Digitakt not recording external midi

Hi.
Trying to transfer midi sequences from my Future Retro Orb into the DT by recording in real time.
When I press play on the orb it starts the DT and my synth (mb33) plays the sequence from the orb via the DT’s midi out.
My problem is I can’t get the DT to record the sequence.
I have tried various midi settings but no joy as yet.
Can the DT actually record real time midi from midi in?
Thanks

This should work fine. Is the Digitakt on live record mode? It’ll only record if that’s on. Record + Play.

3 Likes

Hey, can you confirm that you’re holding record and then hitting play on the DT to engage live recording as opposed to tapping record and then tapping play? or that you aren’t just allowing the transport to start and looking for that to record? I don’t think it’s going to work that way if you are, you’re going to manually need to press and hold the record button and then as you press play on the orb also press play (while holding record still) on the digitakt to enter live recording mode, then release all buttons at the same time. It’s going to be a tap dance to do it that way but I’m not aware of another way that will work. Maybe someone else has a trick I’m not aware of.

there may be some way to use pre-roll to make it easier but I’ve never tried.

edit: a post from @sezare56 in another similar thread:

1 Like

Have you enabled Receive Notes in the MIDI Settings?

1 Like

Usually, when I record sequences from other sequencers into the DT, I hold Rec and press Play and I record the sequence twice in case it misses the first Steps. The latest sequence overwrites the previous one.

2 Likes

You have to do it live recording though, correct? I think that’s the hang up here but won’t know until this person says. That’s a good trick though, thanks

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Was not aware of the record & play simultaneously for live recording.
I had been pressing record then starting the orb sequencer.
Problem solved!
Thanks all.

4 Likes