Digitakt N00b - Midi routing Q

Hey Guys

I will soon have a setup of keystep, digitakt with my trusty OP1.

Any setup suggestions? Would need midi chain details with info if merge/thru box needed. I know I need a usb midi host for Op1 though :slight_smile:

Dan

Are you planning to expand your setup? If yes i can highly recommend you a MIDI router - iConnectivity MIO4 or MIO10 or the stuff from MOTU.

Hey!

Do they cover what USB midi hubs and thrus and splitters offer all in one box?

Any thoughts on how to best boost versatility etc with DT, OP1 and KS?

Yes, USB host and MIDI routing + filtering … would only recommend it though if you plan to get more gear in the future.

For an easy start I would recommend to just connect Keystep midi out to Digitakt midi in (auto channel). OP1 audio could be routed (and sampled) to the digitakt. You could use Keysep arp on Digitakt, OP1 has its own keyboard, so you will see, if you really need them midi synced over time… If you have an ipad or iphone you could also connect all 3 via usb midi (camera connection kit + usb hub) to try it out … and if you need midi box, i also recommend MIO4 or 10

2 Likes

Hey thanks also for your input.

I am already potentially up to the price of the MI04 with both the Kenton usb midi host and a quadra thru box … so the MI04 will cover all those 2x boxes functionality all in one?

As Digitakt is the drums in the setup I really want to ensure everything clocks from that and I can play both DT and OP1 from the keystep. To your point on the OP1 keys, I would just rather play it off the keystep when I wish , and of course play the OP1 directly too if I choose.

So with the MI04 what would be the cable setup exactly?

2 MIDI cables from DT to MIO4
1 MIDI or USB cable from KeyStep to MIO4
1 USB cable from OP1 to MIO4

since the MIO4 has only one USB port you would need a USB hub to multiply that port. So better use MIDI for less clutter on your desk until you need it (though … one cable less on the KeyStep if you have a USB hub…)

The rest is done in the App which can be controlled either over network (no Wifi on the MIO4 - so you need a cat5 cable) with a mobile device (tablet / smartphone) or over USB (that‘s what the big USB host ports are for) with your PC.

1 Like

I second what microfx wrote.

for your planned setup you dont need a midi merge/thru box, since digitakt has midi thru and midi out
so a cheap solution for usb-midi-host would be:

keystep midi out > digitakt midi in (normal din midi cable)

you could use auto channel on digitakt, to play whichever track you select on digitakt via keystep

digitakt midi out > usb host din midi in (normal din midi cable)

usb host is connected to OP1 via usb

with this you can send midi cc and notes to op1 and play it from keystep

so you have to choose, if you want to upgrade/expand your setup in the future and buy the MIO4 or a cheaper usb host only :thinking:

(with mio 4 you could also use more than one usb midi device in the future, via powered usb hub, like microfx wrote, plus all the routing/filtering options - on the other hand usb host will be cheaper, smaller, simpler… choices :nerd_face:)

Hey thanks v much both! I think the Mi04 is the way to go as I will want to connect in a vocal processor (thinking Roland VT4) which needs to connect to a synth also for vocoder etc

My bandmate may also be getting the MakeNoise OCoast which we’re excited for too!

Great intro to the Elektron community so thanks again both for the patient and clear advice :slight_smile: Hopefully will get delivery of my Digitakt by this time next week :slight_smile:

Dan

1 Like

Hey guys!

I got all the gear Friday and am testing out today. I got things working with the Mio4 just fine , just one issue. DT is master clock which is what I wanted and the keystep Sequencer/Arp are playing my OP1 , but when they are active they change the bpm of the Op1 …is there anyway to lock the keystep arp/seq to a set bpm controlled via the DT but still send seq/arp info to the OP1? Thanks!

I think if you have the MIO4, there is also a standard din midi out. I think you should be able to run that out and back to the keystep midi in, and set the keystep to receive clock from the DT (you flip the dip switches on the back to the right configuration). You’ll also need to make sure that the DT doesn’t receive clock from the keystep, which you can manage in the midi settings.

If that doesn’t work, you could just have the keystep be your master clock for everything…

OK thanks I will try that! Sorry for late reply too!