteus if you click audition it will give you the MSB and LSB numbers of the current bank you are in. The User Banks you can just use LSB (cc32) 0-3. If you want it to reliably change you have to P-lock it especially if using different program changes in different patterns otherwise the LSB will be too late for the program change.

3 Likes

Digitone OS 1.20 introduces a new SBNK parameter on the MIDI source (SYN1) page that sends CC32 messages. Elektron even describes this as a bug fix in the release notes. :content: Can we hope that Elektron provides a similar bug fix for the Digitakt?

4 Likes

Oh damn dude! I would love for the bank select to work the way I feel it should between Digitakt and Peak!!!

1 Like

Having just swapped my DT for a DN, that’s great news :smiley:

1 Like

The CC 32 workaround described above should work for the Peak.

This is great news! Yes I hope they update the Digitone and Octatrack too and soon, the cc32 workaround doesn’t always work reliably even when p-locking, the program change needs to be sent last. I’m using it a lot at the moment, so really hope they updating both the other machines as I Write :slight_smile:

I do have a DN too, I’ll check it out later, but I prefer Midi on the other 2 machines because you can’t access all mutes at the same time on the DN for some bizarre reason. I currently only use my Peak As a result, and use the vca level on the synth to mute it instead. I wish it had the same mute option as DT using the trig keys which is fantastic.

So I’ve just tried out the new LSB setting on the DN and it doesn’t work at all. Even MSB isn’t working anymore, both send 0 regardless of the settings, and this also means that a manual cc32 doesn’t work anymore because it sends an MSB 0 and LSB 0 with every program change whether they’re enabled or not.

Hopefully they’ll fix this very soon and not add it to the Digitakt until it works correctly.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: EM-U Proteus Keys PK6 / Proteus 2000 worth it?

Has anybody managed to successfully use the Digitakt together with a Yamaha AN200 for sending bank and program changes from the Digitakt?

I want to be able to control the following

User Bank (Bank MSB=63, LSB=2, Pgm#1-64)

Is this possible on the Digitakt

AN200 Midi implementation:
1.2.1 Bank Select This message selects the voice bank.

Control# Parameter Data Range
0 Bank Select MSB 0…127
32 Bank Select LSB 0…127
The Bank Select data will be processed only after a Program Change is received,
and then voice bank will change at that time.
If you wish to change the voice bank as well as the voice, you must transmit Bank Select and Program Change messages as a set,
in the following order: Bank Select MSB, LSB, and Program Change.
Thanks

As you can see from the previous posts on the topic, several people have had the same problem.

There is currently a likely workaround. Set the Digitakt to send the following messages with no other MIDI messages inbetween:
CC 0 with value 63 (AN200 Bank Select MSB)
CC 32 with value 2 (AN200 Bank Select LSB)
Program Change with the value you want

Got it to work using the SRC page in the end!

CHAN 1
BANK 64 (not 63 as in the AN200 manual)
PROG 1-x

It’s the DT that’s wrong it starts at 1 instead of zero.

Reading this thread 3 years later. It may be worth sharing that I am able to change banks from the DT on my Novation Peak using the SubBank encoder on the DT. Basically values 1, 2, 3, 4 correspond to banks A, B, C and D, respectively. the Program change encoder chooses the patch.