Digitakt MIDI External Control Questions

A couple questions for you Digitexperts:

1. MIDI Tracks can only be controlled externally from the AUTO CH, is this correct? In other words, if AUTO CH is set to 14, MIDI A set to MIDI CH. 5, set my external synth (with keyboard) also set to receive and transmit on CH. 5, Digitakt will not record notes played from the synth keyboard when in Live Record mode. In order to do that, the synth would need to transmit on CH. 14.

I just want to make sure I’m understanding this correctly. I don’t have my Octatrack anymore but MIDI tracks would also respond to their set MIDI channels, not only the AUTO Channel, I’m surprised it doesn’t work the same way on the Digitakt.

1. Digitakt doesn’t seem to be passing through Pitch Bend/Modwheel data from external MIDI keyboards. Am I missing something? Eg: MIDI Keyboard - > Digi - > Slim Phatty.

Thanks!

2 Likes

had similar confusion today… glad to see you question here too : )

1 Like

From the Octatrack manual:

While in MIDI mode note data and CC values can be recorded in real time to the active MIDI track. Activate LIVE RECORDING mode by pressing [REC] + [PLAY]. For the MIDI track to register incoming MIDI data, the note or CC data needs to be sent either to the auto channel, which is set in the CHANNELS menu, or to the MIDI channel of the active track.

Is there a setting somewhere on the Digitakt to enable note input of the MIDI tracks with their set MIDI channel?

No.

yeah, this is a lil confusing/frustrating because the mm/ot allow set midi channels to receive midi on their respective channels. i hope this is changed in the dt’s future update.

Bumping this, new to digitakt but have used other machines in the past.

Is this possible a year down the track?

I want to control audio track levels/mute/solo per track from an external controller.

Does the active track in digi need to be engaged in order to do this, or can you simultaneously control these aspects regardless of which track is highlighted on digi?

Does this mean I have to burn all 8 midi channels on the digi to externally control all 8 audio tracks?

Or is it possible to control digi audio tracks 1-8 from an external controller [midi1-8] which frees up the 8 midi tracks on digi to control external gear midi [9-16]?

hope this is clear
cheers,
steve

The midi tracks and the audio tracks do not interact with one another. Audio tracks are for internally sequencing samples and midi tracks are for sequencing external gear.

1 Like

can Midi cc be received from daw on midi track?