Digitakt MIDI Channels and Logic X

Hi all. I’ve got a configuration problem that I can not figure out and Apple doesn’t seem to know how to make work either, so I’m hoping someone here can help.

I am running a mostly hardware setup, of which the Digitakt is frequently the brains of. Devices as follows:

Digitakt
Korg Monologue
Neutron
Model D
DeepMind12D
TD-3

Everything is connected via USB using an Overhub. Digitakt is using Overbridge for the sample tracks.

The idea is to have the Digitakt’s sequencer fire all the tracks (both its own sampler tracks and the MIDI channels), have the DAW parse the incoming MIDI information and send it to the appropriate channel, then record the audio inputs tape recorder style. In Ableton, this is quite easy to do.

However, in Logic this is proving impossible. In order to get one of Digitakt’s MIDI channels to work with an instrument, there’s a complex set of requirements that have to be met (so far) which completely negates the whole idea.

here’s an example: Let’s say I want to use the Neutron and the Model D simultaneously. In Logic I create two External Instrument tracks, one for each synth. Neutron I set to MIDI channel 2, audio input 2. Model D set to MIDI channel 3, audio input 3. Digitakt MIDI B is set to Chan 2, MIDI C is set to Chan 3.

Nothing happens.

Now, if I set, say, MIDI B to Chan 1 and Neutron to either MIDI ANY or MIDI 1, and I highlight the track, it will work, but only under those specific circumstances, which makes multi-channeling impossible.

Note that I’m just using the Digitakt as the example here, but this is the same for other sources of input (the Monologue) that I might want to use.

Has anyone made something like this work? Ableton is having problems recording in session view and I would like to have the option of some of Logic’s VSTs and effects to use.

Logic’s MIDI environment works for this. I use a channel splitter in the environment to route the MIDI out to the appropriate synths. the MIDI environment is pretty powerful but not at all user-friendly, probably worth checking out some Youtube tutorials!

Ive been trying desperately to find a Youtube tutorial to do this. If you could link one, or even a help article, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Hmm, not sure, I kind of figured it out as I went. You can access the environment with Window->Open MIDI Environment. Basically you can draw cables between MIDI devices to connect things. You can also add different utilities – there’s a channel splitter that can take the MIDI coming from your DT and split it up into a different output per channel, which you can then connect to your synths . Maybe this tutorial might help? I haven’t read it tho, just googled. I usually end up with an environment that looks like this (screenshot from an old project):

Oh, also, try checking “Auto demix by channel” in Project settings->Recording (if you haven’t already). You might not even need to touch the environment if you have all the channels set correctly.

Yeah, already did the auto demix bit. Tutorial not helpful, but I’m going to try and deconstruct your screenshot now. Thanks.

Can you explain how you have the Digitakt set up in that pic? It looks like an external instrument?

Yep, it is.

Not using Overbridge?

Ah, that project is from before OB was available. I’m not sure it will work the same with the OB plugin. I’m pretty sure I have done a multi-track project with OB though, I’ll take a look.

ok, let me add detail to the problem:

So, near as I can tell, the only channel Logic will accept MIDI info from is channel 1, regardless of what device it’s coming from. I even set up a channel splitter as you’d done in that photo and…just doesn’t seem to matter.

Hmm. Maybe try changing the MIDI channel on each of the instruments to “All” in each External instrument plugin? Also make sure you are arming the record of each of the tracks that you want to record.

Yeah…nothing. i’ve even tried using an External Midi track and then an audio track monitoring the input. Logic is definitely receiving the MIDI signal, because if I hit record you can see it, and its definitely splitting the appropriate Digitakt MIDI track to the appropriate destination. What’s not happening however is that Logic doesn’t seem to bne passing that signal out to the synths.

Hmm. Could it be that the synths are receiving input, and you’re just not hearing them? Have you turned on input monitoring for the synths? It’s definitely possible to do with the DT as an External Instrument, I’m not so sure about the OB plugin as I don’t think I’ve tried using it and mutitracking external gear at the same time with the MIDI routed thru Logic (I have done it with MIDI connected via DIN but that’s obv not helpful here)

Ok I figured it out! Leaving the solution here for future generations:

So the issue is, essentially, dip switches. Hardware synths are set up to receive MIDI on a particular channel (For example: the Korg Volca FM is hardwired to receive on channel 1 only). A lot of synths (my model D, for example) have dip switches that control what channel they will receive from. If that switch has it set to channel 1, it will ignore any channel info that isn’t channel 1 sent at it. Default clearly seems to be channel 1 for everything I own.

So what I was failing to understand is what Logic is doing via the External Instrument plugin vs the Track Inspector settings. So, if Digitakt MIDI B is set to broadcast on MIDI channel 2 and you want your Neutron to get this message, heres how you have to do it. In the Track Inspector (which controls what channel it’s listening to), you set it to MIDI Channel 2. BUT in the External Instrument plugin (which controls broadcast to the synth) you have to set it to MIDI channel 1, as that’s the channel the hardware itself is set to listen to.

EDIT: you also have to have the auto-demix setting turned on AND have all applicable MIDI channels with record turned on.

2 Likes

Glad you got it sorted out. BTW, I’m pretty sure you can change the Volca FM’s channel if you wish.

You can easily change the midi channel the FM recieves on. There a button combo to hold when you turn in the unit, then midi channel is selected by touching the corresponding number step on the sequencer.

It functions this way for all 4 volcas I have (beat, sample, key, fm). Pretty sure it across the the whole line. In my experience not many synths are hardwired to a specific channel.

1 Like

Ah I see. My misunderstanding.