Digitakt + keystep: using digitakt clock for keystep arpegiator

Hey there.

Is there a way to send the digitakt’s clock to a keystep in order to drive its arpegiator, and then send back the keystep note events to the digitakt ?

1 Like

I haven’t tried it yet but it should be possible, just send MIDI clock from the Digitakt MIDI Out port to the Keystep and select the MIDI sync with the little switches at the back (the two switches should be up). Now the Keystep will be synced to the Digitakt clock, and you can simply connect the Keystep MIDI Out to the Digitakt MIDI In to send the note information into the sequencer. :slight_smile:

EDIT : You also have to enable “Clock Send” on the Digitakt, it’s in Settings > MIDI Config > Sync and it’s disabled by default.

1 Like

Let me know if this ^^^^^ works.

Yes, it does work.

You need two midi cables. DT has the midi clock.
KS midi out goes to DT midi in
KS midi in goes to DT midi out (sync A)
The KS has dip switches on the back, set these to sync from Midi clock in. Set the KS Midi Out to Midi Thru in the KS control center software. Press Play button on KS to get arps and sequences.

6 Likes

Indeed it works ! My setup is this:

• DT’s MIDI out A goes to keystep
  • keystep’s MIDI out goes to DT’s MIDI in
  • DT is sending clock
  • keystep’s clock is set to external
  • digitakt’s tracks 1-8 are receiving notes on channels 1-8
  • channel 16 is dedicated to “auto channel”

That way, I can use keystep’s arpegiator, or not if I press stop.

When the keystep is set to channel 16, I can control the track I’m in, which is perfect for entering notes. If I want to lock the keyboard to a track, I just have to change the channel on the keystep.

With DT’s live recording, I can also record the sequence produced by the arpegiator, so I can free the arpegiator to do something else on another track, which is really neat.

Small caveat: sometimes I have timing issues, which are usually solved by stoping/starting the arpegiator manually.

4 Likes

Can it works backwards?
I mean: can I use the Keystep clock to control Digitakt tempo?

yes, I do this often

2 Likes

Excuse my off-topic but…

I’m getting a Keystep tomorrow and there is one thing I still can’t fully understand.

If I connect the KS Midi out to the DT Midi in… is there any difference between connecting a splitter and some synths to the Midi out of the DT or connecting them to the Midi thru???

MIDI Thru only passes any MIDI information directly from the MIDI IN port. So anything happening on the Digitakt itself won’t be sent through the MIDI thru port. Thus you can use the Keystep to control other synths connected to the Digitakt Midi Thru. But you can’t use the Digitakt to then control those synths unelss they are connected via the splitter. A bit confusing, hope that makes sense.

Thanks a lot
You confirm my fears.
I won’t be able to control my synths via DT and KS at the same time.

In that case I guess I prefer to use the KS to enter notes into the DT sequencer (and as Midi clock) and let DT control the synths.

Tomorrow night will be time to experiment.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a bit of a shame that there’s not an option to turn the MIDI Thru port into a second MIDI Out. I could see that being an option they add in the next OS update. MPC1000s have two MIDI out ports, which was always super helpful.

2 Likes

I think you can do that. Have tried to control first your synth with a midi track in your DT, and then control the midi track with the keystep ?

1 Like