Digitakt isn't recording the right sample length in live mode

Hi dear Elektronauts,

i have a serious trouble with my Digitakt. I really try to cool down to write this, cause i’m almost at the point to throw it out of the window.

I got my favorite Grant Green track running, find a great spot and start recording into the digitakt.
I chop my samples and got them all layered on all 8 audiotracks. Than i adjust the amp decay to note value, so that when i hit a trigger, he’ll play the sample as long as i hold the trigger. Than i start jaming by hitting the different sample loaded tracks and try to find a great progression i like. I found my great progression, i’m happy, now i set the tempo and i am ready to record. Okay, i live record my progression while hitting the triggers, some triggers i have to press longer and some shorter.
After recording i hit play and the sample length of the recorded triggers is not properly recorded. The device sets the value to 16th by itself and the note length data is not recorded. WHY?!!? Im searchings for days for a solution and have tons of compositional ideas but i can’t get them down cause my digitakt is not doing what i tell him to do. 2 weeks ago, he didn’t do this to me. I even startet new projects and tried different pattern slots and banks. Nothing works.
Do you guys have a solution for me? I’d be very thankful!!

Is it a quantizing problem? I think pressing REC-Play twice toggles between quantised and unquantizied modes.

I don’t know if the note length will be recorded though.

(Caveat: also a newbie)

No, it is not a quantization problem. The timing is right, but the length of the notes not. When I record on one track in “chromatic mode” he’ll record the note length, but not when i am hitting different audio tracks.
I hope you guys understand what i mean. Otherwise i’ll make a video and post it

Maybe it’s because you’re overlapping your “slice tracks”, so tracks don’t receive their proper note off message.
Try to add a microspace between trigs in your playing, or record it with only one finger.

1 Like

i totally understand what you mean, jack. i had the exact same problem yesterday. in my case, setting leng in the trig settings to “inf” (after the recording),
readjust the length of the notes. give it a try (if you havnt already) and see if this makes a difference.

2 Likes

I’ve so far only used a single track for “chopping up” a loop with sample start and end locks at each trigger. (Not quite sure I understand your workflow when a loop having to use all the 8 audio tracks.)

But the problem you are having boils down to note length isn’t recorded in live record mode unless you’re in chromatic mode right?

I’ll investigate when I get close to my Digitakt later tonight.

1 Like

Weird.
You might want to declare an anomaly to the support.

In the meantime, you can try with an external keyboard or surface such as QuNeo and see if it works better.
Have you also tried to create an empty project ?

Like you, I do believe note length was being recorded while hitting a beat, when I last did.
To be tested.

1 Like

And here’s the results from the Swedish jury:

1: Live record on a single track (not chromatic mode) and the TRIG length gets recorded just fine.
2. Live record on multiple tracks (not chromatic mode) and the TRIG length does not get recorded.
3. Live record on multiple tracks from external midi controller: The TRIG length gets recorded

5 Likes

Cool thanks for checking it out, yeah, it’s the 2nd point!
so i need to attach an external controller. You think that’s a bug?

I made the test too, my bad it’s definitely not from an overlap possibility. Real problem for finger drumming thought DT haven’t best pads on earth

1 Like

I don’t know, best thing to make a support ticket and let elektron figure that out.

The “Create Ticket” can be found here: https://www.elektron.se/support/?connection=digitakt#resources

1 Like