Digitakt mod/hack

I’ll just leave this here:

I speculated on doing something else in another thread (Modding/hacking the Digitakt) but ended up doing something else😀

It’s an Axeloti Core board built into the DT.

Merry Christmas

9 Likes

got any recording? looks fascinating!

1 Like

What exactly is happening here?

1 Like

Looks cool, how does this works ?

1 Like

def post some footage please

1 Like

Will post an explanation when I have some more time. For now here is a gut shot of the terrible mess I made and a diagram of sorts.

4 Likes

ha I suggested this on the other thread ages ago. Post vids! super cool to see you went through with it. What have you got it programmed to do?

2 Likes

The suspense is killing me!

2 Likes

I always felt like the DT lacked three basic things for my specific use scenario:

• A battery
  • A footswitch to que the next pattern.
  • An FX track that can be sequenced.

With my mod I now have all those three things😀

The battery mod i found on this very forum - thanks to the original poster.

Once I stumbled on the Axoloti on the internet I knew it was what I needed.

I don’t use the midi tracks for sequencing external gear and always felt like they were a wasted opertunity for my use.

So i programmed the Axeloti so that all the 8 midi track buttons now momentaryly turn on an effect. 3 delays with each their own time setting, a phaser a flanger, a filter etc.

When there is a break in the music, i can fiddle with the midi track buttons and momentaryly turn on the different effects - like on a KaossPad i guess.

As the 8 midi tracks now control each their own effect I can now also sequence master effects from the DT. So i can do FX fills at the end of each bar for example.

I play bass/guitar in a duo with a friend on Fender Rhodes. We use the DT strickly as a drum machine. No samples as I like to use the DT as a drum synth using only single cycle waveforms. As the DT doesn’t have a song mode I need a way to que up the next pattern with my feet as my hands are in use all the time playing my instrument.

4 Likes

It’s so baffling that Elektron did not include a song mode like what you’ve modded in. Such a huge waste of potential for the Digitakt.

1 Like

I know. At least two simple midi commands to que the next and the previous pattern.

The way the patch on the Axoloti work is that it reads and stores the last program change number that the DT sends on midi out. When i press the footswitch it just adds 1 to that and sends it back to the DT.

The people on the Axoloti forum board are very friendly and helpful. Without them I would never have figured out how to do this.

I am just a maniac with a soldering iron😀

2 Likes

I could have bought an octatrack - that would give me the fx track that can be sequenced as well as a song mode.

But still no midi way to que up the next pattern though.

I like not being tied to songmode and being able to switch pattern when I fell like it. If we decide to repeat a section of a song more than usual a song mode would ruin that as the number of repeats are fixed.

Can’t you really do that on the Octatrack though? Change pattern via midi command?

Yes, but only to a specific number. You can’t just go “next pattern” please😀

1 Like

I see. Well, that’s a clever mod and I would probably have kept my Digitakt if it had had that mod done!

1 Like

Crappy shaky video as is tradition :grinning:

6 Likes

Can we have more details about it ? I’m interested but i’m thinking about the way it would fit in my setup since I already use midi and midi out of my digitakt.

1 Like