Digitakt - Limiting?

Is there a YouTube page like cuckoo’s video of digitakt, that you can like study up on the octatrack? It’d be nice to just walk through these videos when i get either machine. Think of it like coursera for elektron

Cuckoos videos on Octatrack? He has some in depth videos including a comparison between the DT and OT

1 Like

Yeah the one LFO sucks. Especially when you do granular stuff.

If you’re looking for depth and a box that keeps on giving new possibilities go for the octatrack. but you do need the time to use it. it’s not instant gratification for quality results. Once you learn it it becomes pretty instantaneous though. Particularly once you learn it well enough to really throw things down. There is simply no other box more capable of live remixing, chopping and mangling and that’s only one function.

If you want a more light hearted approach without the same required commitment DT is the way to go from what I’ve seen. Don’t get me wrong it is just as capable of great results and has its perks that OT doesn’t (listed above by others). It doesn’t lack depth, it’s just OT is super deep

1 Like

btw. where did you see Radiohead using OT or DT?

Took me a few months to get my head around how id approach my workflow with it.

1 Like

DT v OT.

For me the OT is just so much better. The ability to not be limited to 64mb of samples via the compact flash card is a must.

Im also a big fan of sample chains for my drums.(64kicks on 1 slot etc) so I need the extra card space. My workflow is so much better with this approach. Load a kick chain in, then scroll through slices till you find sample u like. I wouldt fit too many sample chains on the 64mB of space on the DT.,

1 Like

You can just scroll through a dedicated kick folder as well and load the kick you want into a slot. :slight_smile: huge sample chains don’t really work well on the DT anyway.

I think DT and OT both have their purpose. DT is limited, but you can still do many things with it that can result is very cool tracks, probably because of those limitations as well. I might get an OT down the road, just because it is more complex and that’s fun as well.

1 Like

Yeh man…ive had a shot of my friends DT and its defo on my wants list :wink:

Its just been put to 3rd place after TR8S and Digitone came out…lol

Got the mk1 octatrack and preordered the digitakt and received them both at the same time. I started with the digitakt and loved it before I even opened the octatrack box. But once I did I initially didn’t click with it but worked with it more and more and love how much it allowed me to do. I ended up selling the digitakt but have regretted doing that. I never had any of the issues that has been posted with bugs and problems. I loved the sampling capabilities and updated buttons. I will be getting another one eventually but I’ve ran into a different delima, I’ve got the tr-8s now. So that with the octatrack I’m having a hard time justifying what I thoiught was going to be my dream setup with octatrack, digitakt, digitone, a bass machine, and a drone machine.

As stated before, it’s all about what you want. If funds are available to for both (eventually). Learn one then get the other and you’ll have a bad ass setup there.

If a preference for hardware stems from limitations, the Digitakt is the way to go. You can do quite a lot with it, but not everything- if you follow your inclinations enough, eventually you’ll run into the possibility of repeating yourself. With the Digitakt, you’ll run into walls/speed bumps and then accomplishing the designated goal becomes like a puzzle.

It’s actually a lot of fun. Digitakt and Digitone is a modest but complete setup

1 Like

they are great machines. No doubt about that

1 Like

I am still in the “why is doing that phase sometimes”…Only when I am sampling with a trig, the little arrows will start when i dont want them, or keep going, or jump back quickly…But I think I almost have it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I prefer that the Digitakt is limiting. Sometime limitations make one more creative.

To have no limitations i could use a computer and download 1000 vsts. But that’s not what I want. I want to get limited by a device to search for workarounds or new ways of thinking.

3 Likes

Also, I know this is a hardware forum, but if you do have a computer and a decent soundcard, you can do what I am doing- hook up your DT via USB midi to your computer, and trigger a track in Ableton (or whatever DAW you use) via midi, then route the audio from your soundcard to the inputs in the DT…Record. I’m getting near zero latency when triggering vst’s with my Focurite Scarlette. :sunny:

I guess this if for Atoms For Peace but I’ve seen them use the mono machine a lot. Sorry meant elektron in general

This is tuff. Do older OTs run into problems that need $$ fixes or are they all still kicking great?

Thanks i know that video, it’s a machinedrum here can’t identify the device above it.
Saw him using the rytm live, and the AK on a studio pic

That is an amazing work, and shows the DT versatility ! Big up Graves !

1 Like