Digitakt ios connectivity question

Hi guys. just got my hands on a Digitakt. Loving it but at the moment I’m purely sequencing drums. I’d like if possible to have it connected to my ipad with 8 separate ios synths being sent DT midi and the audio being sent back into the DT and out to speakers. Is this possible?
Looked at the iconnectmidi2+ but it looks like it needs to be connected to a computer to function with ios. I wonder if anyones conquered this setup without the use of a DAW or PC/Mac

I’m thinking maybe get a simple iConnectMIDI1 (din midi 1 in 1 out) and then connect the ipad headphone out to the audio ins of the DT…

Thanks in advance for any useful info.

1 Like

i had a iconnectaudio4+, granted the most “complete” one and while i know people that are happy with it, it was just a constant headache for me. every time i sat down to make music with it i would spend time troubleshooting. i use a zoom u-24 and like it a lot. staying away from sequencing too much midi with the digitakt until it is a little more solid though.

Cheers for reply. So is the digitakt connected to ios through midi in your setup? or are you just using the zoom as an audio interface?

midi as well, have not done that with the digitakt for reasons mentioned but have used it many times with my other hardware. the zoom has a lot of monitoring options and sounds pretty decent.

In terms of MIDI only the mio10 has been awesome for working the iPad into the rest of the Elektron setup, I just have it set on the second mio USB port through the camera kit. For audio I’m using a digital mixer as a sound card for the iPad.

You won’t really be able to use the Digitakt like a mixer. Audio monitoring with the Digitakt is summed to mono and won’t go through the FX or anything. If you’re okay with the output being mono and setting audio levels and all through the iPad then it might work, but it’s definitely not ideal.

I believe you could use the Lighting to USB Camera Adapter to connect the Digitakt and iPad for MIDI purposes but I’m not sure. I’m having trouble confirming whether or not the Digitakt is class compliant for USB-MIDI. The iConnectMIDI1 would definitely work if that doesn’t.

You’ll still need something for audio, though. If you had the iRig Pro DUO, for instance, you could plug the Digitakt’s audio outputs and MIDI I/O into it and run everything through the iPad. I believe the Digitakt could still sequence iPad synths over MIDI using that. What you would lose there would be the ability to run audio through the Digitakt.

I’m having trouble thinking of a compact solution that would let you both run audio out of the Digitakt to a set of speakers and run audio into the Digitakt, but someone who’s more familiar with available iOS audio interfaces may be able to help you there.

1 Like

Interesting. I thought the Digitakt was advertised as a 2 in 2 out audio interface. So the two inputs are purely for mono sampling? To be honest my main aim is to have a setup small enough to use while lying on my bed (:-)) so the mono aspect isn’t a deal breaker…

1 Like

It’s an interface with overbridge I believe. Since no overbridge, not an interface yet.

1 Like

That makes sense. So presumably will need to be connected to daw to work as an interface, and to potentially receive audio over usb?

Yep. It almost certainly won’t work as a class-compliant USB audio interface and will need something running the Overbridge software.

1 Like

Appreciate all of your info. One last question. Would it be possible to feed audio into DT ins and monitor it out of the DT out (headphone out for example?? while also monitoring the 8 sequenced drum tracks? So essentially will the audio be mixed in the box?

1 Like

I’m using also ZOOM u-24, good sound card, but I feed iPad into Alesis IO dock (it has also midi in/out + audio out) and from there to U-24 to amp.

Reason for that is that I can sequence iPad and a laptop from DT at the same time, even with an external keyboard midi controller.

2 Likes

I am using the Keith mcmillen kmix. Ipad pro. Launchpad XL and eventide space reverb all in a portable flight case and battery powered. Kmix is rock solid. AD DA interface. Midi and mixer in one. Not cheap but miles ahead in terms of size and options.

2 Likes

Hmmm. I have a friend who has one that he has not even hooked up for a couple of years that i might be able to trade for. Hadn’t really looked at it but you post made me look up the specs. Pretty cool

weird how there aren’t any used ones anywhere. one store has one but still near full price.

I would be screwed without mine. There’s no alternative.

Been looking for something similar myself. If you were to cast your eye over the specs, what advantage in your opinion would the k mix have over for instance the soundcraft mtk range?

1 Like

I thought, “ooh. A competitor!” and had a look. It does look like a good desk but it’s just that. A mixing desk. Kmix is a mixer audio interface and midi controller.
I suppose the question is how big is your backpack? :wink: Kmix is truly portable. Truly. Plugs into apple cck and u have all the channels in bm3 aum ab3 etc.
There IS a concession on channels and rout-ability but still there is no other product even close. I have audio channels and effects returns setup. It fits in my smallish flight case along with 2 big arse batteries. digitakt. ipad. eventide space and novation launchpad xl. There is nothing else available that I know of that would make this possible.

1 Like

Yeah the midi controller aspect definitely sets it apart, although the soundcrafts 22 USB AUDIO outputs straight from the DAW Is impressive and offers loads of flexibility.

Can you break down how your above setup works? Does it need a Mac / PC in there somewhere or are you routing all midi / audio through the K Mix standalone?

Korg PlugKey might be your thing. Audio out from your iPad and a din-midi input.

Digitakt is mono when monitoring so running the audio from the iPad and Digitakt into a small mixer is something that I would prefer.

1 Like