Digitakt livemix demonstration

Hey there,

how do you approach your liveset?
I am interested to see how you play your liveset and what equipment you use!
At the moment the buds@work crew is fiddeling out the best sound. i think it’s important to mix the patterns sound-wise that you don’t have any unpleasant frequencies in the liveset. Because it’s hard to hear on stage, the sound has to be right. We are working on that right now and there is still a lot to be done. :slight_smile:

Here a little example:

how are you guys doing?

3 Likes

Hey ho,

Next step is done! One more Pattern in Livemix! Yes :slight_smile:

enjoy

5 Likes

Hey man, thats a cool sound you got going

You happy with the akai controller? Was considering either that or the LCXL.

2 Likes

Glad you like it. Thanks.

the akai midimix is unbeatable in price. of course you can’t expect very high quality at 99€. I recommend you to use other buttons if you want to buy it, because the potis are very small by default. Also in connection with the Digitakt it is so that most controlls do not use 100% but only 60% of the regular way. If you want to use the midimix without DAW I recommend the adapter from Mode maschines.

Then you don’t have to take the detour via the computer.

And here’s the live mix update!
Enjoy it!

5 Likes

i’m really happy with my LCXL. it’s a solid little box

2 Likes

The LCXL looks good, bigger knobs.
Are you using it with the digitakt?

1 Like

@BudsatWork

i have not used it with the DT… strangely enough. I have a template for the OT, though, and I use it there.

It’s mostly used with my Ableton Set. With Push2 and LCXL I don’t even have to touch my computer.

I was also using it with Axoloti once upon a time, but I haven’t done much with Ax’ in quite some time.

1 Like

Maybe the LCXL is the better choice if you use Ableton and you have better faders and knobs as it looks. But if you are a minimalist I would take the midimix. it’s a hard decision there’s no big difference.

make a choice :yum:

I don’t own launch control xl nor livemix, but tested both in a music store. I preferred LCXL as it felt higher quality, more stable and I preferred its layout/bigger size.

But they are both good quality. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s my setup on my desk, rehearsing for tonight’s session:

The FaderFox UC44 is a great MIDI controller, and runs the rig: Eight of those faders are mapped to the 8 track levels on the DT. Other knobs and faders control various post-device filters and effects (including both EQ and sweep filters, reverb, and delays.) The post effects and all MIDI routing is done by the RaspberryPi (the white box in the top left) in the picture).

My computer is in the image - but not used in the live rig at all.

6 Likes

nice video! digitakt only?

only with the digitakt. as said I have the idea only with the digitakt a liveset to play. I think it will be cool.

@mzero
the midi-controller looks very good and nice setup, my consumer heart beats to 180 :smirk:

2 Likes

what kind of controls do you have on the green buttons? controlls from the digitakt?

Cheers !

Any problems with CC value jumps from pattern to pattern?

Also which level are you controlling with the faders ? (there is : sample level / amplitude vol / track level)

Can you define CC range in the akai editor (besides MIDI channel / CC number) ?

Would you test the DT with the LCXL ? Would be great to hear your feedback.

Apparently the OT can send feedback data to the controller, not sure about the DT.

1 Like

Hey will you be streaming this by any chance?

Main problem with all non-octatrack devices:
If you change the pattern, track volume will jump to the values set in the pattern, not the faders. You would need to move the faders again to get the track volume to the same value as the faders.

All non-octatrack devices don’t send any feedback or have a global track volume (which doesn’t change on pattern change)

1 Like

Not tonight’s session, it’s a more open improv. session I hold in Silicon Valley. (If anyone’s interested in these, I hold them monthly - PM me). The work I do as electric.kitchen, which is often streamed, is on a short break but back again in May.

3 Likes

I know this problem well… I’ve been planning on programming the RaspberryPi to notice the Digitakt pattern change, and then resend all the volume CCs again to work around this.

2 Likes

I already did this, but with a teensy 3.6. :slight_smile: Just make sure to add a small latency of 2-3ms after the pattern change, else the machine isn’t reacting to the track volume cc (or any cc).

1 Like